House of the Rising Sun by The Animals
Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin
The Dead Can't Testify by Billy Talent
Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix
and a few of our own

Any comments?

beatreebor
01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
depending on your audience, maybe throw in a pop cover that you've rocked up a bit.
people like hearing songs they know.

Lobyte
01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
i just think immigrant song is a better opener but nothing else :)

Bellz06!
01-26-2010, 05:49 PM
I think you should mix the order up a little. So play a few by other people then a few of your own and just keep mixing it around. I reckon if people saw a band who just played covers they would get bored.. they like hearing things they know but the majority of people also like to discover new things. but that's my opinion.

beatreebor
01-26-2010, 05:52 PM
they like hearing things they know but the majority of people also like to discover new things. but that's my opinion.
i just meant that if its a talent show, your audience might not all be sabbath and zeppelin fans, i'm just saying mix it up and you could appeal to a much larger audience.

scguitarking927
01-26-2010, 08:15 PM
I would throw in a RHCP song, or maybe a blink 182 or sum 41 song, just something along those lines, something a little more modern :peace:

lespaul1216
01-26-2010, 08:36 PM
don't rock up a pop song. that's so overplayed it's annoying. just do like a blink or sum 41 song like scguitarking927 said. or some well-known pop-punk/pop-rock song.

goodlifebadlife
01-29-2010, 08:48 AM
This is my band's setlist for an upcoming talent show type thing:

Paranoid by Black Sabbath
House of the Rising Sun by The Animals
Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin
The Dead Can't Testify by Billy Talent
Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix
and a few of our own

Any comments?

Its a good safe list, but I think the Sabbath, Zep and Hendrix songs are overplayed. Maybe go for songs that arnt as well known. Theres nothing wrong with the songs youve picked by they are cover band standards, meaning people might have heard them being done before and will judge you against that.

Kaleldald
01-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Its a good safe list, but I think the Sabbath, Zep and Hendrix songs are overplayed. Maybe go for songs that arnt as well known. Theres nothing wrong with the songs youve picked by they are cover band standards, meaning people might have heard them being done before and will judge you against that.

Agreed. Go for something else for Zeppelin or Black Sabbath, as both of those are ludicrously overplayed. Personally, I would suggest either "Children of the Sea" or "Heaven and Hell" as good choices, because some people have heard them, but they aren't covered to death. And if you want Zeppelin, go for "Kashmir" or something of such a nature, but don't play a Zeppelin song that every single person on the earth has heard far too many times (*cough*Stairway to Heaven*cough*).

catrolean
01-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Kashmir would be a bad idea, as it is played in dadgad (or at least i play it that way). If it's a talent show, people really don't want to stare at some kid tuning his guitar all day.

axemanchris
01-31-2010, 12:04 PM
There's a sticky for that.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290962

CT