Crowd Pleasers in a Bar

PDA

View Full Version : Crowd Pleasers in a Bar

Heylo12
01-31-2010, 12:30 PM
ok, so what songs should a band do in a canadian bar on a friday night?
My bands got a while before gigging, bit young, but might as well start learning these tunes early.
So right now we do lots of rush, tragically hip, and led zeppelin. I was thinking stuff like ACDC,ZZ top, Tom Petty, Beatles, Stones and Queen would be good. I dont want to start doing like pop stuff (jonas), so I was thinking these bands might be more well known to a younger crowd.
Im used to playing at camp fires and jams for an older crowd, so I know what 40+ tend to listen to... but what about bar folk?
thanks!

Coup de Grace
01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Whitesnake
Def Leppard
Poison
Toto
Ozzy

gljbass
01-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Plush by Stone Temple Pilots would be a good song.
Also, crowds LOVE funk hits like "Play That Funky Music" and "Brick House". "Mr. Bigshot". "Superfreak". Any of the hits by Rick James, James Brown, and others.

theogonia777
01-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Whitesnake
Def Leppard
Poison
Toto
Ozzy

these are good suggestions, and as far as individual songs go i'd say play here i go again by whitesnake or every rose has its thorns by poison. but also ts the ones you mentioned are good, cause those are bands that everyone knows, which is what you need to play at this kind of gig.

EL2T
01-31-2010, 01:27 PM
In canada? Nickelback? Bryan Adams?

Heylo12
01-31-2010, 01:50 PM
oh god... no nickelback or bryan adams... thats just awfull. I draw the line there!
Thanks for the other suggestions though, gave us some ideas!

Quintex
01-31-2010, 02:39 PM
In canada? Nickelback? Bryan Adams?
Absolutely not for a bar crowd. Nickelback only in clubs with moderation, too loud and obnoxious for a bar. Bryan Adams is a invitation to being bottled (if you don't know what bottled is, you haven't played the bar/club circuit).

However, in most parts of Canada you can't go wrong with The Tragically Hip.

AC/DC, Rolling Stones, early Beatles work with any crowd. Depending on region and crowd, sing-a-long songs like "Friends in Low Places" and "Margaritaville" work (mainly in Sask/Alberta, parts of B.C. outside the Lower Mainland, all of the Maritimes like to sing as well). After a while you learn the regional setlist differences, such as Toronto has vastly a different crowd than Edmonton. Smaller towns tend to be a more spontaneious/mixed genre set list, larger centres tend to be more focused such as staying in a classic rock format all night. Hell, one band I know got away with a "70s Disco" version of their band for about 6 shows a year, usually private functions though.

Night clubs or bars posing as night clubs you can be a little heavier, but if the girls don't dance (guys will follow the girls) you won't be invited back. Dancing = beer/booze sales = happy proprietor.

axemanchris
01-31-2010, 04:19 PM
There's a sticky for that,

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290962

CT