Should i let her join?

PDA

View Full Version : Should i let her join?

danlally
01-31-2010, 07:38 AM
Well short story short

My band has been without a singer for a long time now, making us pause and wait for something to happen. I've recently found a female singer who is willing to do vocals for us (SHE'S GOT AN AMAZING VOICE). :eek:

The problem i have is that the demo's she sent me were more popier than i expected, having said that she it say she liked the music the band liked (more rocky). The problem is will the rest of band start to hate her as is sometimes the case when new members join and they also wanted a male singer as well, i did not mind.

Has anyone had/have/is a female singer, do they add a more pop effect to the music?

Dan

ChucklesMginty
01-31-2010, 07:44 AM
Before I get flamed for sexism, yes it will make you a bit poppier. Female voices are (most of the time) well, more feminine. But there's no reason that should stop you, it'll make you more original. And separate you from the thousands of 4 and 5 piece all male bands.

The problem is will the rest of band start to hate her as is sometimes the case when new members join and they also wanted a male singer as well, i did not mind.

If she's a relaxed, easy to work with person. It should be fine.

If your friends complain, remind them that it could = her inviting her friends to concerts.

Astaldo
01-31-2010, 07:48 AM
try it out, make a few songs and see

evening_crow
01-31-2010, 07:53 AM
I remember one time playing acoustic with a girl who was into completely different music than me. She had more of a soul/pop voice while my main approach at music is progressive with heavy emphasis on melody.

It sounded wonderful. Never had i thought that my music sounded very good up until that day. It was a perfect combination. Of course, not to mention that she had a great personality, very good looking, and had an astonishing voice.

Anyway... give it a shot man. You'd be surprised at what might end up happening if you're willing to try new things. However, this is something that you should be discussing with your other bandmates and see what THEY think and feel. Is the fact that she's a girl the main problem? If so try to convince them to experiment with it for a bit and see where it goes and make a decision after that. Of course, you might also want to talk to the girl to let her know what's going on.

SOADriff
01-31-2010, 07:54 AM
It definitely does. My singer is also a girl and she doesnt have a large range so it limits what we can do, especially because she has a higher range, which leads to poppier stuff.

10crumsey
01-31-2010, 07:55 AM
we have a female singer i my band. yes we do do a bit more popier stuff but weve mannage to move our genre more towards that of paramore and bands like that etc.

danlally
01-31-2010, 08:41 AM
However, this is something that you should be discussing with your other bandmates and see what THEY think and feel. Is the fact that she's a girl the main problem? If so try to convince them to experiment with it for a bit and see where it goes and make a decision after that. Of course, you might also want to talk to the girl to let her know what's going on.

I've discussed it with my band-mates, like i said they don't seem keen on it as they feel that if we got a girl as our frontwoman/singer 'we would just look and sound like another paramore wanna-be band'. I said 'don't be stupid, all we can do is try'

And yep I've spoken to her (she's yet to meet the other guys see), I've said 'I'm going to speak to the guys about you, after that I'll see if we can meet up in one of our rehearsals.'

That should be next then.

Thanks for the comments :D

Black Star
01-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Let them listen to Nightwish. Just because a band has a female singer doesn't mean the band is suddenly softer.

evening_crow
01-31-2010, 11:24 AM
I've discussed it with my band-mates, like i said they don't seem keen on it as they feel that if we got a girl as our frontwoman/singer 'we would just look and sound like another paramore wanna-be band'. I said 'don't be stupid, all we can do is try'

And yep I've spoken to her (she's yet to meet the other guys see), I've said 'I'm going to speak to the guys about you, after that I'll see if we can meet up in one of our rehearsals.'

That should be next then.

Thanks for the comments :D
That sounds good.

It's kinda dumb for them to be set on a certain judgment prior to even meeting the girl. However, they do have a slightly valid point if taking the average female-as-a-frontman-band-sound into account. Like i said though, you never know what you'll end up with until you try it. Who would've thought that mixing Tool/Chevelle-like songs would've mixed with a soul/pop female singer? Worked with me... and it sounded great.

;)

Phil Starr
01-31-2010, 11:49 AM
It looks like you have a great attitude, just try it. No two human beings have the exact same taste in music and you will waste a lot of years if you just wait around to get the perfect mix of people. You have already grasped this but your band members haven't caught on.

