Most Influential Punk Band, that wasn't a "punk" band...

PDA

View Full Version : Most Influential Punk Band, that wasn't a "punk" band...

the_wassel
02-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Well, I decided to clean up my act and become a contributing member of the UG community and stop cluddering the forum with useless threads. So here's a question, what band most influence punk, but wasn't exactly "punk". Some people say The Stooges, others the MC5, The Velvet Underground and the Sonics. What do you guys think?

Kämpfer
02-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Hey! you're the guy that's writing that 'Career Opportunities' story yeah? great work dude.
As for the thread, I don't really know..I'd say The Stooges.

werty22
02-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Fleetwood Mac.

the_wassel
02-16-2010, 12:40 AM
Hey! you're the guy that's writing that 'Career Opportunities' story yeah? great work dude.
As for the thread, I don't really know..I'd say The Stooges.

thanks for noticing dude. i just got bored one day, and after reading all of nolan whyte's stuff i thought "what the hell". but yeah, i'd say them

psorgatz
02-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Woody Guthrie

swarley
02-16-2010, 12:42 AM
I'll just throw the New York Dolls into the mix here.

werty22
02-16-2010, 12:43 AM
I saw some of that article earlier. I lol'd.

the_wassel
02-16-2010, 12:44 AM
Woody Guthrie

yeah, actually. that's not a bad idea.

Ekofu
02-16-2010, 12:44 AM
My Chemical Romance.

Let's face it, there's a lot of new 'punk' bands that were influenced by them.
Pop ******s.

the_wassel
02-16-2010, 12:54 AM
My Chemical Romance.

Let's face it, there's a lot of new 'punk' bands that were influenced by them.
Pop ******s.

too true.

werty22
02-16-2010, 01:02 AM
No, that's not really true at all. The only self-proclaimed punk bands I know of that have been significantly influenced by MCR are the little "bands" that never actually played together or wrote songs. You know, just some 7th grade pals who said they played instruments and decided to make a Myspace music page.

the_wassel
02-16-2010, 01:13 AM
No, that's not really true at all. The only self-proclaimed punk bands I know of that have been significantly influenced by MCR are the little "bands" that never actually played together or wrote songs. You know, just some 7th grade pals who said they played instruments and decided to make a Myspace music page.

i don't like your tone "pal".

you're treating me like a poser. i'm not. infact, you're ****ing cyberstalking me.

get a life. don't pick on kids.

neidnarb11890
02-16-2010, 01:30 AM
It's spelled "poseur".
Werty's not stalking you, he's just hanging out on the forums like he always does. Don't be afraid of him; his bark is worse than his bite. But if you don't want to be barked at, don't walk past his yard. You dig, maaaan?

Anywho, Arthur Rimbaud, Chuck Berry, those jazz artists I don't know nothin' about, Jack Kerouac, William S. Burroughs, Bob Dylan, The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, Patti Smith, New York Dolls, Talking Heads, Television, Devo, Joy Division, Wire, Minutemen, etc. etc. you catch my drift.

DempseyPunk
02-16-2010, 02:18 AM
Green Day

OLOLOLOL
amidoinitrite?

axeslash
02-16-2010, 02:54 AM
Before I say anything, the wassel is a whiny little bitch.

Moving on.

So basically nothing is worse for punk than this useless circle-jerking over the influences of punk. Punk itself is simply stripped down rock. To say that a particular band or person was more instrumental in getting people to play simpler rock is silly and pretentious. Punk wasn't so much a musical movement in the fact that it was a change of musical style, rather it was a re-emphasis of song-writing over technical skill and style.

While it is hard to argue that bands like The Stooges and The Sex Pistols have no influence on future musicians it becomes more and more apparent as you look at it that they were more or less symptoms of a new attitude towards music, not the driving forces behind the change. The Ramones were rather important but at the same time you can only give so much credit to the band that played incredibly simple music. They weren't breaking ground, they were simply simplifying what was already there. When people noticed this simple music was still good punk was born. Influences are stupid and people need to get over this silly concept.

