what are people using for band websites?

PDA

View Full Version : what are people using for band websites?

Gurgle!Argh!
01-27-2010, 10:44 AM
so, my band is changing its name (for various reasons including sharing it with another band who we're starting to play similar places as, they had it first and we aren't that attached to it) and we're wanting to revamp our online presence. we have a domain name, and we have a myspace obviously, but i'm really down on myspace these days because i just think it isn't much use anymore and is probably counterproductive in a lot of ways. we're gonna use bandcamp.com for hosting our music, but we want a more general band page too. we're looking at using a blog style website, but ideally we want one where we can combine traditional blog style functionality with static pages. right now, wordpress seems to be the most obvious option, but i was wondering what else everyone likes?

crohno
01-27-2010, 10:54 AM
you can write it yourself, it's not that hard, and there are lots of scripts out there that can really help you, however if you don't want to to this i'd recommed wordpress(but at least make your own layout)

thunderhans
01-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Its really easy to create something with "joomla", just download it and install it on the webspace, and customize your design and content, if you want something more advanced have a look at "drupal"

Gurgle!Argh!
01-27-2010, 11:48 AM
actually, we're ideally looking to avoid hosting costs. i have worked with drupal in the past, but really we're looking for such limited functionality here that we're more interested in going the wordpress.com/tumblr/blogspot sort of route but with our domain pointing to them, at least for now.

Black Star
01-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Honestly, I'd say use your own hosting, even if you decide to use Wordpress or whatever for the basis of your website. You have more control that way.

Right now, my band's site is set up using Wordpress. I'd definitely recommend it.

Phil Starr
01-27-2010, 01:15 PM
It looks like you are in the UK so have a look at lemonrock

14shadesofblue
01-27-2010, 07:14 PM
purevolume.com is a good place