Ska Question.

PDA

View Full Version : Ska Question.

NirvanaFighters
02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm getting ready to start a Ska band with a friend. We currently have a guitarist(me) two trumpet players, and a trombone player. We're looking for a bass player and drummer currently. My question is..what else do we need if we need anything else? Like what kind of amps, pedals, ect. Please help me out. I just recently got into Ska, so im clueless in this. Thanks! :)

Sid McCall
02-08-2010, 04:19 PM
That's pretty much it. My only advice- don't play generic third wave. It's become a bit of a novelty, and sure it's fun at first, but in all honesty, it's dead. You need to change the genre a little bit, have fun with it. Be creative, like Streetlight Manifesto and Big D have changed the genre around.

Also, find a sax player. Baritone sax is awesome, but super hard to find. Sax isn't necessary by any means, I just find that ska bands with sax sound way cooler.

britishsligean
02-08-2010, 04:20 PM
keyboard wouldn't go astray, in terms of guitars, stuff like les paul's, telecaster's and start's are well suited, pedals you would be looking at delay, tremelo, reverb, distortion, chorus. for amps fender tube amps go well, you could get away with a peavey classic series.

Against Him?
02-08-2010, 04:22 PM
depends on what kind of a ska band you're starting.

if you're doing a punk ska or skacore you're probably going to want some kind of distortion pedal so you can turn it off and on between choruses and verses.
some ska bands especially skacore bands just use distortion all the time.
I'm thinking you'll want some kind of an amp with a really good clean tone like a good fender reverb or twin. (expensive though)

you'll probably need mics or pickups for your horn players depending on the size of venue you're playing.
other then that you can do w/e you want. amps pedals are all about guitar tone and that's just personal preference. do you want your guitars to sound like op ivy? sublime? the specials? mad caddies? it's all just whatever you want.

the most important thing for you is to learn to play ska guitar correctly. get or scratchyness down.

edit: get a sax player. trumpets and trombones are nice but saxes are best. find a good one.

BR0KENHEARTED
02-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Just listen to the Slime Kings fool.

TN_BOOTBOY
02-08-2010, 05:18 PM
A trombone player is always good.

Rancid Ivy
02-08-2010, 07:31 PM

:rolleyes:

BR0KENHEARTED
02-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Slime Kings own you.

Against Him?
02-08-2010, 08:10 PM
I'll slime on your king................

SKAtastic7770
02-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Kick one of the trumpet players out. Just bone and one trumpet will sound great. But obviously your not gonna do that. Adding any sax player is not a bad choice. Id recommend Bari, that way bone covers the tenor range, and tpt covers the alto. As for a singer, if you or your bass player can sing thats probably best. Ska bands tend to get really big and adding a singer can make scheduling practices and setting up on stage a pain. Make your horn players be energetic during live shows to make up for it. As for effects, you really should only need a clean and distorted channel. I recommend using a footswitch with your amp for distortion. Using a boss pedal is just gonna make you sound more generic.And depending on how far you wanna go, if you just want a cult following of kids from school then generic fun, funny third wave is okay. but if you wanna go anywhere its probably wise to be as punk or unique as possible to gain interest from a wider audience. Listen to a lot of bands, any genre, for influences, but most importantly listen to present day ska as well as roots. It would probably be a good idea not to listen to any 90's third wave while you write songs, instead to turn other genres for influence, or more cutting edge ska core. Know your roots though! Two tone and 1st wave!
Edit: Ive already said alot, but finding a great drummer and bass player is important, youll need a bassist bassist, not a rhythm guitarist bassist. Also a drummer who knows how to do some interesting stuff, punk and hardcore influenced beats and fills will add more variety to a dying musical genre.

