01-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Right now in my band there are...

Vocalist/third guitarist on occasion
Lead Guitarist
Co-Lead Guitarist(Me)
Rhythm Guitarist/Keyboardist
Bassist
Drummer

Overall I think we have to many people anyway. And the fact that the singer can play keyboards is a reason I think the Rhythm guitar kid/keyboard kid should be kicked out. However, the problem here is that he is an amazing musician, he plays every instrument under the sun and has a great understanding of music. Also, although he is extremelly arrogant, he is my friend and is a nice kid. Here is the other thing, all of the guys in the band are my friends. We have played two shows, and at both venues people told us we sounded congested, very muddy. Many people said it was because there was to much happening at once. ALthough we have a PA, and we have said we are committed to fixing the sound, I am wondering should I quit? Everybody who has seen us play said we are outstanding, I believe if the sound got a little less congested/muddy they could get somewhere. I also believe that although I love the band, and I don't think I am an awful guitarist, I don't feel I am needed. I will provide any other info. SO overall do you guys think I should quit?

P.S. If I do quit then I would probably join another band, but I would just find another band and that may take awhile.

Shinsen88
01-26-2010, 08:52 PM

Lead Guitarist
Co-Lead Guitarist(Me)
Bassist
Drummer

Overall I think we have to many people anyway. And the fact that the singer can play keyboards is a reason I think the Rhythm guitar kid/keyboard kid should be kicked out. However, the problem here is that he is an amazing musician, he plays every instrument under the sun and has a great understanding of music. Also, although he is extremelly arrogant, he is my friend and is a nice kid. Here is the other thing, all of the guys in the band are my friends. We have played two shows, and at both venues people told us we sounded congested, very muddy. Many people said it was because there was to much happening at once. ALthough we have a PA, and we have said we are committed to fixing the sound, I am wondering should I quit? Everybody who has seen us play said we are outstanding, I believe if the sound got a little less congested/muddy they could get somewhere. I also believe that although I love the band, and I don't think I am an awful guitarist, I don't feel I am needed. I will provide any other info. SO overall do you guys think I should quit?

P.S. If I do quit then I would probably join another band, but I would just find another band and that may take awhile.

Get two people to play guitar and one person to play keyboard.

KevinFreund
01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
I mean if you think it will benefit you in the long run, sure go ahead and quit.

FeiRei
01-26-2010, 08:55 PM
I think the problem you have may be eq-ing. Also, maybe just make the singer sing as opposed to playing guitar. That should un-comlicate things. Does the third guitar player play more guitar or keys?

viper_mike
01-26-2010, 08:56 PM
well, let's see, you've got four guitarists. ofcourse it's muddy, a PA won't help, you have to sound good without it to sound good with it. it could also be that you're not tight. if i were you i would make the vocalist stick to the vocals, and the rythm guitarist stay on keys, and you and the lead guitarist can share lead and rythm

james4
01-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Get two people to play guitar and one person to play keyboard.
this

if anyone else can sing, thats a big plus, too..
then the main vocalist can be lead vocals, and everyone/other people can do backup vocals, which will make it easier to play less

although, I dunno what kind of music you play to know if that'll suit :shrug:

scguitarking927
01-26-2010, 09:00 PM
I think the problem you have may be eq-ing. Also, maybe just make the singer sing as opposed to playing guitar.

This and the other part of what he said ^^^

I would spend a lot of time, and get some outside peoples opinion, trying to get your sound levels right so it doesn't sound congested.

I mean Iron Maiden has 3 guitar players, singer, bass, and drums, I think yall can manage ha :peace:

sbinlb
01-26-2010, 11:56 PM
you shou all stick to doing one thing...there are plenty of bands with 6 members

ep1kz
01-27-2010, 01:08 AM
2 lead guitarists?

it never hurts to have a lot of people in a band, i, for one, love larger bands.

how about make the rhythm guitarist stick to keys, you (or the other lead) play rhythm, and vocalist stick with vocals? of course you can change it around as you please, but stick with a standard line up like that. having a rhythm guitar/keyboard can get muddy, but it could definitely work well.

pandora_grunt
01-27-2010, 06:53 AM
OP, take the advice given. One vocalist, two guitars and a keyboard player. I'm th ekeyboard player in a coverband in that formation. Me and the lead guitar player share backing vocals. If you don't watch your levels you'll get a muddy sound but if you work on tone a lot you can make it work. Main reason I like my coverband is because there is never a dull piece of music if it means to RAWK.

Samzawadi
01-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Another problem there might be is that everyone's trying to play at once. With that many bandmembers, you're going to have to be careful not to overload the listener's ears. Iron Maiden have 3 guitars, bass, drums and vocals, but if you look at the parts they're playing, they're very rarely strumming full chords, more often they're using power chords or single note riffs.

