should i join this band?

PDA

View Full Version : should i join this band?

SaulnierE
01-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Hey, I have a chance to join a pop rock (paramore style) band as a backing guitarist, record, and play out. i'm only sixteen, so this experience would be great. however, this is pretty far from what i usually play (thin lizzy, gn'r), but i do play some fall out boy from time to time, so i'm not a total stranger to the genre. however, this would be a pretty large commitment, do you think the style change would be worth the experience? any opinions on this, or anything i'm not thinking of? thanks guys.

lockwolf
01-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Do it. You never know what'll happen. It could be the next big thing. Think of how pissed you'd be if it was the next big thing and you missed out

aCloudConnected
01-25-2010, 08:00 PM
It would be a good experience if they're serious about it.

saint22
01-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I'd say do it. Experience is invaluable. Even if its not your usual style, just having the experience of everything that goes with being in a band will be good. And in my experience, any sort of band is fun to be in (assuming the other people aren't dicks) even if its not quite your style.

ibanez87
01-25-2010, 08:47 PM
The experience will be great. Eben if you don't like or stay with them, you can use what you learn to hit your own band full on. DO IT!

Assnyne
01-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Take it. Never lose an opportunity to play a gig/band/ jam whatever, whats the worst that can happen?

6stringbassist
01-26-2010, 12:49 PM
My drummer and I play all sorts of alternative together, even though our band is metal. I play a ton of other genres and would be in a band that was serious about it, all for the experience.

theGlitch
01-26-2010, 01:51 PM
it's good to switch up the genres you play in too. it's a great learning tool and it's crazy fun to gig.

Mr.Cuddles
01-26-2010, 02:20 PM
do it.

I just got hired a few weeks ago to play indian bangrah music on someones cd.
I don't rerget it, i'm learning alot.( and im going to get payed ;) )

lespaul1216
01-26-2010, 02:24 PM
only if you really think you wouldn't have a problem playing that genre :shrug: sounds like you're not that into it

phoenix_crush
01-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Paramore isn't that complex, you should be able to do it

MetalFan09
01-26-2010, 03:42 PM
if they are playing gigs and getting to record then dont waste the opportunity!

ExurKun
01-26-2010, 04:01 PM
absolutely join it, if you want music to be a permanent career you gotta learn sometime to play all genres even outside of your comfort zone, plus pop punk won't be very hard to pick up

SaulnierE
01-26-2010, 06:55 PM
I already play fall out boy, brand new, and all time low some of the time. its just this is a little extreme, i think i'll probably do it anyways. but i was told it would be like paramore, avril/britney style stuff but in a rock context. i would be part of a backing band essentially.

asator
01-26-2010, 08:12 PM
I already play fall out boy, brand new, and all time low some of the time. its just this is a little extreme, i think i'll probably do it anyways. but i was told it would be like paramore, avril/britney style stuff but in a rock context. i would be part of a backing band essentially.
I think you'll find that lots of backing musicians for pop bands are generally into music of their own. Think about how many guitarists, bassists or drummers you see playing with Miley Cyrus or whoever that have shoulder length hair and sleeve tattoos...Most of them probably take that massive paycheck and fund their own bands on the side.

I say do it.

iwannabesedated
01-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Paramore style? You should stay as far away as possible lest you should pollute the already weakened music scene.

No but seriously give it a shot, it probably won't last anyway and it's good experience.

scguitarking927
01-26-2010, 08:32 PM
I think you'll find that lots of backing musicians for pop bands are generally into music of their own. Think about how many guitarists, bassists or drummers you see playing with Miley Cyrus or whoever that have shoulder length hair and sleeve tattoos...Most of them probably take that massive paycheck and fund their own bands on the side.

I say do it.

+1

the chance to play in front of larger audiences and making a good bit of money on the side, go for it!

Vermiis
01-31-2010, 04:58 AM
I'm confused. Paramore has really interesting guitar work. You guys need to listen to the vocals less. I would kill to be in that style of band.
Btw I'm a metalhead (deathspell omega, portal, ulver, none so vile era cryptopsy, and vomit remnants)

EDIT: The above post was influenced by intoxicating substances. The post will remain here for thread continuity.

Zach Dunn
01-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Take any oppertunity as it comes, i joined my current band in december after they asked me to, since then we've had many gigs and also in talks to playing this years Download Festival on a smaller stage which shocked us all aswell maybe a support slot for Enter Shikari.

As lockwolf says, you'll never know if you become the next biggest thing :)

KirbyzShadow
01-31-2010, 08:14 PM
if u can have fun playing in that band you should join in, you never know what will happen :]