Please Help Me!!!!!

PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me!!!!!

Harrisfun
01-28-2010, 11:06 PM
so, here's the thing. I'm in a band called Last Effort. we play mostly post hardcore and alt rock and stuff. I scream and play guitar.
recently ive decided that id like to get a little heavier with our music and i proposed the idea to our current lead singer and he liked the idea. but when i told him i wanted to take over lead vocals he kinda freaked. he said we were doing alright now and why mess with the good?
but i REALLY wanna do lead vocals. and im a really good screamer, but he wants to keep me on guitar.

what do i do?

AlanHB
01-28-2010, 11:35 PM
You have two lead singers and take turns. Add new songs to the set for you to sing, and let him keep the ones you already have. That said, if he doesn't play a musical instrument he'll be doing nothing during the songs and that would piss me off too.

gald
01-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Well first, put yourself in his shoes. It's his job to sing, and you're trying to take that job away from him. It's normal to feel defensive when something like that is going down. That said, just approach him and just say "hey man, I'd really like to start singing a bit more" as opposed to "hey man, I want to be the singer now."

It will be much easier for him to accept that way and there's no reason why two people can't share vocals. If he can't handle that and continues to freak out get the other band members' opinions and if they side with him then you'll just have to accept it.

Also, is there any reason why you can't keep playing guitar and sing at the same time? And does he play an instrument? If he doesn't it's much easier to understand why he'd be defensive about you taking on a bigger role.

gorkyporky
01-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Well if he is the lead singer and doesnt play any instruments, then you are basicly kicking him out of the band if you take lead singer duites, arent you? If he plays an instrument, you can say "hey, lemme sing this one" when you write a new song, or whatever. But you cant just take over his duites and expect him to be completely cool with it.

Harrisfun
02-02-2010, 09:22 PM
he plays guitar about as well as me

and, well, when we originally started the band, it was gonna be alot heavier and i was gonna do alot of screaming. never happened

the humanity
02-02-2010, 09:39 PM
have him sing harmonies in parts of songs, or use your screaming to add to his parts.

ex.

I am a cow(COOOWWW!)
I say moo(MOOO!!!!)
I know how (HE REALLY KNOWS HOW TO)
to make cow poo (POOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAGGHHH!!!!)

or

BABIES ARE CUTE (I love babies)
THEY SMILE AT ME (smiling babies)
BUT DO NOT LET THEM (I can't face)
NAKEDLY PEE (pee in my face)

MPica
02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
have him sing harmonies in parts of songs, or use your screaming to add to his parts.

ex.

I am a cow(COOOWWW!)
I say moo(MOOO!!!!)
I know how (HE REALLY KNOWS HOW TO)
to make cow poo (POOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAGGHHH!!!!)

or

BABIES ARE CUTE (I love babies)
THEY SMILE AT ME (smiling babies)
BUT DO NOT LET THEM (I can't face)
NAKEDLY PEE (pee in my face)

Best examples ever.
/thread

its_alive
02-03-2010, 10:16 PM
You might just have to deal with it.
Check with your bandmates on the idea, and see if they like it. Personally, I wouldn't want to switch things up like that if I were in your band. Also, I can see why you're lead singer would be hesitant to let you be lead singer instead.
If there's some other thing you want to do, I suggest you try and get some other people together. For example, I am the lead guitarist in my band, yet I also drum. I would love to drum in a band, but I also am fine with playing guitar. Therefore, I am considering starting up another band on the side.
If you want to be a lead singer, maybe consider doing that?
Good luck.

SomeoneYouKnew
02-04-2010, 02:14 PM
so, here's the thing. I'm in a band called Last Effort. we play mostly post hardcore and alt rock and stuff. I scream and play guitar.
recently ive decided that id like to get a little heavier with our music and i proposed the idea to our current lead singer and he liked the idea. but when i told him i wanted to take over lead vocals he kinda freaked. he said we were doing alright now and why mess with the good?
but i REALLY wanna do lead vocals. and im a really good screamer, but he wants to keep me on guitar.

what do i do?Scream at him until he lets you have your way.

Harrisfun
02-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Scream at him until he lets you have your way.

that's usually what i do with women...

chokmool
02-08-2010, 06:42 PM
that's usually what i do with women...

Screaming at women should be a last resort. Complimenting, placating, and a big wad of cash can break the toughest female.

As for the band. Just be honest about it. If they rule it out, either accept it and continue, or move along. I'm not just being trite. If you all can't agree, sooner or later things will go wrong.

SilentHeaven109
02-08-2010, 06:58 PM

what do i do?

I can understand why. I understand what you we're aiming for, but you phrased it horribly.

What sounded like, "Hey dude, how bout I sing a bit more?" to you, probably sounded like, "Dude, GTFO, I'm singing now," to him.

He's the lead singer, therefore he sings lead most of the time. It'd be OK for you to sing lead on one or two songs, as Marco does in Nightwish, but if you want to keep him as lead, he'll have to sing lead on most songs.

If you want to sing permanent lead, either get rid of him or get him to step down and play an instrument, that's pretty much it.

Harrisfun
02-09-2010, 06:28 PM
thanks guys. i'll see what i can do

King Turi
02-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Screamo is so last decade man.

I'd steer clear of it now.

It's stale.

Mithaearon
02-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Screamo is so last decade man.

I'd steer clear of it now.

It's stale.

It was stale last decade. Of course its probably because being an old grunger I like melodies in my vocals rather than just be screamed at :P