Most of the creativity in the band comes from the tensions between people with different tastes and interests and though it is true that the singer has more than their share in shaping the sound of a band surely you will just be better with a good singer irrespective of gender rather than holding out to be just another band with an ordinary vocalist.

Set up auditions, get the other band members to find other candidates and see what works best.

Yes, I do play with a female vocalist.

its_alive
01-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Chick singers are fine.
We've got one, and we also have a fairly wide range of music.
She's a talented singer and she can pull off pretty much any genre, so if that's the case with yours, I'd jump on the opportunity.
Good luck.

koslack
02-01-2010, 02:36 AM
You know, there is generally a step between a person not being in a band, and then them being in a band. It's usually called 'an audition.' So I recommend you have one of those.

AlanHB
02-01-2010, 04:12 AM
You know, there is generally a step between a person not being in a band, and then them being in a band. It's usually called 'an audition.' So I recommend you have one of those.

Nononono. It's called "a make judgement in head then seek validation from UG forum". Auditions are for the weak.

Also I can't see what problem your bandmates should have. Firstly you haven't had a singer for a long time, so this is your chance to actually do anything. Secondly the "Paramore-wannbe" comment is just idiotic. Would you be ripping off another band if you had an all male group then? :P

SomeoneYouKnew
02-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Don't do it. This has happened before with rock bands and failed hard.

Learn your history.
Big Brother and the Holding Company added Janis Joplin. Result: Pop.
Jefferson Airplane added Grace Slick. Result: Pop.
The Blackhearts added Joan Jett. Result: Pop.
Heart added Ann and Nancy Wilson. Result: Pop.
Lacuna Coil added Cristina Scabbia. Result: Pop.
Evanescence added Amy Lee. Result: Pop.

Chix can't rock!

/sarcasm

Gulli05
02-01-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd say try to arrange the songs and let her come to a practice or two. Then you guys speak about whether you like this or not.

It's just foolish to not give her a chance.

Lots of great bands have female lead vocalists. Check out Nightwish and Epica for example. Kamelot and Evergrey use Female Backing vocalist(s), these bands are amazing. I mean, it's just foolish to not let her come to a practice or two. ;)

gald
02-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Don't do it. This has happened before with rock bands and failed hard.

Learn your history.
Big Brother and the Holding Company added Janis Joplin. Result: Pop.
Jefferson Airplane added Grace Slick. Result: Pop.
The Blackhearts added Joan Jett. Result: Pop.
Heart added Ann and Nancy Wilson. Result: Pop.
Lacuna Coil added Cristina Scabbia. Result: Pop.
Evanescence added Amy Lee. Result: Pop.

Chix can't rock!

/sarcasm
I had only scrolled down far enough to see the "can't rock" line and started foaming at the mouth before I scrolled the rest of the way down and saw the sarcasm tag.

You got me good sir.

danlally
02-01-2010, 07:49 PM

Well we decided (the rest of the band as well :D ) to meet her down the pub next week, just for a chat really. Just so she knows what we are like and what she's like. Then we are going to decide if she wants to come to one of our rehearsals, give her a few covers first just to get warmed up, then move on to one of our own.

The thing is that bothers me a lot is that if i stuck in the middle were my band-mates (who i love dearly) would not get along with her and as i said i would be stuck in the middle during that first meeting. I'm usually the peacemaker anyways in this band and really i just want to do whats best, **** the bullshit and get gigging within 2 months.

I'll update with what happens in the future.

Thanks for comments so far guys

UG IS GOD!

Dan

Kurapica
02-01-2010, 08:57 PM
I'd say to consider it. I've just started a new band up and we've added a female bassist/backing singer and it adds a massive range to our songs. I can do the more shouty, potent stuff and she can do the more sultry breakdowns. It's working great for us.

It also means I get to finally play a cover of Blondie - Maria and not have to destroy my voice trying to sing it :D

SomeoneYouKnew
02-01-2010, 09:49 PM
(SHE'S GOT AN AMAZING VOICE). :eek: The problem is will the rest of band start to hate her as is sometimes the case when new members join and they also wanted a male singer as well, i did not mind. 1 - Do NOT allow this girl to join the band.
2 - Find another band that has open-minded musicians, and needs a guitarist and a singer.
3 - You and the singer join the new band.
4 - ?????????
5 - PROFIT!!!

danlally
02-01-2010, 10:02 PM
1 - Do NOT allow this girl to join the band.
2 - Find another band that has open-minded musicians, and needs a guitarist and a singer.
3 - You and the singer join the new band.
4 - ?????????
5 - PROFIT!!!

right now that's REALLY not what i had in mind, I'll wait and see.