Rancid Ivy
02-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Slime Kings own you.
I know, Slime Kings are :sexsmile:

Against Him?
02-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Kick one of the trumpet players out. Just bone and one trumpet will sound great. But obviously your not gonna do that. Adding any sax player is not a bad choice. Id recommend Bari, that way bone covers the tenor range, and tpt covers the alto. As for a singer, if you or your bass player can sing thats probably best. Ska bands tend to get really big and adding a singer can make scheduling practices and setting up on stage a pain. Make your horn players be energetic during live shows to make up for it. As for effects, you really should only need a clean and distorted channel. I recommend using a footswitch with your amp for distortion. Using a boss pedal is just gonna make you sound more generic.And depending on how far you wanna go, if you just want a cult following of kids from school then generic fun, funny third wave is okay. but if you wanna go anywhere its probably wise to be as punk or unique as possible to gain interest from a wider audience. Listen to a lot of bands, any genre, for influences, but most importantly listen to present day ska as well as roots. It would probably be a good idea not to listen to any 90's third wave while you write songs, instead to turn other genres for influence, or more cutting edge ska core. Know your roots though! Two tone and 1st wave!
Edit: Ive already said alot, but finding a great drummer and bass player is important, youll need a bassist bassist, not a rhythm guitarist bassist. Also a drummer who knows how to do some interesting stuff, punk and hardcore influenced beats and fills will add more variety to a dying musical genre.

I'm gunna add that a good bassist is reallllllly reallllly important for a ska band.
every sound in a ska band tends to lean on the treblely/punchy side from the guitars to the horns and you really need a good bassist to bring in the bottom.

a bari sax can help but in a guitar driven band horns tend to punch through way too hard and lend themselves more to melody lines then rhythm.
so basicly in the average ska band the guitars and drums lend rhythm, the horns/vocals are the melody and the bass is counter-melody.

a ska bassist needs to be more talented than a ska guitarist imo.

i'm

NirvanaFighters
02-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Haha, thanks for the advise guys.

But you'd be suprised about the low enthusiam to join a ska band. We might be doing skacore, but at the moment it's up in the air. Thanks once again!

Edit: I forgot to menchon that I'll also be singing too. And to the posts that said find a bassist bassist not a rhythym bassist, me being a bassist turned guitar player, I would know which is which.

Against Him?
02-08-2010, 10:28 PM
good luck.

NirvanaFighters
02-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks!

Another question that popped up in my mind.

What are some artist that, in your opinion, would be a good band to listen to starting out.

britishsligean
02-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks!

Another question that popped up in my mind.

What are some artist that, in your opinion, would be a good band to listen to starting out.
jools hollands rythem and blues orchestra play ska abit mainly down to having one of the founders of ska in the horns section, the specials also play ska, bob marely would be another one to look at whilst he is known for reggae some ska licks come into his music

Against Him?
02-09-2010, 04:28 PM
the specials, the clash, catch 22, operation ivy, mighty mighty bosstones, the aquabats, mad caddies, sublime, leftover crack

SKAtastic7770
02-09-2010, 07:06 PM
the specials, the clash, catch 22, operation ivy, mighty mighty bosstones, the aquabats, mad caddies, sublime, leftover crack
All good bands. Don't forget the Selecter, Desmond Dekker and Prince Buster. Some great younger and more active bands would be We Are The Union, Fatter Than Albert, Interrobang!?, and Bomb The Music Industry.

LonelyStarts
02-11-2010, 03:10 AM

What about Nickel Sluts and Argyle $treet.

:puke:

ska-dude182
02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
All good bands. Don't forget the Selecter, Desmond Dekker and Prince Buster. Some great younger and more active bands would be We Are The Union, Fatter Than Albert, Interrobang!?, and Bomb The Music Industry.

what about slapstick? they're good too

BR0KENHEARTED
02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
What about Nickel Sluts and Argyle $treet.

:puke:

Argyle Streets demo isn't done. And I assumed he wanted good bands.

LonelyStarts
02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Argyle Streets demo isn't done. And I assumed he wanted good bands.

Uhm. FINAL COUNTDOWN!!!!!!!!!

nashawa
02-11-2010, 10:26 PM
And to the posts that said find a bassist bassist not a rhythym bassist, me being a bassist turned guitar player, I would know which is which.
He means one that doesn't suck.