Vox AC4TV and pedals?

PDA

View Full Version : Vox AC4TV and pedals?

Casually_Spoken
02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Hi, I'm pretty much set on get an AC4TV in the next week or so but I just wondered how well it take pedals? Specifically distortion pedals.

As well as this I am a complete pedal noob, so with a 75 max price limit (seems to go a way on ebay) what distortion pedal would you guys recommend and why?

LittleRoom
02-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Meh... Sold mine because of that. It's overdrive was great but that was all it could do.
Keep in mind that I almost only play blues.

lkngro
02-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I got an AC4TV for Christmas this year, and I absolutely love it. However, I don't blame you for wanting to use distortion pedals with it. That's not saying the amp's overdrive is bad, but why waste a fantastic clean channel?

I use a BOSS SD-1 for a boost and a Blackout Effectors Fix'd Fuzz V3 for my main distortion. They work beautifully together. But for your price range (that's about $150 USD give or take, right?), might I suggest just going on proguitarshop.com and taking a gander at the overdrive and distortion pedals. Maybe even fuzz.

It really just depends on what pedal you want, because this amp loves them all, as long as it isn't too gainy, otherwise it sounds like your grandmother taking a shit. Unless that's your thing...

holycow
02-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Hi, I'm pretty much set on get an AC4TV in the next week or so but I just wondered how well it take pedals? Specifically distortion pedals.

As well as this I am a complete pedal noob, so with a 75 max price limit (seems to go a way on ebay) what distortion pedal would you guys recommend and why?

havent tried the VOX AC4tv but I tried the Laney Cub 10 and really liked it. u might wanna check it out. Theres also a Laney Cub 8 which is 5 watts tube.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/42101-laney-cub-10-class-a-b-all-tube-combo.html

what type of distortion are u looking for? any specific bands?

Casually_Spoken
02-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Had a look at the LAney, but my main reason for wanting the AC4TV is for the 4w 1w and 1/4w settings, I'll be living in a house with many flatmates next year lol.

I'm not specifically going to be toing to emulate any bands sounds, I just want something that will allow me to get a beefier metal tone when I'm in the mood :)

I'm pretty certain about the AC4TV as it fills all my requirements except for the metal side of things. If I can't really find a pedal to suit my needs I'd still be happy with the Vox.

holycow
02-09-2010, 09:30 AM
pedal for metal eh?

digitech hardwire metal distortion tl-2
EHX metal muff
Digitech hardwire valve distortion sc-2 ( can do blues, classic rock, 80's metal stuff but not enough gain for mordern metal bands like BFMV, LOG etc. )
Barber dirty bomb

holycow
02-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Had a look at the LAney, but my main reason for wanting the AC4TV is for the 4w 1w and 1/4w settings, I'll be living in a house with many flatmates next year lol.

yeah but for a 4w amp, a built-in attuenator isn't really necessary. just keep the volume at 1 and u'll be fine.

lkngro
02-09-2010, 09:35 AM

I'm not specifically going to be toing to emulate any bands sounds, I just want something that will allow me to get a beefier metal tone when I'm in the mood :)

I'm pretty certain about the AC4TV as it fills all my requirements except for the metal side of things. If I can't really find a pedal to suit my needs I'd still be happy with the Vox.
If you want to push the AC4TV into anything resembling metal, then get some kind of overdrive pedal like a BOSS SD-1, OD-2, Digitach Bad Monkey, or Ibanez TS9 or TS808 to push the tubes. Even then, you won't really get the brootalz.

And if you want it because of the power attanuator, take a look at the Bugera V5. 5W, 1W, then .5W. It's cheaper, has both gain and volume settings, decent reverb, and could move into metal territory more easily than the Vox. Then you can back it off to a pretty nice clean tone. Not as nice as the Vox, but still nice.

Casually_Spoken
02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Ok thanks for the info guys, I'll list all this down and have a look at it all, either way there should be a NAD and NPD sometime soon for me :)