And werty is right, the people who claim MC5 are important generally do so because they are the oldest band that people generally agree on being very punk-like and doing so gets you credibility when you're at the certain age when punk is a pissing contest and enjoying punk is secondary to enjoying your new social status as "king punk."

Long story short people need to stop making threads for the sake of making threads. These threads are so dumb and it makes me mad that such a large portion of the younger punks find these conversations to be the height of punk discourse.

rushpython
02-16-2010, 02:56 AM
Mozart
or Led Zeppelin

axeslash
02-16-2010, 02:58 AM
And this is why metalheads are dumb.

the_wassel
02-16-2010, 07:29 AM

Moving on.

So basically nothing is worse for punk than this useless circle-jerking over the influences of punk. Punk itself is simply stripped down rock. To say that a particular band or person was more instrumental in getting people to play simpler rock is silly and pretentious. Punk wasn't so much a musical movement in the fact that it was a change of musical style, rather it was a re-emphasis of song-writing over technical skill and style.

While it is hard to argue that bands like The Stooges and The Sex Pistols have no influence on future musicians it becomes more and more apparent as you look at it that they were more or less symptoms of a new attitude towards music, not the driving forces behind the change. The Ramones were rather important but at the same time you can only give so much credit to the band that played incredibly simple music. They weren't breaking ground, they were simply simplifying what was already there. When people noticed this simple music was still good punk was born. Influences are stupid and people need to get over this silly concept.

And werty is right, the people who claim MC5 are important generally do so because they are the oldest band that people generally agree on being very punk-like and doing so gets you credibility when you're at the certain age when punk is a pissing contest and enjoying punk is secondary to enjoying your new social status as "king punk."

Long story short people need to stop making threads for the sake of making threads. These threads are so dumb and it makes me mad that such a large portion of the younger punks find these conversations to be the height of punk discourse.

if you don't like it, stay out maybe? that's just a thought. "don't walk past his yard."

I_Pwn
02-16-2010, 11:18 AM

you're treating me like a poser. i'm not. infact, you're ****ing cyberstalking me.

This is a forum dude, it's meant for people to discuss issues. Werty didn't even say anything rude to you, he just offered his input to the conversation at hand. I second the comment that you're a whiny bitch.

lolmnt
02-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld

SKAtastic7770
02-16-2010, 12:10 PM
The Who, Elvis Presley.

RizzoWashburn
02-16-2010, 12:27 PM
From a musical standpoint, as axeslash said punk is just stripped down rock and roll and can be traced back to that era of music.

However, when it comes down to it punk is just an extension of the modern counterculture. It was preceded by the hippies, the beats, etc. It happens to have stayed around for longer but eventually there will be a new movement with a different name and different sound that has the same values and beliefs.The music may "die" as people say but the idea moves on in the same way it has for all of human history.

In the end, it doesn't ****ing matter.

BR0KENHEARTED
02-16-2010, 01:08 PM

Nickel Sluts

I had to.

Gnomefry
02-16-2010, 01:40 PM
The Raging Pussies and Robert Mitchum.

Lots O' FX
02-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Zolar X

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/541375/Zolar+X.jpg

PUNK
AS
FUCK

werty22
02-16-2010, 03:13 PM

I wasn't picking on you and I didn't have a negative tone. Not just then, anyway. I'm just saying I don't know of many MCR-influenced bands that consider themselves punk bands.

