How does one get 'signed'?

PDA

View Full Version : How does one get 'signed'?

Cheesepuff
01-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Play gigs, sell demos, send indie label a press kit. Is that all there is to it? What if the label doesn't read your press kit?

How do you get signed? (to an indie label because major label signage really is super impossible)

ext1jdh
01-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Be extremely lucky.

Also, naked drummer.

mccreadyfan01
01-21-2010, 11:05 AM
very carefully lol i dunno.... i was wonderin the same thing.

Warpigcessec
01-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Only logical thing I can think of is, Play alot of good music, at a low of gigs, try to connect with some bands already signed to indie records, be good friends (Yes brown the the f**k out of them) and then ask them if they could put in a good word for you. If that doesnt work well, play naked with sparklers coming out of your ass......it gets attention.

The-Fiction
01-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Pretty much what you just said. A decent established fanbase is also helpful, if a label sees that you have people who will buy your CD then they would be more likely to sign you.

They are hoping you will bring in money after all ;)

koslack
01-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Prove that you can be profitable. That's it, in a nutshell.

Crizzle
01-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Be extremely lucky.

Also, naked drummer.

The rocker (H)

ext1jdh
01-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Aye, if you havent seen The Rocker, see it immediately. It's like a how-to guide on getting signed.

lol

chokmool
01-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Find someone like Brian Epstein, Col. Tom Parker, or Malcolm Mclaren to manage you, or have a famous parent. A bit snarky perhaps, but not far off. At some point, you have to be noticed and liked by someone with the clout and connections to go to bat for you with the labels. Also as Koslack says, that person will need to believe that you can make them and other people some serious amounts of money.

CODE
01-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Thirded on money.

It is all that matters to labels that are worthwhile to working musicians.

z4twenny
01-21-2010, 07:06 PM
i've seen people ask this and i've seen alot of good answers in the past which generally boil down to
1) write good music and get a large fanbase - ie: alot of hard work
2) be lucky

so it basically boils down to ALOT of hard work and luck.

axemanchris
01-21-2010, 08:25 PM
koslac+chok+code

=+1

CT

JagStang5246
01-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Be good at what you do and send a lot of demos to a lot fo indie labels. My band is trying to get signed at the moment. We just recorded a few songs and we're getting our press kit together to send to some indie labels.

Gurgle!Argh!
01-22-2010, 07:19 AM
please, UG, stop thinking about this. most bands are crappy, and for the bands that aren't, things tend to fall into place with a little bit of wherewithal. chances are, this isn't something you should be worrying about. if you've been playing for two or three years and you're having trouble breaking to the next level, maybe that is when you start posting about this.

kyle62
01-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Prove that you can be profitable. That's it, in a nutshell.
Sopt on. You're selling a product, nothing more.

chokmool
01-22-2010, 12:15 PM
please, UG, stop thinking about this. most bands are crappy, and for the bands that aren't, things tend to fall into place with a little bit of wherewithal. chances are, this isn't something you should be worrying about. if you've been playing for two or three years and you're having trouble breaking to the next level, maybe that is when you start posting about this.

True. The only exception I take to your post is about things falling into place with a little bit of wherewithal.

To get a label that can really help you, you will probably have to be much farther along than most people think. If you're at the top of your genre in a major market, that's when you have a chance to get noticed. That takes a great deal of hard work and time, not just a bit of wherewithal. If you're being approached before then, beware, it is probably a vanity label.

CODE
01-25-2010, 01:28 AM
It takes a while to realize that you suck/aren't as super amazing as you thought when you are first in a band that writes/records/plays. I remember getting really stoked on songs we wrote, recorded, and played and then I noticed we kind of sucked and it takes you down a few notches once you get off the initial buzz of starting a band.

Northernmight
01-25-2010, 05:33 AM
Play good music. And care about your music.

Helloween_rox
01-25-2010, 02:45 PM
You could just do what Deicide did and walk into a record exec's office and say "Don't be a f*cking asshole, please sign us."