Alternative to full drum kit

PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to full drum kit

no. 380059
01-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I am in a situation where it's possible to get a band going but there is no way for us to be able to transport kit, only what we can carry by hand. This is fine for guitarists acoustic guitars can run into the PA, as can electrics if I use digital processors and the like, not ideal but needs must.

The likely setups are an electric guitar and an acoustic or an electric and a bass playing songs with standard rhythms.

My question is what sort of percussion is going to best compliment this that is portable? Do any of you guys have any experience with this situation or have any ideas? My first thought is more drums used in ethnic music but their quirky rhythms puts me off a bit.

Thanks for any help.

Heylo12
01-28-2010, 08:53 PM
would an electric kit work? theyre extremely compact. I read that a guy once played one in the backseat of his car. Mine takes up a very small corner of my music room.

matt6666
01-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Cajon?

food1010
01-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Cajon?+1.

There's also the obvious answer: Simply don't use a full drumset. Depending on the music you play, you could get away with a hi-hat, snare, and kick (and possibly a tom).

Declan87
01-28-2010, 10:28 PM
When I left the country, members of my band and another local band threw a surprise acoustic gig-party for me, and they just used a hi-hat and snare for drums and it sounded pretty rad, though a kick drum or a low tom might've helped. A good drummer should be able to use the most basic equipment with good results.

gald
01-28-2010, 11:41 PM
A djembe and a set of bongos (on a stand.)

mdwallin
01-29-2010, 05:53 AM
I'm hoping to get a high-hat and a stomp box this year.
While not a lot, you can get a lot of different sounds from a high-hat, a few different sounds from a stomp box.

you could beat box too I guess.

In the past I've been in bands where we have just got enormous plastic buckets or gone to the op-shop and bought a couple of metal trays to bang on. They make some very interesting sounds and are cheap as, so you can break it or whatever and just get another one. Or if it don't work out: chuck 'em.

dullsilver_mike
01-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Cajon?

Both Valid suggestions. You can also get someone that's really good on a snare ala violent femmes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra8VTlXVqUQ one snare and one cymbal seem to do the trick just fine.

Mr.Cuddles
01-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Ride cymbal, Snare, Bass Drum.
thats all you really need imo.
you'll just have to get extra creative on those fills.

RadioMuse
01-29-2010, 12:55 PM
There are travel kits out there... I've seen quite a few that have a floor tom with a kick on the bottom head and just a snare seperate (as far as drums) and I believe they strapped together and could be carried as a backpack, leaving your hands open for a cymbal bag, stand and/or hi hats. Snare with brushes and just a cymbal or something can do wonders though.

no. 380059
01-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Lots of good ideas, I'm particularly interested in the cajon.

Do you have any good examples of any of these? Quite hard to find many things without hours of trawling through youtube.

I should just mention that we are students without too much money, asking somebody to buy expensive gear isn't really an option. Carrying a bass drum is probably a bit much too.

Mephysteaux
01-29-2010, 04:35 PM
There was one thing I saw, I can't find it for the life of me now though, it's basically an electronic pedal that makes a bass drum sound when you step on it. I think that ran like $100 if that's in your price range, but I think a cheapo electronic drum kit might be a better option. I've seen one in Target for $50, and I think the one I have goes for $30 or so now.

food1010
01-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Lots of good ideas, I'm particularly interested in the cajon.

Do you have any good examples of any of these? Quite hard to find many things without hours of trawling through youtube.http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/world-percussion/hand-drums/cajons

Have at it.

Also, this looked like an excellent video explaining the technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0NVB-Yt3gE

There was one thing I saw, I can't find it for the life of me now though, it's basically an electronic pedal that makes a bass drum sound when you step on it. I think that ran like $100 if that's in your price range, but I think a cheapo electronic drum kit might be a better option. I've seen one in Target for $50, and I think the one I have goes for $30 or so now.Are you talking about stomp boxes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stomp_box

Mephysteaux
01-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Yea, that was it.

SomeoneYouKnew
01-30-2010, 09:57 AM
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Traps-Drums-Traps-A400-N-C-Acoustic-Drum-Set-491112-i1385705.gc

ChrisMill5
02-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Go stray cats on those bitches:

http://www.heartbeatpercussion.com/drums/images/JUNESlimCocktailKit.jpg

(Being left-handed is optional)

Gurgle!Argh!
02-18-2010, 06:57 AM
if you have a slimmed down kit in small sizes you might have success. i mean, something like hi-hat, bass drum, snare, floor tom and ride gives you plenty of options, and if you go for a smaller sized bass drum (ie, 18" or smaller, and potentially something shallow) then it is pretty transportable. you could even lose the floor tom and one of the cymbals and still have something functional. often sounds more interesting too, because it forces you to think within the limitations.

kyle62
02-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Agreed, have you ever tried carrying a set of congas around? Me and our drummer barely managed the 200m or so between two local pubs the other day, they're bulky awkward things.
Little bongos don't sound as good but at least they're portable.

Highwaytohell
02-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Cajon or Bongos seems to be the way to go

n to the k
02-19-2010, 06:37 PM
i'm not quite sure what your asking, are you looking to buy kit to transport or finding a way of transporting kit you already have?

i know you can buy drums that you can take the reso head off and fit smaller drums in them (e.g take bass drum head off and put floor tom in, then take floor tom head off then put low rack tom in etc.) they are very heavy to carry but are is a lot easier to transport if u have the time of tuning the heads back up.

sfaune92
02-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Another idea is to ask friends/parents/fellow students to help you carry some drums...