Here's why I have picked on you since you started posting here:

1) First and foremost, it's what I do. I think any regular can attest to that.
2) You have a Green Day avatar. Sorry, but most people with Green Day avatars are idiots. Same thing with Metallica avatars. I don't have a problem with Green Day, (in fact they were among my favorite bands for a long time) but that's just the way it is.
3) You often disregard capitalization and punctuation. That kind of makes you look dumb. However it's clear that you're fully capable of writing with correct grammar and you just choose not to. I guess that's OK, but it's not that hard to use the shift button every now and then. As petty as it may seem, doing so will make you look smarter.
4) You posted something about a "revival period" in the off-topic thread. That was kind of a silly notion, so I mocked you for it.
5) You didn't seem to understand that I was mocking you, so I continued.
6) I made fun of your age to piss you off. Success.
7) You fell right into BR0KEN and Rizzo's trolltraps, thus you still seemed like an easy target.
8) You name-checked a bunch of bands to prove how punk you are. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23199293&postcount=26277) That's pretty lame.
9) You're so defensive. I'm just a loser making fun of you on the internet. Don't let it get to you.
10) You made a bunch of "THE MODS CLOSED MY TERRIBLE THREADS THEM NAZIS" threads. That's the lowest form of spamming.
11) I only briefly skimmed your articles, but they come off as really lame. They're written OK (actually really well for someone your age) but the story is a cliche and it doesn't seem like the setting is anything that a middle-class suburban (I'm making assumptions) fourteen-year-old would know about. Just seems pretentious to me. But I'm no literary critic.

That list is longer than I expected when I started it.

There's a certain phase many (I dare say most) music enthusiasts go through during which they feel the need to prove how knowledgeable they are. Sometimes they bash genres they don't like. Sometimes they bash bands they feel lack artistic integrity. Sometimes they whine about poseurs. Sometimes they do what I mentioned in point number 8. Sometimes they read about some music-related phenomenon (proto-punk, for example) on Wikipedia and start an oversimplified discussion about it (hint). Eventually most of us realize how silly all that stuff is.

It may seem like I'm attacking you, but I'm not. I'm just playfully teasing you. Like a little kitten, soft and fluffy. Sometimes I wish I was a tiny person so I could ride on your back. You would screech and holler and say "meow get off my back" but I would be holding on to your triangular ears. Then I would get off of you and pour you some milk. My family would say "You're spoiling that cat! He gets more milk than any cat in town!" and I would say "He deserves it! I just surfed on his back for 45 minutes!" (That's point number 9.)

I got on the computer to work on a research paper and ended up doing this. I hope you're happy.

JHC_DOH
02-16-2010, 03:27 PM

Moving on.

Arguing in either direction about anything concerning the history of punk or punk-ness is extremely gay.

... And I am extremely gay for saying that.

werty22
02-16-2010, 03:28 PM
I agree. I feel like a douche whenever I talk about punx history. Which is why I spell it p-u-n-x sometimes; so I'm simultaneously talking about it and making fun of it.

neidnarb11890
02-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Punk is gay.

JHC_DOH
02-16-2010, 03:32 PM
I agree.

huh?

Punks are gay.

Fixed

werty22
02-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Punk is gay.
Hear, hear!

werty22
02-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Zolar X

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/541375/Zolar+X.jpg

PUNK
AS
FUCK
Oh man. How have I not heard of this band? This is awesome.

punkrockdoc
02-16-2010, 04:19 PM
David Bowie

the_wassel
02-16-2010, 04:24 PM
This is a forum dude, it's meant for people to discuss issues. Werty didn't even say anything rude to you, he just offered his input to the conversation at hand. I second the comment that you're a whiny bitch.

yes, yes i am, infact.

LonelyStarts
02-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Good Charlotte, Blink 182, Descendents, The Cramps, The Vibrators, Generation X, Stiff Little Fingers

Snoop Dogg, Slime Kings, DSNF, DMX = P0nx..

the_wassel
02-16-2010, 06:58 PM
I wasn't picking on you and I didn't have a negative tone. Not just then, anyway. I'm just saying I don't know of many MCR-influenced bands that consider themselves punk bands.

