Heavy covers set list

PDA

View Full Version : Heavy covers set list

Helloween_rox
01-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Ok, well it seems my idea for a band hasn't really panned out that well in the past. I was thinking about trying to start one up in the near future but do mostly covers to begin with, with a decent amount of originals thrown in the mix, both to demonstrate my ability as a musician and to get recognized faster (because lets face it, good covers do get you noticed more than an original, no matter how good it tends to be). I can play a decent amount of songs, and was wondering how these songs would mesh well with some originals I've done:

AC/DC- Thunderstruck
Alice In Chains- A Little Bitter, All Secrets Known, Hate To Feel
Behemoth- Conquer All
CKY- 96 Quite Bitter Beings
Disturbed- Perfect Insanity
Drowning Pool- Bodies
Fear Factory- Transgression
Godsmack- Vampires, Whiskey Hangover
Jane's Addiction- Mountain Song
Judas Priest- Breaking The Law
Korpiklaani- Vodka
Megadeth- Kill The King
Metallica- For Whom The Bell Tolls
Ministry- Lies Lies Lies
Rammstein- Ich Will, Zwitter, P*ssy, Links 2 3 4, Feuer Frei!
Rob Zombie- Superbeast, Meet The Creeper
Shinedown- Sound Of Madness
System of A Down- Aerials

I do want to play all or most of these songs in the same night. My old guitar instructor's cover band would do a rather extensive set list where they'd be booked to play for 3 or 4 hours, with a few breaks in between, and a few originals thrown in the mix. What I want to do is end up being known as the area's heaviest cover band because I'm tired of going to bars and seeing cover bands, but then they all play the same stuff (crazy train, hard to handle, numerous nicklef@g songs, etc.).

classicrocker01
01-23-2010, 11:25 PM
If it was me, I'd start with Bodies and end with For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Helloween_rox
01-23-2010, 11:34 PM
I've been working on a metal version of Mountain Song with the rhythym changed to gallops, and was gonna use that to open with, and end with either Vodka or Aerials.

EvilAngel93
01-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Start with All Secrets Known, it's an awesome song and wouldn't fit elsewhere.
And may I suggest Love Hate Love instead of A Little Bitter?
And Aerials is great for a song at the end.

I'm just going to go ahead and say, this is an awesome setlist :cheers:

Black Star
01-24-2010, 01:38 AM
I don't care what anybody else says: you should only do a covers setlist if you're going to do relatively popular music. That's the only way you'll truly get noticed doing covers. Otherwise, you might as well just do originals; you'll have a better shot that way.

The only songs I'd keep on your setlist are:

AC/DC- Thunderstruck
Drowning Pool- Bodies
Godsmack- Whiskey Hangover
Jane's Addiction- Mountain Song
Judas Priest- Breaking The Law
Metallica- For Whom The Bell Tolls
Shinedown- Sound Of Madness
System of A Down- Aerials

Also, you do realize that "nicklef@g" are not only huge fans of Pantera and Metallica, but they have even played Four Horsemen live, and in my opinion, better than Metallica themselves do. Calling a band "nicklef@g" isn't going to make you cooler, more brutal, kvlter, or anything of the sort. It just brings out your immaturity.

SilentHeaven109
01-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Also, you do realize that "nicklef@g" are not only huge fans of Pantera and Metallica, but they have even played Four Horsemen live, and in my opinion, better than Metallica themselves do. Calling a band "nicklef@g" isn't going to make you cooler, more brutal, kvlter, or anything of the sort. It just brings out your immaturity.

:golfclap:

Nickelback are great musicians and put on a great live show, the bandwagon's getting just a bit overcrowded I think.

Firstly TS, if I joined a band and one member expected us to play an already chosen setlist and I had no input, I would leave. You'll have to discuss your setlist with your bandmates, no-one likes a dictator.

Secondly, there's probably a reason why those song are played by a lot of bands, they're popular and people like them, and I would say that a few of the songs on your list are overplayed, by your standards at least.

It is true that covers will get you noticed more quickly, I was talking to a guy in a guitar shop yesterday who regularly plays pub gigs in Birmingham, and the venues he plays at don't even accept original bands, so I'll agree with you that covers may be best to begin with, while gradually sneaking in a few originals.

If I were you, I would find focus on finding members and picking a few songs together, and gradually building your repetoire, it will definitely take a while to get together the kind of setlist you're hoping for and to have it tight and perfect with a full band.

Helloween_rox
01-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Firstly TS, if I joined a band and one member expected us to play an already chosen setlist and I had no input, I would leave. You'll have to discuss your setlist with your bandmates, no-one likes a dictator.

I never said I wasn't open to suggestions or even a different set list, I'm just saying those are the ones I'd most want to play and that I'd think people would really enjoy hearing covers of as a breath of fresh air from what seems like the exact same set list that circulates between pretty much every cover band out there. I'm definitely open to expanding that list or rotating in other songs. I also picked them because the rhythym parts are relatively simple and my soloing isn't that great for the most part, unlike one of my friend's, whose soloing is epic, and who shares almost the exact same taste in music as I do, so I know he wouldn't have an objection to any of those songs.