Boydy24
02-03-2010, 05:10 AM
Nothing wrong with a rock band having a female singer, just make sure no one in the band asks her out. My band was going very nicely until the singer and bassist broke up, things got awkward and she left.

j_link13
02-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Id definatley give her a chance but id think about it.alot. Ive never had a girl singer before but i think itd come with its share of problems. Maybe she starts some drama between band members...Maybe she thinks one of you are cute

Id think about it

SomeoneYouKnew
02-04-2010, 03:48 AM
Id definatley give her a chance but id think about it.alot. Ive never had a girl singer before but i think itd come with its share of problems. Maybe she starts some drama between band members...Maybe she thinks one of you are cute

Id think about itSee, that's the difference between girls and little boys. Girls don't have a penis, so they aren't tryna poke it into everything that walks, crawls or flies.

If there is any drama here, it will likely be a result of the guys in the band tripping over their own dicks tryna get with the girl. Of course they'll all blame it on the girl...

innertom
02-04-2010, 03:52 AM
how about you tell her she can be in the band if she does you one favour.
then ask for a gangbang :):):)

SomeoneYouKnew
02-04-2010, 04:19 AM
how about you tell her she can be in the band if she does you one favour.
then ask for a gangbang :):):)See, that's the difference between girls and little boys...Read the rest in my previous post. :peace:

lockwolf
02-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Nothing ruins a band like wanting to bang the singer. Just keep your wood under control and you'll be fine

Housequake
02-04-2010, 06:05 AM
I think you should give it a go. A cool idea you could try is have all the guys in the band do backup vocals, chanting, shouting etc. to give it that testosterone punch

Roxor_Mc0wnage
02-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Quick someone tell Lacy Mosley from Flyleaf and Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy that they're "too pop"!

kumamilesbear
02-04-2010, 10:47 AM
My old band had a girl on vocals. She was pretty ****ing good too. She didn't really had a poppier element though, more a jazz sort of feel, because she's one of those people who has this sort of voice that just does anything (except screaming).

She was able to keep up with the music, even though a lot of the guitar parts I wrote were heavy (to contrast with the acousticiness of our rhythm guitarist), and even though she wasn't doing heavy-style vocals, she was able to make the song sound better than it originally did without her.

I say go for it. If it doesn't work out, at least you can say you gave it a shot without just saying 'no' outright.

Mithaearon
02-04-2010, 11:00 AM
I am in a female fronted band and would say our singer can out rock any dude. We are a sludgefest Grunge band. Want to know how a female fronted band can sound without having any pop influences? Check out

The Distillers
Hole
Hammerbox
The Gits
Babes in Toyland
Bikini Kill

and any other riot grrrl band for that matter.

skatinpunk
02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
dude, check out the star ****ing hipsters. nico is an awesome singer

SomeoneYouKnew
02-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Holeaw, man. you totally had me until you played the Courtney Card. :(

Mithaearon
02-04-2010, 02:55 PM
aw, man. you totally had me until you played the Courtney Card. :(

Hehe sorry dude :D I have a little thing for the Courtney ;) you got to admit though the other bands are great :D

Punk_Ninja
02-04-2010, 06:18 PM
I'd actually prefer a female singer...

Aside from the automatic popularity boost a band gets from having a female in it, I personally prefer female singers for a lot of things (I've noticed loads of guys who think they can sing...can't sing.).

Anyway to combat your problem, definately make your band members come round to the idea. Not sure about where you are, but round here band members are few and far apart, you don't want to be waiting ages on another singer to come around.
If worst comes to worst and they can't deal with a frontwoman, get one of the males to learn to sing and do backing/second vocals just to give it an edge.

Guitarbaddie
02-04-2010, 06:54 PM
See, that's the difference between girls and little boys. Girls don't have a penis, so they aren't tryna poke it into everything that walks, crawls or flies.

If there is any drama here, it will likely be a result of the guys in the band tripping over their own dicks tryna get with the girl. Of course they'll all blame it on the girl...

