Which Name-Logo Combination? Open To Suggestions.

PDA

View Full Version : Which Name-Logo Combination? Open To Suggestions.

Sami Philadelph
01-24-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm in a thrash metal band, although, it's not the Violent Death Metal oriented kind. It's sound is much lighter and hard rock/punk influenced. You can find some of the music here if it helps you decide, www.myspace.com/killingreich. I've a few logos and names, but I don't know, for one which name to choose, and which logo style to go with. I've reduced it down to two styles and 3 names. Which do you all like the best, if any? If not, I'm open to suggestions for names and descriptions of styles.

Infinity
http://i47.tinypic.com/nqsp3m.gif

Killing Reich
http://i49.tinypic.com/b88owo.gif

Vilarum
http://i46.tinypic.com/2jdgu4j.gif

I was fine with Killing Reich until it was brought up that it sounded Neo-nazi, silly me missed that first go 'round. So thats why I want to change it. Vilarum was the name before, but I didn't like it that much.

EDIT:

Submachine Guns

http://i47.tinypic.com/b4i0ph.gif

http://i48.tinypic.com/25h33ib.gif

this is another one that I made before I got the wonderful advice below, its also the current scheme for the myspace

von gelb
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Killing Reich reminds me of Sacred Reich too much, although it's the best logo you came up with.

ComradSputnik
01-24-2010, 09:04 AM
infinity is a bit cheesy
the second is too nazi
the third is ugly

sorry

FatStrat890
01-24-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't like infinity.
The second one could go either way.
The third one i like the most, both the name and the logo.

Sami Philadelph
01-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Hmmm, any suggestions on names?

Wretched_Spawn
01-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Try the third name but using the font you used for the second.

isaac_bandits
01-24-2010, 09:52 AM
I like the concept you used for the Infinity logo, although I'm not sure the name works well. Maybe if you added another word or something, but kept the idea of infinity, it might be better.

The Killing Reich logo looked pretty plain, and I felt the name sounded kind of cliché for a thrash band. Is that what your going for?

The Vilarum logo looked like it was tending to more of black metal stylings. I didn't like the inverted V superimposed on the V, as it made it look like XXilarum. I'm also not sure on the name. I've never heard that word before. What does it mean? Where did you get it from?

And how did you make the logo's? The look well made, and can't have been all that hard if you went through the trouble of making 3.

kyle62
01-24-2010, 10:13 AM
First two logos look crap. Overuse of Photoshop blending effects does not equal good deisgn. Vilariu is good but the logo is impossilbe to read, tone back the 'v' a bit.

Sami Philadelph
01-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Adobe Image Ready, it's a photo-based app included with Photoshop. It is quite easy actually, easier than it looks that is. Although, many people become intimidated from all the knobs and such, but once you learn where everything is, its more of a matter of knowing what to click and being creative than anything else.

Vilarum is a made up word taking the latin root arum, which I believe means mind/brain, and adding it to vile.

And yeah, I don't mind cheese, just not TOO MUCH. All my favorite metal bands are cheese, Megadeth,Judas Priest,Iron Maiden, i think it comes with the territory. Unlike most thrash bands though, I don't prefer the stripped-down aesthetic, I'm more geared toward huge larger than life spectacles in vein of Kiss and the excess of 80's hard rock. Its just more fun to me. So I kind of need a name thats aggressive but definitely doesn't have anyone think we're gonna sound like Slayer or the Bay Area scene.

kyle62
01-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Adobe Image Ready, it's a photo-based app included with Photoshop. It is quite easy actually, easier than it looks that is. Although, many people become intimidated from all the knobs and such, but once you learn where everything is, its more of a matter of knowing what to click and being creative than anything else.
you're doing pretty damn well, yo be honest. The first two are typical 'new to Photoshop' fare, where you go mad with effects and such, but the third one is a pretty balanced and mature piece of design.

Keep it simple (one or two colours) and legible.

lespaul1216
01-24-2010, 10:23 AM
i think the third one, but re-work the logo a tiny bit

EL2T
01-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Reich means empire, the Nazis were the Third Reich (The First was the Holy Roman Empire, the second was the German Empire up to 1918). Its not a Nazi term, so if you like it, then use it or find the same word from another language...

My 2 cents...

Sami Philadelph
01-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks...
You said Holy Roman Empire and I instantly thought "THAT! I WANT THAT!" but its taken, damn punk band.

I guess first things first is finding a name that'll stick. It should be noted that the colors aren't permanent,those were just the colors I had on there at the time of saving the gif.

Any name suggestions before I go somewhere with the logos?

Mephysteaux
01-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Graphic designer here with some input one the logos themselves.

My issue with the first 2. Try to think of a band that has a 3D logo like that, or a professional company for that matter. Can you? Because I can't. It's not really considered a good design practice. Also, as a rule of thumb, a logo should be able to work in black and white before you consider colorizing it.

The second one isn't as bad, except it's a little hard to read. First time I saw it I thought it said XXilarum. Then I saw VVilarum, then Wilarum, before finally seeing the actual band name.

And as for the name Killing Reich, even though it's not a specifically Nazi term, a lot of people don't know that. People are pretty quick to jump on Nazi accusations, like how Moonsorrow was accused of being Nazi because the S in their logo looked like the one the SS used, and Slayer was as well for some misinterpreted song titles, even though half the band is Hispanic.

Northernmight
01-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Killing Reich for sure.. Who the hell cares if it sounds neo-nazi anyway? The type of thrash i know is usually about big German Panzer-squads rolling over the battlefield! Goes good for Thrash!

