Usefulness of Myspace?

PDA

View Full Version : Usefulness of Myspace?

Jango22
01-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Hey, i'm in a band that's just starting to get off the ground, and we just released a 3 song demo for free over the internet. I was wondering how much use having a Myspace would be, as we already have a group and fanpage on facebook. We're entering the three songs in a statewide BotB, and we get some sort of free hosting for just participating. However, would having a myspace be worth it? And where could we get a good layout?

sweet<>dreams
01-31-2010, 08:10 PM
yes, i think myspace is definetly a great tool and is very helpful. and you could either find someone you know to make you a layout, or find someone on myspace to do it

KirbyzShadow
01-31-2010, 08:10 PM
well, you dont have nothing to lose :)
do it, you might get some new fans.

Black Star
01-31-2010, 08:24 PM
well, you dont have nothing to lose :)
do it, you might get some new fans.

I agree with this, even though MySpace is slowly on the way out. As far as I can tell, most people are now switching over to Facebook. However, that doesn't change the fact that the more social networks your on, the better off you're going to be. Just remember to keep up those pages. Don't let them drift into oblivion.

Jango22
01-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Yeah, i'm usually making a post or two(per day) on the group. The fanpage is more for streaming the music, but the group provides a place to download it from. The members on the fanpage are also members on the group, so that one can be left for alittle bit.
However, none of the band members are big myspace members. Hell, i think i'm the only one who has one, andi haven't been on for several years. Any idea on how to connect that way? We have one started, but no friends and i haven't had a chance to upload the songs there yet.

MPica
01-31-2010, 08:38 PM
Myspace definitely isn't as big as it used to be, but personally I think band pages on myspace are better than band pages on facebook. There's just more options with myspace profiles.

AlanHB
02-01-2010, 04:07 AM
Myspace pages are good for referring pubs/clubs to your music when applying for gigs. Alone it should not be relied upon as exposure for your band.

Syphen
02-01-2010, 08:46 AM
myspace is unfortunately a necessary evil in my opinion.

its going away and losing its luster, but i do believe its still a good idea to have one and to keep it updated.

dont rely on the social networking sites to get all your exposure if even the majority, but they are good tools to have.

6stringbassist
02-01-2010, 12:55 PM
My band is on myspace, and we use it to let people listen to us. It's great, and we don't take the lay out to seriously.

gald
02-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Myspace pages are good for referring pubs/clubs to your music when applying for gigs. Alone it should not be relied upon as exposure for your band.

This.

It's a good place to post a few songs and have all of the Bio/Contact info for your band laid out in one easy-to-read place.

For interacting with/gaining fans however, Facebbook is far superior now.

Gurgle!Argh!
02-01-2010, 07:01 PM
have it because people know it and will want it: they are familiar with the way it works and the player and know they can hear you there. but you can't base yourself around it any more. you gotta go with the new things, and also try to work on making sure you have a decent mailing list. the myspace thing was great whilst it lasted, but those days are long gone.

personally, i'm gonna be pushing bandcamp a lot with my band from hereon in.

take_it_t
02-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I think the amount of time you spend debating the effectiveness of a MySpace profile on here, could be used to create one. If you're serious about networking your band you should create a presence in as many networks as you can.

Jango22
02-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Has anyone had any experience with broadjam.com? We recently signed up so we could participate in a statewide battle of the bands, and it seems like a good alternative to myspace. Less known than myspace, but it offers the same general features (i.e. contact info, streaming songs, event calenders, etc.) Opinions on it?

Bitches nBagels
02-04-2010, 08:40 PM
idk about it but it wants my phone number in the sign up.... dont really wanna sign up anymore

Jango22
02-05-2010, 02:53 PM
They send you texts about music licensing opportunities