What style of music is it? What is the keyboard player actually doing (are they adding lead lines over the top of the rhythm, or are they just playing the chords as well)? Sit down with the band, go through each song, and work out what instruments actually *need* to be doing something at any one time. If people start being pissy about not playing all through every song, then they're not really acting sensibly.

RadioMuse
01-29-2010, 01:09 PM
I like the Arcade Fire, so, no. ;)

I agree that there's a point where it becomes difficult to mix, but as long as no one's ego will be scarred because their solo was too quiet or the vocals were too low, the kick was too loud, etc... it can be fine... if you can find ways of managing your own mix fairly well and helping venues out with some basic discussion... most sound techs are really nice people who are just trying to create the best show possible in conjunction with you. Don't tell them how to do their jobs but explain some of the things you're aiming for and they're usually happy to help.

Best of luck!

Gurgle!Argh!
01-29-2010, 06:08 PM
there are nine people in one of my bands.

cheers.

SomeoneYouKnew
01-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Lead Guitarist
Co-Lead Guitarist(Me)
Bassist
Drummer

P.S. If I do quit then I would probably join another band, but I would just find another band and that may take awhile.You definitely look like the most unnecessary person in that band.

lespaul1216
01-30-2010, 09:10 PM
what in God's name is a "Co-Lead Guitarist"?

TheLastBard
01-30-2010, 10:55 PM
what in God's name is a "Co-Lead Guitarist"?

Haha, yeah... I think there are some really good suggestions up there, you can have
~vocals; lead guitar; rhythm guitar; keys; bass; drums~ which will eliminate the confusion. If the keyboard player wants to play guitar, maybe let him do a song or two, and have one of the other guitarists just do vocals or extra percussion or something.

Mr.Cuddles
01-31-2010, 12:34 AM
You definitely look like the most unnecessary person in that band.
+1

Kyle.E
01-31-2010, 12:55 AM
You definitely look like the most unnecessary person in that band.

Yup.

If I was the collective conciousness of all the other band mates, I'd kick you out.

maowcat
02-05-2010, 02:14 AM
well, let's see, you've got four guitarists. ofcourse it's muddy, a PA won't help, you have to sound good without it to sound good with it. it could also be that you're not tight. if i were you i would make the vocalist stick to the vocals, and the rythm guitarist stay on keys, and you and the lead guitarist can share lead and rythm

This, honestly two lead guitar players is a stupid idea,that's what harmonizers are for. Just do what iron maiden and judas priest do...switch.

King Turi
02-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Yo..

From my point of view..

I'd have you out of the band, and I'd have the vocalist on keys, and have the keys/rhythm guy just do rhythm.

Then they would have everything.. keys, rhythm, lead, drums and bass, without it sounding like crap.

I don't understand why you are in the band.. co-lead guitarist? ._.

I'd start finding some other guys to jam with, and hopefully you can be lead guitarist of that band instead of just extra noise for this band..

I think you would have much more fun if you were to be sole lead guitarist of a different band, it would also improve your current bands sound as I said..

Not trying to sound harsh, trying to help out with what I think is best for you and your current band.

Black Star
02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
With that many people, everyone needs to stick to one thing. Vocals, 2 guitars, keyboards, bass, and drums. Keyboards should mainly be a rhythm instrument, doing chords most of the time.

Either that, or you and/or the lead guitarist should probably quit.

kyle62
02-05-2010, 02:39 PM
You'd need to be damn good musicians with great taste, timing and experience to pull that off without sounding like a muddy mess....and I'm willing to bet you guys are nowhere near that standard yet.

gald
02-05-2010, 04:54 PM
The Dearhunter plays with 6 people:
Drummer
Bassist
Singer/Guitarist/Keys
Keys/Guitarist
Guiatarist
Percussion/Keys/Moog-looking sounde effects thing

They all, aside from the drummer and bass player, play various instruments depending on what's needed on a song. They almost all sing (well) too.

They are, however, professional musicians and all VERY talented playing in venues with very good sound engineers.

In short, while it's certainly possible to have a large band with a lot going on, it's difficult unless you're very, very good both at knowing how to EQ and set all of your levels and at playing the music.

JDizzle787
02-05-2010, 05:43 PM
I've seen a 7 member punk outfit, and it ALL worked out... They're called Fort! the Band.

They had 2 vocalists, 3 guitars, 1 bass, 1 drummer, 1 keyboardist. And it worked live, because I could hear everybody and the only problem with that many people working in a band is that the sound was overwhelming. It was EQ'd well, but as a band it was just a lot to take in.

That said, don't quit the band. As for the harmonizer comment, why would you require someone in your band to shell out 200$+ for a pedal? Also, what type of band is it? A metal band can do harmonizing and dual leads, all the way down to say, a general rock band. As long as you are all doing something different, it doesn't matter how "useless" one member is, you just need to get it to sound good.