my band torn between genres

PDA

View Full Version : my band torn between genres

User_Name336
01-25-2010, 12:19 AM
we're working on both acoustic and electric stuff. as of currently, its almost all acoustic because we're working on more of a side project until we hammer out some problems of the full band.

anyway, we're into all sorts of genres form across the board but we're stuck deciding what to really go for. our singer (who is a guitarist) believes we should do a happy thing. a lot of finger picking (almost classical style kind of thing) on some songs or Jason Mraz / Carly Rae Jepsen (she has a great acoustic based album) for other songs. our lyrics for this are a little cliche, but what can you expect from a bunch of teenagers :p:

now i think this is great, but i tend to write things that are more along the lines of A Perfect Circle, Evans Blue, 10 Years, etc. depressing, creepy, and very moody/emotional songs. and i write the lyrics to back it.

we all love both styles and are torn between them because we cant do both in one show (lack of guitars to switch between tunings). we can play both equally well (i'm weaker at the first, he's weaker at the second). we're capable of pulling off either one, but since we're just about to start getting into gigging as an acoustic band (nobody knows of us as one) we want to know what sort of things we should focus on. we can play both styles equally well and are fine with either, but we dont have the means to pull off both at any one show.

whats your opinions on this. what should we do?
(we've gotten about equal compliments on both styles when we played for friends, and we enjoy both equally as well)

cobracarg
01-25-2010, 12:26 AM
go for the happy side.... there are far too many bands now that think that depressing stuff is cool

justinb904
01-25-2010, 12:30 AM
might be able to pull off both at one gig if you had a couple of intermediate songs to use as a transition

RockRoots42
01-25-2010, 12:32 AM
well, if you cant decide, you can always go the easy route and play one style during one show, then next style during next show, or that kindof thing, until you can get the other things nesicary to play a mix of both. and since you said nobody knows of you as an acoustic band, i assume you are already sortof know as electric right? so you can just say what style your gunna be playing at each show in whatever adds your doing? i hope that makes sence haha, unless ive assumed something and am not right

User_Name336
01-25-2010, 12:46 AM
no more electric shows for a while. we're sick of playing metal/hard rock. we also lost a member for reasons i'm not going to get into and we dont feel the need to reform an electric band until we figure out an acoustic thing first. we may not even go back to electric. time will tell. the thing is though, we'd like to have a set genre down so we dont look strange to any fans we may get (playing upbeat and happy at one show, then depressing and creepy at the next). we'd also like to be able to focus more on one set genre to build up a uniqueness rather than work two totally different styles.

we've tried incorporating both styles into a single song, but so far we had no luck (sounds REALLY odd and quite terrible together).

CODE
01-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Check out the band Good Old War, they will make you want to play happy stuff.

Zycho
01-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Why not try to combine the two?

User_Name336
01-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Why not try to combine the two?
as previously mentioned, we have and still are. it always comes out terrible sounding. its really difficult to combine a happy upbeat style with a creepy depressing style and make it sound anything better than a horrible mess that shouldn't be

Northernmight
01-25-2010, 06:17 AM
Go for the first one, if you don't have the option to mix them.

Since well, i am by no means a big fan of "happy" music, but as said, there's too many teenagers playing music about depression and shizzle these days. With option 1, you could actually do something different from "What's cool" in most teenage musician circles, and if you can make it work. well then it works, and you've got something fairly unique.

And honestly, it sounds bloody fun to play happy songs from lollipop land live. Gotta be the most joyful experience ever. You could always make an exact opposite album in the future with the other influences just to.. do something different.

phoenix_crush
01-25-2010, 09:24 AM
I think theres too many people playing happy acoustic stuff, if you decide to go that route try to make it different

ArcadianWarrior
01-25-2010, 11:22 AM
I know you said it comes out terrible, but keep trying. In my opinion the best bands are the ones who don't stick to one genre. I love it when bands experiment and don't just sound like one thing. So personally I would just keep trying to go for the combination thing. The best of both worlds :)

dullsilver_mike
01-25-2010, 02:06 PM
we're working on both acoustic and electric stuff. as of currently, its almost all acoustic because we're working on more of a side project until we hammer out some problems of the full band.

anyway, we're into all sorts of genres form across the board but we're stuck deciding what to really go for. our singer (who is a guitarist) believes we should do a happy thing. a lot of finger picking (almost classical style kind of thing) on some songs or Jason Mraz / Carly Rae Jepsen (she has a great acoustic based album) for other songs. our lyrics for this are a little cliche, but what can you expect from a bunch of teenagers :p:

now i think this is great, but i tend to write things that are more along the lines of A Perfect Circle, Evans Blue, 10 Years, etc. depressing, creepy, and very moody/emotional songs. and i write the lyrics to back it.

Go listen to most of the 90's acoustic pop rock. It's almost all happy melodies with depressing, dark lyrics. Most of it has a folk feel with acoustic, mandos, even accordions, but then electric guitars are guarunteed to enter each song at least once. Check out some of the big bands of that era: Counting Crows, Wallflowers, even Barenaked ladies. They all conjur up happy thoughts right? Their mid 90s music is some pretty damn dark stuff.

I'm not saying you should mimic that style, I'm saying the two sounds you're going for here are definitely reconcilable. Listening to those groups might help you develop some strategies for creating your own combination.

Alternatively, put in the extra work and play two sets at each show (under different band names or outfits or whatever for fun if you want) one set where you do each type of music. It could be a fun gimmick that people latch on to.

teecamo
01-25-2010, 03:08 PM
I think the biggest thing is to stay true to yourself. I mean, whatever you gotta do to get your music out, do it. I feel like most people want sincerity and feel that more than acoustic/electric.

Kyle.E
01-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Combined them. Could call yourselves "Ironic". Would pose an interesting contrast.

AlanHB
01-26-2010, 06:16 AM
The same people playing the same instruments will generally make similar sounding music, despite how different you think it may sound. Don't worry about picking a genre, it'll just sort itself out.

Mr.Cuddles
01-26-2010, 10:21 AM
The same people playing the same instruments will generally make similar sounding music, despite how different you think it may sound. Don't worry about picking a genre, it'll just sort itself out.
yes, keep working on mixing them, the more genres infuencing you the better.
my band listens to
Rock, Classical, Bues, Funk, Indie, Metal (most sub-genres), Soul, Country and Alternative.
we sound very alternative in my opinion, but thats because the two main songwriters (me[drums+slide guitar], and the singer/keys player's favorite bands are muse and radiohead.)

Anteaterking
01-26-2010, 12:33 PM
I think it's in your best interest to realize that the songs you write are probably only half as creepy/depressing as you actually think they are. With that in mind, are they still effective on the audience?

User_Name336
01-26-2010, 12:49 PM
well, we've only played these things for friends so far. we're getting ready to start gigging again as an acoustic band and other bands have told us that (especially for open mic nights) they demand you write in a genre so they sort of get a flow to it. we're pretty well reestablishing ourselves with this acoustic band.

i guess all i'm really asking is if you guys would rather listen to an acoustic band that plays things similar to what 10 Years, Evans Blue, etc does when they go acoustic, or if you'd rather listen to something more along the lines of Jason Mraz or Carly Rae Jepsen with a slight classical influence.

6stringbassist
01-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Try maybe melding the sounds together. It shouldn't be too difficult. We play progressive hardcore death metal, and we have songs that you would usually be tuned down to C or B, in D standard. You can make it work.