I don't hate them to try and be cool. I don't do anything to try and be cool (well aside from trying to get a band started, but that's more for my own enjoyment, but part of that comes from people liking what you do and giving you accolades for it). I hate Nickleback because they couldn't be more generic, emotionless, and vanilla if they tried, not to mention the singer's a giant douche, and his voice is particularly iriitating to me.

isaac_bandits
01-25-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't hate them to try and be cool. I don't do anything to try and be cool (well aside from trying to get a band started, but that's more for my own enjoyment, but part of that comes from people liking what you do and giving you accolades for it). I hate Nickleback because they couldn't be more generic, emotionless, and vanilla if they tried, not to mention the singer's a giant douche, and his voice is particularly iriitating to me.

That's still no reason to use homophobic slurs...

scguitarking927
01-25-2010, 05:40 PM
nickel-backs honestly one of the better live shows I've seen lol, they put on a good show.

OP, I would honestly worry more about getting members together first, then maybe get their input on what songs they think would be a good fit :peace:

axemanchris
01-25-2010, 09:44 PM
I've often thought it would be an interesting experiment to take a given set list, go to a bar that you would intend to play at, and ask people there what songs on that list THEY would like to hear.

Or better yet... talk to the owner/manager/booker. He/She will have seen pretty well every cover band around go through their doors and will be able to tell you what will work and what won't. Ask them what songs to keep and which to kill.

I'd be inclined to agree with Black Star's assessment otherwise.

I think if you took half of those songs and asked people if they recognized them, they'd say, "what song?" Yeah, do AIC, but do a hit. It's not like they don't have a few to choose from in case Man in the Box doesn't float your boat. And if someone says, "by who?" then it really better be one of those songs that everyone knows otherwise. (like *everyone* knows Thrash Unreal, though they might not recognize the name "Against Me!" so readily. There are surely better examples....)

The thing about doing Nickelback is that they can be pretty divisive to who will like it and who won't. The haters will say, "Aw, man.... I can't believe they're actually playing Nickelback." The fans will be happy (you don't think they have fans? Look at the charts, people... look at the charts!!), but because loads of people out there actually DO do Nickelback, unless you do it well, your weaknesses will only be exposed. (unless of course you already have them wound up and eating out of the palm of your hand)

And yes, I'll say it....In that regard, doing Nickelback is almost like doing Zeppelin. Loads of people (like me) are sick to bloody death of the zillions of bands that get up and do Whole Lotta Love or Misty Mountain Hop or whatever. If you're going to do Zep.... you better bloody well nail it, and nail it hard. Otherwise, I'm rolling my eyes, and maybe stepping outside to keep my friend company while he goes for a smoke break.

CT

Helloween_rox
01-25-2010, 11:36 PM
And yes, I'll say it....In that regard, doing Nickelback is almost like doing Zeppelin. Loads of people (like me) are sick to bloody death of the zillions of bands that get up and do Whole Lotta Love or Misty Mountain Hop or whatever. If you're going to do Zep.... you better bloody well nail it, and nail it hard. Otherwise, I'm rolling my eyes, and maybe stepping outside to keep my friend company while he goes for a smoke break.

CT

It's funny you mention Zepplin along with Nickleback, as they're pretty much the 2 bands I'd absolutely refuse to do covers of. Nickleback, for my afforementioned undying hatred of them, and Zepplin for a couple reasons. One- they're overplayed to all hell. Two- I've never heard a good cover of Zepplin. Ever. No matter what cover band does them, they always completely brutalize Zepplin (and not in the good death metal/kvlt way). No one, IMO, can do their stuff anywhere near as good as them.

If I'm going to do AIC (and I will), I'd much rather do a lesser known hit than Man In The Box for a few reasons. One is the same reason as why I won't do Zepplin- no one I've ever heard can do an even halfway decent cover of it. This also hurts just that much more because Man In The Box is my favorite AIC song and to hear someone kill it just disheartens me. I also want to do lesser known songs but of popular artists like AIC, because I want to make people think a little bit and have them ask themselves "oh hey, I recognize that band, but I can't quite place what the name of that song is. I'll have to ask them what it is when they're done".

Northernmight
01-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Start with something everybody knows.. Like Breaking the Law or For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Black Star
01-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Why not do a lesser known, but still somewhat recognizable song by AIC, like Would?, Them Bones, or Bleed the Freak?

Helloween_rox
01-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Why not do a lesser known, but still somewhat recognizable song by AIC, like Would?, Them Bones, or Bleed the Freak?

Well the AIC songs I picked are on their greatest hits album, so I'm pretty sure enough people know them.

Black Star
01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
1. Man in the Box
2. Them Bones
3. Rooster
4. Angry Chair
5. Would?
6. No Excuses
7. I Stay Away
8. Grind
9. Heaven Beside You
10. Again

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's their "Greatest Hits" CD. What you listed was the "Essentials" CD. Their essentials CD includes almost all their singles, as well as "fan favorites". Neither of those necessarily mean the average person will know all of those songs. However, by picking off the actual "Greatest Hits", you have a better shot at people recognizing the song.

Highwaytohell
01-28-2010, 06:30 PM
you do understand the whole point of a cover band is to play songs people know right?

axemanchris
01-31-2010, 12:05 PM
There's a sticky for this sort of thing.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290962

CT