I mean.. if you aren't nazi's, then just say you aren't nazi's if it's brought up. And if you are.. Well, then it doesn't matter anyway, because Nazi's kinda rule. oh yes, i said it.

phoenix_crush
01-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Killing Reich for sure.. Who the hell cares if it sounds neo-nazi anyway? The type of thrash i know is usually about big German Panzer-squads rolling over the battlefield! Goes good for Thrash!

I mean.. if you aren't nazi's, then just say you aren't nazi's if it's brought up. And if you are.. Well, then it doesn't matter anyway, because Nazi's kinda rule. oh yes, i said it.
what a bad ass :rolleyes:

ext1jdh
01-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Superb Jupiter And The Intergalactic Squirt
Advancing Introvert
Unison Subconscious
Lollipop Sand
Toward Fun
Professor Crayon
Muffled Cleft And The Fuse
Occasional Orbit
Biscuit Of Sunlight
Field Sabbath Of The Solid Creme
Dynasty Baby
Spy Contest
Worthless Portion
Wishing Breed
Federation Perception
Ambitious Pulse
Gourmet Pole
Compulsive Sodium
Supreme Fascination
Xenophobe Of Mall

I kinda like "Professor Crayon"

garrettj
01-26-2010, 03:28 PM
the name shud be seeing out the orpheus

RHunterGN
01-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Graphic designer here with some input one the logos themselves.

My issue with the first 2. Try to think of a band that has a 3D logo like that, or a professional company for that matter. Can you? Because I can't. It's not really considered a good design practice. Also, as a rule of thumb, a logo should be able to work in black and white before you consider colorizing it.

The second one isn't as bad, except it's a little hard to read. First time I saw it I thought it said XXilarum. Then I saw VVilarum, then Wilarum, before finally seeing the actual band name.

And as for the name Killing Reich, even though it's not a specifically Nazi term, a lot of people don't know that. People are pretty quick to jump on Nazi accusations, like how Moonsorrow was accused of being Nazi because the S in their logo looked like the one the SS used, and Slayer was as well for some misinterpreted song titles, even though half the band is Hispanic.
I agree with this. But I do have more to add. I'm not a Graphic Designer, but I do want to minor in Graphic Designing and aI've taken a few classes already.

I honestly do not like text only logos. I find them bland and boring. Text and some sort of design in, around or on the text makes a logo so miuch better, in my opinion. I really like the name Vilarum. Its not too corny, its not overly aggressive, etc. I also like the logo, witht eh exception of the V. That definately needs to just be a V. But keep the snake as a major component of the logo. While just using the name of the band as the logo is easily identifiable, what is the point of a logo then? I think it is important to have something symbolize your band. Like for my band, I write songs that refer to myths, aliens and cryptids. SO of course I worked the name of the band into the logo, but I used a symbol to kind of define the band. This way you get teh full meaning of the band. I realize a lot of the bands that made it huge pretty much just have their band name as their logo. But I find it much more attractive to have a symbol somewhere in the logo.

And like I said, the snake works very well in the logo. If you get rid of the double V, you can even intertwine the snake on the V. But that is just a suggestion.

Sami Philadelph
01-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks all, I'm surprised at the detailed messages some of you left!
It's really appreciated, I'm editing the post with a new logo for the name "Submachine Guns" I'm also thinking of maybe using "Machine Guns" or just "The Guns", but since everyone likes Vilarum, I could easily tone down the V and go back to that, because even though I like to make the logos and come up with the names, I couldn't care about them, I really just want a name that doesn't hold me back or sounds ridiculous later on. (Which is the only real problem I have with Submachine Guns)

Sami Philadelph
02-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Eh, after the "Sexmachine Guns" have been brought to my attention, I hate the name and the Sexmachine guns, and the guy who told me about them. Go figure.

I'm Thinking of...

Killing Incoporated, Kill Inc, Or Killing Inc as an allusion to Megadeths first album, Killing Is My Business.

or

Vilarum.

isaac_bandits
02-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Eh, after the "Sexmachine Guns" have been brought to my attention, I hate the name and the Sexmachine guns, and the guy who told me about them. Go figure.

I'm Thinking of...

Killing Incoporated, Kill Inc, Or Killing Inc as an allusion to Megadeths first album, Killing Is My Business.

or

Vilarum.

Killing Inc sounds too much like Metallica's Damage Inc.

Sami Philadelph
02-01-2010, 11:33 AM
^ Hmm, agreed.

Vilarum it is then, as it seems to be the most popular.

How are you guys pronouncing this anyway?

VIH-LAR-RUM (rum as in bacardi, vilar as in short vowel i, lar as in are/car)

or VILE-A-RUM (vil as in vile, a as in shor vowel a, rum as in bacardi)

or any other ways? I'm curious as its been brought to my attention it can go both ways. I don't care really. So how have you guys been pronouncing it?

isaac_bandits
02-01-2010, 11:52 AM
^ Hmm, agreed.

Vilarum it is then, as it seems to be the most popular.

How are you guys pronouncing this anyway?

VIH-LAR-RUM (rum as in bacardi, vilar as in short vowel i, lar as in are/car)

or VILE-A-RUM (vil as in vile, a as in shor vowel a, rum as in bacardi)

or any other ways? I'm curious as its been brought to my attention it can go both ways. I don't care really. So how have you guys been pronouncing it?

In my head I've been pronouncing it like [vɪl 'ɛɹ ʌm]

EL2T
02-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Option 1... :)