UK Subs

PDA

View Full Version : UK Subs

DempseyPunk
01-25-2010, 01:06 AM
I was surprised there's no thread for em.

Sooooo. Anyone else f*cking love these guys? Ive been a huge fan for years, especially for charlies side projects and solo work. They have a crap load of albums, some being a bit more poppy, but most are just gold to me. They've influenced me a ton. How bout you guys?
My favorite songs gotta be
Stranglehold
War of the Roses
Endangered Species
War Babies

RockThe40oz
01-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Never really listened to them that much. Don't have a strong opinion on them either way.

TN_BOOTBOY
01-25-2010, 08:48 AM
One of my favorite bands. I've got so much respect for Charlie Harper because of the sheer fact that he's real. He has no problem loading in his own gear. Will sit at the merch booth. And loves just hanging out with everyone during the show and watching the other bands. They crashed at my house back in '92 or '93 and we had a blast. And while I was playing with Cretin Grims about 3 or 4 years back, we opened for them here in Nashville. Awesome band.

BrianApocalypse
01-25-2010, 11:00 AM
I think some of his older stuff's alright, but I think it sucks that he's modernised his music to the extent that he has.

It's not as bad as the punk band abrasive wheels (who are spineless c*nts in every definition of the word), but he's getting here.

I want to hear the UK subs, not god damn d beat drumming.

lavazza
01-25-2010, 02:56 PM
I absolutely like Warhead, without any real reason, but it´s a really great song. Apart from that I know like a dozen of their other songs, they are ok, but I know what Mat means I think

emery01
01-25-2010, 10:24 PM
They're pretty awesome.

But, I saw them play in Perth last year and to be perfectly honest, it was kind of sad.

I mean, Charlie was pretty great, but the guitarist was one of those old dudes who uses really lame guitars (I think it was some kind of Godin or PRS, totally not punk) and has a really lame tone and is just generally really... Lame.

The drummer was good, but he looked like he was in Blink in the later days.

And the bassist was some kind of french punk, with this ridiculous mullet/mohawk thing.

I also couldn't help but be disappointed that they didn't play Down on the Farm. I mean, it's a classic, why not play it?

I guess I would have preferred to have seen them in their heyday.

skatinpunk
01-25-2010, 10:48 PM
what albums would you guys recommend to me for a first legit listen?

RockThe40oz
01-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Meh.. listened to them today at work and was pretty uninterested.

lavazza
01-26-2010, 05:51 AM
Why is a PRS not punk? (I know their prices, but if you´re hinting on that, why no complains about real Gibson or real Fender?)

DempseyPunk
01-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Just buy the greatest hits album :Before You Were Punk"

It has most of the basics

werty22
01-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Why is a PRS not punk? (I know their prices, but if you´re hinting on that, why no complains about real Gibson or real Fender?)
I think he was being facetious.

BR0KENHEARTED
01-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Just buy the greatest hits album :Before You Were Punk"

It has most of the basics

I was punk before these fools.

TN_BOOTBOY
01-26-2010, 09:54 PM
They're pretty awesome.

But, I saw them play in Perth last year and to be perfectly honest, it was kind of sad.

I mean, Charlie was pretty great, but the guitarist was one of those old dudes who uses really lame guitars (I think it was some kind of Godin or PRS, totally not punk) and has a really lame tone and is just generally really... Lame.

The drummer was good, but he looked like he was in Blink in the later days.

And the bassist was some kind of french punk, with this ridiculous mullet/mohawk thing.

I also couldn't help but be disappointed that they didn't play Down on the Farm. I mean, it's a classic, why not play it?

I guess I would have preferred to have seen them in their heyday.That's the original guitar player. And those guitars are hard to find. There's not any one certain guitar that's "punk". Hell, in the mid to late 80's all the bands were playing Jacksons and Ibanez.

jakesmellspoo
01-27-2010, 11:07 PM
the only UK Subs song I know is their cover of Nirvana's "Stay Away" I liked it... i'm pretty sure the subs are on one of my 2 million different to buy lists...

lavazza
01-28-2010, 07:40 AM
I think he was being facetious.

I doubt that.

Deek_13
02-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Never sat down and listened to them but have seen them live twice. Once at wickerman festival and again not long after that at a gig where my girlfriends dads band were supporting. They were great both times. Warhead and i live in a car were stand out tracks for me!

DempseyPunk
02-04-2010, 02:30 AM
A different recording of warhead by the Urban Dogs(Charlies other band)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsYfwoVSORE

i prefer it. Its bit more professional than the choppiness of the UK Subs i love

TN_BOOTBOY
02-04-2010, 12:14 PM
There's a live album out if you can find it. I think its Live In Yugoslavia. Bu I could be wrong. that one is great.

Smash-it-Pete
02-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Great band. Warhead is one of my fave punk songs.

Against Him?
02-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Ooooola la la, la ooooo la lay
there's a party in my veins today.

Smash-it-Pete
02-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Party in Paris. ;)

Against Him?
02-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Party in Paris. ;)

yea but i'm drinking so the party is in my veins.
paris can **** itself.

Mav-16
02-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Police State

Party In Paris

Warhead

first three songs I ever heard by the subs and i still love de' sheet!

i guess they have a really good comp Lp, with a bunch of there early singles and stuff all thrown on one lp.

can't remember the name, will look it up.

DempseyPunk
02-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Police State

Party In Paris

Warhead

first three songs I ever heard by the subs and i still love de' sheet!

i guess they have a really good comp Lp, with a bunch of there early singles and stuff all thrown on one lp.

can't remember the name, will look it up.
Before You Were Punk :)