3 piece bands

PDA

View Full Version : 3 piece bands

dm1925
02-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Hey UGers.

My metal/death metal band just lost a guitarist. We are now a 3 piece band, guitar/vocals, bass and drums. It seems like only us 3 are really able to get along really well. The last 2 times we tried to bring someone else into the mix, we ended up not getting along at all and eventually had to let them go. The problem is that as a guitar player, I like to have to have another guitarist playing because it fattens up the sound, and opens up alot of options when songwriting.

My question is should we get another guitarist and risk not getting along, or stay a 3 piece? Also, do you think having only 3 members hurts our image as a band?

GoodCharloteSux
02-14-2010, 06:41 PM
3 Piece Metal Bands are very rare... i don't know just on a technical aspect if you guys could handle it. Metal solo's with no rhythm guitar in metal are very ugh, trust me I used to be in a 3 piece metal band, it blew. Get a 4th guy or shift your sound

The Arsis
02-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Try getting another guitarist.

Black Star
02-14-2010, 07:51 PM
3 Piece Metal Bands are very rare... i don't know just on a technical aspect if you guys could handle it. Metal solo's with no rhythm guitar in metal are very ugh, trust me I used to be in a 3 piece metal band, it blew. Get a 4th guy or shift your sound

As long as you have a bassist that can do something beyond root notes, a metal band can work perfectly with one guitarist.

Ever hear of Motorhead?

To answer TS, I don't think it'll hurt your image at all. I'd say your band getting along is much more important than you having another guitarist. It's better to have a decent band that stays together than an awesome band that's breaking up every week.

SilentHeaven109
02-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Ever hear of Motorhead?

That's such an inappropriate example for the point you're trying to make, kinda like how the Doors are the universal example of how bands can work without bassists, you have to consider the context.

TS has already stated that he plays in a death metal band. As an avid death metal fan, I can honestly say that I've never even seen a decent death metal band with one guitarist (someone prove me wrong? :p: )
It's very intense music that requires the crunch and power of 2 guitars, in my opinion at least.

If it was a simple Classic Rock/Melodic Metal band, one guitar would be fine. However, if you want to make good death metal getting a 2nd guitarist is pretty much unavoidable.

You might be finding it difficult to accept someone else because you 3 are such good friends. All I can suggest is that you keep trying to find someone, it may be a bit difficult to find musicians who want to play death metal, but if you're serious about this band and your style then you'll have to keep trying.

The number of members shouldn't hurt your image at all, I wouldn't think. Image in death metal isn't exactly difficult anyway, if you have cargo shorts, unreadable logos on your T-shirts and maybe some leather, the number of members won't hurt at all :p:

seljer
02-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Amongst the bands I've seen in the past year there were quite a few playing pretty heavy stuff just as trios.

Sodom and Destruction doing that oldschool german thrash thing still going.
Psycroptic have only one guitarist + bass and are as brutal as **** (though to what I heard they had quite a lot of samples and such going on for the clean guitar intros etc...)
The Faceless had only one guitar live (because quite frankly you'd have to be insane to sing while playing that kind of stuff)

it can be done

dm1925
02-14-2010, 08:45 PM
That's such an inappropriate example for the point you're trying to make, kinda like how the Doors are the universal example of how bands can work without bassists, you have to consider the context.

TS has already stated that he plays in a death metal band. As an avid death metal fan, I can honestly say that I've never even seen a decent death metal band with one guitarist (someone prove me wrong? :p: )
It's very intense music that requires the crunch and power of 2 guitars, in my opinion at least.

If it was a simple Classic Rock/Melodic Metal band, one guitar would be fine. However, if you want to make good death metal getting a 2nd guitarist is pretty much unavoidable.

You might be finding it difficult to accept someone else because you 3 are such good friends. All I can suggest is that you keep trying to find someone, it may be a bit difficult to find musicians who want to play death metal, but if you're serious about this band and your style then you'll have to keep trying.

The number of members shouldn't hurt your image at all, I wouldn't think. Image in death metal isn't exactly difficult anyway, if you have cargo shorts, unreadable logos on your T-shirts and maybe some leather, the number of members won't hurt at all :p:

Hah, we dont do the whole unreadable logo thing, thats for the deathcore kids now.

Black Star
02-14-2010, 09:16 PM

Maybe if you read what I quoted, you'd realize that my comment was not towards the TS, but to the guy who said "you need two guitars to play metal". My point was to prove that statement false. Just like if somebody said "you HAVE to have a bassist", I would use the Doors as an example, even though they have something else to fill the lower end. If the statement is wrong, I'm going to argue it. Context is irrelevant.

However, I will agree that it's harder to do with a death metal band. But not impossible.

SilentHeaven109
02-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Maybe if you read what I quoted, you'd realize that my comment was not towards the TS, but to the guy who said "you need two guitars to play metal". My point was to prove that statement false. Just like if somebody said "you HAVE to have a bassist", I would use the Doors as an example, even though they have something else to fill the lower end. If the statement is wrong, I'm going to argue it. Context is irrelevant.

However, I will agree that it's harder to do with a death metal band. But not impossible.

I meant that it was inappropriate because Motorhead aren't really a metal band, I'd have probably used Pantera, Galneryus or Nightwish as an example, but I do agree with you that most types of metal can be done with just one guitar, death metal just isn't one of them in my view.

Also, you usually do have to consider context when giving advice. For example, there was a thread here a while back where a guy asked if his punk/metal would sound good without a bassist, and quite a few people pointed to The Doors, which just doesn't make sense, whereas if the general question was, "Do you need a bassist?" then it would be a valid example.

Black Star
02-14-2010, 09:46 PM
I meant that it was inappropriate because Motorhead aren't really a metal band, but I do agree with you that most types of metal can be done with just one guitar, death metal just isn't one of them in my view.

