Drum Machine vs. Drummer

PDA

View Full Version : Drum Machine vs. Drummer

genghisgandhi
01-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Ok. I'm in a two man "band" right now. We are looking for a drummer, but it looks really bleak. We play mostly, what could be described as Beck crossed with Coldplay, so we don't need powerful drums, but we would still rather have them.

So what are the main pros and cons of drum machines?

Also, I'm open to band name suggestions, don't make it something cliche.

Martindecorum
01-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Pro drum machine - stay in time and errorless
Cons - No feeling, no diversity plus would sound really boring a full set worth

I'm very sure with giving time you would be able to find a drummer just not looking hard enough

HomeRecording
01-26-2010, 09:51 PM
if you're looking at this for recording, just outsource it to someone online, but a real drummer can do a lot in the writing process to help shape a song.

genghisgandhi
01-26-2010, 09:53 PM
if you're looking at this for recording, just outsource it to someone online
We were thinking about doing this.

BlackApparatus
01-26-2010, 09:59 PM
I feel offended!

Haha jk, but a drummer would give a completely different feeling onstage and in practices. Hell, it would even give some feeling at all! I mean, a drum machine can play at insane, humanly impossible tempos and be perfectly on time and never make a single damn mistake, but it also gives you guys another different image as a band. Sure, maybe he has mistakes every now and then, but it's all part of playing in a band. And as someone said before, maybe you aren't looking hard enough. We aren't that hard to find :P

genghisgandhi
01-26-2010, 10:12 PM
I feel offended!

Haha jk, but a drummer would give a completely different feeling onstage and in practices. Hell, it would even give some feeling at all! I mean, a drum machine can play at insane, humanly impossible tempos and be perfectly on time and never make a single damn mistake, but it also gives you guys another different image as a band. Sure, maybe he has mistakes every now and then, but it's all part of playing in a band. And as someone said before, maybe you aren't looking hard enough. We aren't that hard to find :P
Of course I would rather have a real drummer, but we have looked very hard, and not found anyone who's not already in a band.

betrayedloyalty
01-26-2010, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't play live without a drummer...but I don't think it'd be that bad if you used a drum machine or program for recording as long as no one knows. Btw I thought of a decent band name: Poetic Justice. Idk my mom said it and it sounded cool lol

BlackApparatus
01-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Btw I thought of a decent band name: Poetic Justice. Idk my mom said it and it sounded cool lol

Sounds like a name for a song the 80's James Hetfield would write while having a gay orgy lol

Freunleven
01-27-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm not about to deny the awesomeness of playing live with a drummer. However, using a drum machine or pre-recorded drum tracks does have a few advantages.

1) One fewer guy to split income with.
2) One fewer guy to share groupies with.
3) You don't have to set up a drum kit before the show.
4) You don't have to tear down a drum kit after a show.

There are, at the same time, some serious disadvantages.

1) One fewer guy to split the bills with.
2) One fewer guy to take his turn with the fugly groupies.
3) No live improvisation - you have to stick to the track as it is.
4) If you don't do it right, it can come off as exceptionally lame.

All things being considered, it comes down to execution. If you can pull it off, go for it. If there are only two of you, you're all set. It only takes one hand to hit "play" on the CD player, MP3 player or drum machine. Maybe find a keyboard player to help fill out the sound and run the drum machine or whatever you'll use.

It all comes down to what you want to do with your music, man.

:satan:

MelodicSlap
01-27-2010, 03:18 AM
i was gunna say are u serisous... but everyone is treating this serisouly

so

ARE U SERIOUS???

Phil Starr
01-27-2010, 03:36 AM
Go ahead and use a drum machine at practice, it will make you better musicians because you're going to have to keep perfect time and when you get round to recording you will be used to playing with the discipline you need for a click track.

It will also make you appreciate your drummer more when you find him/her which you will eventually.

Gurgle!Argh!
01-27-2010, 10:46 AM
if you're going to use a drum machine, use it as a drum machine, not as a replacement drummer. because the latter option will suck.

CoreysMonster
01-27-2010, 11:07 AM
if you just want a drummer for recording, drum machines are the way to go.

ignore people who say drum machines have no feeling; for recording purposes, you can very well program feeling into a drum machine.

But for live, I would much rather go for a real drummer. There's just something about having a physical kit mic'd up on stage that's just orgasmic, and it looks and feels sooo much cooler.

Lonely
01-27-2010, 12:05 PM
recording: decent drum computer is teh shiznit, you can't go for a bigger win if you're on a tight budget (because self-recording really fat drums is nearly impossible if your dad isn't a studied soundengineer and studio owner)

live: real drummer, hands down, even hip hop artists often play with real drummers instead of backing tracks, theres a reason for that.

edit: the guy above me just told you the same thing, i just didn't read his post, sorry!

greets

kaptink
01-27-2010, 01:21 PM
There are sound benefits to having a good drum machine too, you can make crazy beats and stuff and the sky's the limit (or the age of the unit is the limit) to the amount of different drums you can use. You can also have different percussion instruments going at the same time as a drumbeat.

On the downside you have to program them.

Lonely
01-28-2010, 09:12 AM
whats the biggest advantage of a drum machine to a real drummer?

in a drummachine you have to punch in the information only once :P

Northernmight
01-28-2010, 11:11 AM
If you get a decent drum-machine, it's all fine. Of course real drums are still unbeaten, but with a little brains, you can make it almost just as good on a machine. Just don't make weird rythms on there that an actual drummer wouldn't be able to play. Then it just comes across as stupid.

SuperMaximo93
01-28-2010, 01:10 PM
If you can't find a drummer and want to try a drum machine, maybe make it a part of your band's sound? That's what my band is doing. Make use of the different unusual sounds and maybe have some beats that are actually impossible/very hard to pull off for real (as long as it sounds good). If you try to make the drum machine sound like a real drummer and incredibly realistic then its basically saying, "Hey, we can't find a drummer, and taking the easy way out!". Then again if you do actually want a real drummer then you might want to make the machine sound as realistic as possible in the hopes of finding someone.