Help me choose Dimarzio Pickups for all Mahogany Guitar

PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose Dimarzio Pickups for all Mahogany Guitar

fnichols1
02-01-2010, 02:40 PM
I recently bought a Washburn WI45. Mahogany neck and body (les paul shape), no maple cap. I also have a schecter c1+ with duncan jazz/distortion and an esp viper with 89/81. For the washburn I want to do an all dimarzio pickup combo. My schecter is very versatile I mainly use it for rock/country/jazz, my viper is a metal monster, I'd like the washburn to be somewhere in the middle. I'm guessing I'll need some bright pickups to even out with the dark sounding wood. Here are some ideas, let me know what you think. Thanks!

Bridge:
Steve Special
Evolution
Evo 2
Breed
Crunchlab
DSonic
Super 2 or 3

Neck:
Air Norton
Paf Pro
Liquifire

justinb904
02-01-2010, 02:50 PM
super 2 is great for anything from rock to metal and should be bright enough to balance with the wood tone

ldonnell89
02-01-2010, 02:50 PM
you couldn't go wrong with any of those, i'd probably put a tone zone in the bridge and an air norton in the neck. but if you go to dimarzio's website they have a pickup selector that will help narrow down your odds cause it ask what kind of music you'll be playing, body wood, and bridge or neck pickups. -logan-

ohspyro89
02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
The effect of wood is negligible on your tone, in comparison to the effect of your amp, pedals, and fingers.

Basically, go play those pickups at a Guitar Center or something on those guitars and see how they sound. Then choose! Youtube helps too.

oneblackened
02-01-2010, 07:41 PM
The D-sonic is awesome. I just installed one in my LP, and it sounds amazing with the rail towards the neck.

fnichols1
02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm leaning towards the D-Sonic and Air Norton. Now to figure out how to install the D-Sonic. I've heard conflicting advise about what the rail direction implies. Rail towards neck for drop tunings? Towards bridge for regular tuning? Toward bridge is brighter? Toward neck is darker? maybe someone can shed some light on this. Thanks!

Edit:
just found some useful advise on this thread
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1012949&highlight=d+sonic+direction

oneblackened
02-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Rail towards neck for standard, towards bridge for drop. towards bridge is brighter, but it's fairly bright as-is.

SLonergan
02-02-2010, 04:42 PM
You put a D-Sonic in your LP?

I want to do the same...but I'm scared it would ruin the look!

oneblackened
02-02-2010, 05:26 PM
No worries, it looks fine, if a bit odd with a covered HB in the neck. Time to get myself an Evo or something.

xstillspinninx
02-03-2010, 12:00 AM
I think those are all a bit on the hot side, but that's just me. I do love that D-Sonic however, and I plan to stick in a guitar of mine at sometime. I'd go for the Air Norton for the neck, but I'd try to put a cooler pickup in the bridge if it were me.

fnichols1
02-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Now I'm thinking Steve's Special. I'm more of a rhythm player and it is highly recommended in mahogany guitars. Also, I don't care for the D-Sonic look either, not that it matters.

littlephil
02-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Now I'm thinking Steve's Special. I'm more of a rhythm player and it is highly recommended in mahogany guitars. Also, I don't care for the D-Sonic look either, not that it matters.
The Steves Special is a fairly dark sounding pickup. I'd probably go an Evo or D-Sonic personally, and a Liquifire for the neck.

Saminator
02-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I had an Evo 2 in my mahogany guitar and loved it. It's got a good, mid-rangey voice. I now have the D Sonic in there and love that too. I recommend both.

EViLDC5
02-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I recently purchased an Ibanez S5470 prestige guitar that has a completely solid mahogany body. I really wasnt satisfied with the stock p/u's so I purchased and installed myself DiMarzio PAF JOE in the neck and MO JOE in the bridge. Im in total bliss right now haha. The only p/u that you mentioned that I've actually played is the PAF PRO. Comparing the PAF PRO to the PAF JOE on my guitar, the PAF JOE is very similiar sounding but in my opinion is more articulate. It's very warm and glassy sounding like the PRO, but cut's through better.. Less muddy and more articulate.

fnichols1
02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Believe it or not, the more I play the WI45 the more happy I am with it and the stock Randall pickups. I might be wasting my money with a pickup change. The Randall pickups are very clean and clear. Not as much character as a seymour duncan but not sterile either.

Here's another random thought. Maybe a 59 bridge and neck combo would be nice. Kind of like the Jackson SLS3 which is all mahogany with the 59's. I feel like my cheap washburn could become a nice copy of that guitar with some 59s. I'm all over the place at this point.