This is actually the opposite to what my band is having trouble with.

evening_crow
02-04-2010, 07:17 PM
This is actually the opposite to what my band is having trouble with.
May i join your band?

:p:

Guitarbaddie
02-04-2010, 07:22 PM
May i join your band?

:p:

:p: Sure thang! I have to stay away from her though. I have a GF

:(

evening_crow
02-05-2010, 03:10 AM
:p: Sure thang! I have to stay away from her though. I have a GF

:(
Actually, i do too... guess i can't join.

:haha:

Roxor_Mc0wnage
02-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Actually, i do too... guess i can't join.

:haha:

Yeah well I dont. Is she hot?

concho_valen
02-05-2010, 08:12 PM
and the girls may say thank you?
just practice and show her another kind of music
im a girl too and yes i was a pop girl like jonas brothers, etc
but then i meet a friend and he show me diferrent kind of music
now i like a7x and bands like thats, so try it :)
u dont lose ANYTHING
p.s: the girls can rock too were not pop star eh?

danlally
02-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Okay so me and the rest of the band are meeting her this Saturday night, to be honest i'm nervous as hell when i really should not be. Anyways should be fun, going for a few drinks and a chat before deciding what to do next, lets just wait and see then!

z4twenny
02-08-2010, 08:45 PM
^ im glad i read the first post and the last post, it made this easier :D

just meet with her, let her try out and see if it sounds good. if it sounds good then do it, if it doesn't then don't. different influences like that can add a different sound to a song and take it somewhere new. don't throw out the idea before you tried it

UnbrokenGlass
02-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Women can rock the hell out. Go check out Chelsea on Fire if you have any doubts.

danlally
02-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Women can rock the hell out. Go check out Chelsea on Fire if you have any doubts.

Look i know women can rock out no matter what, the problem i have in the first place is convincing my bandmates the same thing.

b_nosy
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Just Because your band would have a female singer dosn't mean your pop!!!! Look at arch enemy and in this moment both metal with female singers

Guitarguy2010
02-09-2010, 06:17 PM
I'd at least give her a shot, no harm done... No long-term harm anyway. :D

Guitarbaddie
02-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Yeah well I dont. Is she hot?

Yeah, but she is taken now, plus we are already thinking of getting rid of her.

NHECOS
02-10-2010, 05:44 AM
No girl belongs in guys bands.

If you want a pop thing... go for it, although I wouldn's do it... I go to my bands reharsal to get away from my woman, not to go to the studio and have another one there, wich will make me feel selfconscious if I talk about female genitalia and cum shots with my mates.

willwelsh816
02-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Bonnie Raitt, Susan Tedeschi, Bessie Simith...they all play blues, which is the least feminine style i can think of.

SomeoneYouKnew
02-13-2010, 08:09 PM
No girl belongs in guys bands.

If you want a pop thing... go for it, although I wouldn's do it... I go to my bands reharsal to get away from my woman, not to go to the studio and have another one there, wich will make me feel selfconscious if I talk about female genitalia and cum shots with my mates.Step a little closer, Junior.

Closer...

Closer still...

http://justgiving.typepad.com/justgivings_blog/images/fish.jpg

danlally
02-13-2010, 08:29 PM
okay so we finally met today......when i say we i mean just me, drummer had last min work and the bassist decided to get drugged up tonight rather then meeting her.......anyways i just went to meet her, and to be honest...she's really better then what i was expecting. She not quiet, she like a drink or two but sounds like she's really up for it.

So I've decided that she can come to one of our rehearsal's next week........and still the rest of the band have not met her.

This should be interesting.

k_Reign
02-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Sounds great to me. I'm always a fan of female lead vocalists in most cases. Hopefully your bandmates will be open-minded about it once they hear her sing, and she sounds like a cool girl. Let us know how it goes :)

hamartia
02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
The problem with having a female frontman (if their attractive) is that they become a sort of eye candy and the music starts to come in scond place. Personally i wouldn't do it.

Black Star
02-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Step a little closer, Junior.

Closer...

Closer still...

http://justgiving.typepad.com/justgivings_blog/images/fish.jpg

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Best post ever.

VirtualBramm
02-18-2010, 06:52 PM
a picture of her should make our (atleast my) opinion easier to make :)