Also, you usually do have to consider context when giving advice. For example, there was a thread here a while back where a guy asked if his punk/metal would sound good without a bassist, and quite a few people pointed to The Doors, which just doesn't make sense, whereas if the general question was, "Do you need a bassist?" then it would be a valid example.

Well of course context is important, but as far as my argument went, context was irrelevant. Glad to see this was just a misunderstanding, though :cheers:

But really, Motorhead not being a metal band?

Also, with the topic being "3 piece bands," my mind went to the only metal band I know of with three members. I forgot all the bands that are essentially a power trio + a vocalist. But also, Nightwish use keyboards extensively, so they wouldn't be a very good example, either.

SilentHeaven109
02-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Well of course context is important, but as far as my argument went, context was irrelevant. Glad to see this was just a misunderstanding, though :cheers:

But really, Motorhead not being a metal band?

Also, with the topic being "3 piece bands," my mind went to the only metal band I know of with three members. I forgot all the bands that are essentially a power trio + a vocalist. But also, Nightwish use keyboards extensively, so they wouldn't be a very good example, either.

I'm not much of a genre elitist, so I wouldn't want to argue what genre Motorhead fall into, but I've always really just considered them Rock and Roll, as Lemmy himself does.

You may have hit on something with that last point too, using keyboards is an excellent way for one guitar bands to beef up their sounds. I haven't heard them much in pure death metal (Nocturnus is all that really comes to mind :confused: ) but if there's some Melodic Death Metal influence then keyboards/synth could work wonders, TS.

Declan87
02-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Why don't you write the music that you want to write, arrange it for guitar/bass/drums, and leave the genre classifications to the NME?

phoenix_crush
02-14-2010, 11:54 PM
High on Fire has one guitar and they're pretty heavy. Not death metal, but still...

Td_Nights
02-15-2010, 07:52 AM
The Fall Of Troy do some heavier stuff at times, and they're a three piece...or did they add a keyboardist? I don't keep track.

Anyways TS: If all else fails...Looper pedals with pre-recorded tracks are your friend. Invest in a good one.

lowend77
02-15-2010, 12:00 PM
That's such an inappropriate example for the point you're trying to make, kinda like As an avid death metal fan, I can honestly say that I've never even seen a decent death metal band with one guitarist (someone prove me wrong?

Krisiun !!!!

MrWright_11
02-15-2010, 03:00 PM
In a live setting ive seen three peices metal acts at the Rave in Milwaukee. The Bass can really carry the song under soloing guitars cause people hear whats not there sometimes the mind fills in the blank amidst the live atmosphere. But the Bassist has to know what hes doing

6stringbassist
02-15-2010, 04:56 PM
You can make it work. And try to find a guitarist that you all like, so you will all get along with each other.

Uber Man
02-15-2010, 07:44 PM
2 guitars is always better then one. on the bright side, it's one less name your fans well have to remember.

scguitarking927
02-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Hey UGers.

My metal/death metal band just lost a guitarist. We are now a 3 piece band, guitar/vocals, bass and drums. It seems like only us 3 are really able to get along really well. The last 2 times we tried to bring someone else into the mix, we ended up not getting along at all and eventually had to let them go. The problem is that as a guitar player, I like to have to have another guitarist playing because it fattens up the sound, and opens up alot of options when songwriting.

My question is should we get another guitarist and risk not getting along, or stay a 3 piece? Also, do you think having only 3 members hurts our image as a band?

I just googled 3 piece metal band and came up with this, I'm not a real metal head, but it sounds pretty tight to me.

Revocation - dismantle the dictator (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmg3jr7Bhfo)

Freunleven
02-15-2010, 07:59 PM
The original metal band - y'know, Black Sabbath - got by just fine with only one guitar. Damageplan, Pantera and Disturbed have done all right with just one guitar player, too. Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, while not strictly metal acts, seem to have managed to pull off a solid guitar-based sound with just one guitar player.

Its not a matter of having what you think you need - its a matter of doing the best you can with what you have.

Timothy O.
02-15-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't think it's impossible, but it depends on how technical you wanna get solo wise (like, you obviously can't harmonize guitar lines the way you would with 2 guitarists). If you can't get along with a 4th member then you may not have another choice but never keep that option closed if you think you may need the 2nd guitar. I'm in a 3-piece hard rock band and to thicken our sound my bassist will put distortion on his bass. I'm not sure if yours does or not (I always though death metal bands usually keep their bass distorted) but if not, have him try that, and maybe make your guitar and the bass tuned to an even lower tuning (if you're in Drop C try Drop B or Drop Bb) to make the sound thicker. Not sure if that'd help the sound or make things worse but it seems like it'd make for a fuller sound overall as a band. Trial and error I suppose.

JustRooster
02-17-2010, 12:29 PM
The Fall Of Troy do some heavier stuff at times, and they're a three piece...or did they add a keyboardist? I don't keep track.

Anyways TS: If all else fails...Looper pedals with pre-recorded tracks are your friend. Invest in a good one.

I was this close to posting TFOT, but I decided to read the comments first. Good thing, haha.

isabiggles
02-17-2010, 12:43 PM
It's possible.

Unlikely though... your best bet is probably to carry on as you are whilst trying out various guitarists. Don't commit to one guitarist. Guitarists are everywhere and are always looking for a band so it's not going to be difficult to find them.

Highwaytohell
02-17-2010, 02:18 PM
High on Fire. One of the heaviest sounding trios ever. They f'kin rule!
It really depends on how good your bassist is. If you got a dude who can really rip ellefson and burton lines, has powerful tone and is unafraid to use such mechanisms as distortion and bass powerchords- you can do alot- i know thats what my bassist does :O