Here's why I have picked on you since you started posting here:

1) First and foremost, it's what I do. I think any regular can attest to that.
2) You have a Green Day avatar. Sorry, but most people with Green Day avatars are idiots. Same thing with Metallica avatars. I don't have a problem with Green Day, (in fact they were among my favorite bands for a long time) but that's just the way it is.
3) You often disregard capitalization and punctuation. That kind of makes you look dumb. However it's clear that you're fully capable of writing with correct grammar and you just choose not to. I guess that's OK, but it's not that hard to use the shift button every now and then. As petty as it may seem, doing so will make you look smarter.
4) You posted something about a "revival period" in the off-topic thread. That was kind of a silly notion, so I mocked you for it.
5) You didn't seem to understand that I was mocking you, so I continued.
6) I made fun of your age to piss you off. Success.
7) You fell right into BR0KEN and Rizzo's trolltraps, thus you still seemed like an easy target.
8) You name-checked a bunch of bands to prove how punk you are. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23199293&postcount=26277) That's pretty lame.
9) You're so defensive. I'm just a loser making fun of you on the internet. Don't let it get to you.
10) You made a bunch of "THE MODS CLOSED MY TERRIBLE THREADS THEM NAZIS" threads. That's the lowest form of spamming.
11) I only briefly skimmed your articles, but they come off as really lame. They're written OK (actually really well for someone your age) but the story is a cliche and it doesn't seem like the setting is anything that a middle-class suburban (I'm making assumptions) fourteen-year-old would know about. Just seems pretentious to me. But I'm no literary critic.

That list is longer than I expected when I started it.

There's a certain phase many (I dare say most) music enthusiasts go through during which they feel the need to prove how knowledgeable they are. Sometimes they bash genres they don't like. Sometimes they bash bands they feel lack artistic integrity. Sometimes they whine about poseurs. Sometimes they do what I mentioned in point number 8. Sometimes they read about some music-related phenomenon (proto-punk, for example) on Wikipedia and start an oversimplified discussion about it (hint). Eventually most of us realize how silly all that stuff is.

It may seem like I'm attacking you, but I'm not. I'm just playfully teasing you. Like a little kitten, soft and fluffy. Sometimes I wish I was a tiny person so I could ride on your back. You would screech and holler and say "meow get off my back" but I would be holding on to your triangular ears. Then I would get off of you and pour you some milk. My family would say "You're spoiling that cat! He gets more milk than any cat in town!" and I would say "He deserves it! I just surfed on his back for 45 minutes!" (That's point number 9.)

I got on the computer to work on a research paper and ended up doing this. I hope you're happy.

I guess you're right with all those points. Except for number eight. And I was only have reading those posts. But, forum wars are pointless.

askingforit176
02-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Me and Werty bump heads quite often but I'm backing him up here, he wasn't talking shit to you or cyberstalking. He was merely pointing out your errors/ stating his opinion (isn't that what a forum is?). He does it all the time, its what he does. Then you come along, and start talking and bitching cuz you don't agree with his opinion. In this forum that's a no no, you'll get eaten alive( as you may have figured that out).
Now back to the discussion I'm shocked The Who hasn't been mentioned yet.

RizzoWashburn
02-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Yes they have.

askingforit176
02-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Deffently missed the first post on this page....fail

werty22
02-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Me and Werty bump heads quite often but I'm backing him up here, he wasn't talking shit to you or cyberstalking. He was merely pointing out your errors/ stating his opinion (isn't that what a forum is?). He does it all the time, its what he does. Then you come along, and start talking and bitching cuz you don't agree with his opinion. In this forum that's a no no, you'll get eaten alive( as you may have figured that out).
Now back to the discussion I'm shocked The Who hasn't been mentioned yet.
Really? The only time I know of when we've "bumped heads" was yesterday.

askingforit176
02-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Welp there have been a few other times nothing ever anything major, most of the time, like I mentioned in my post, pointing out my own ignorance lol or my terrible spelling :p

werty22
02-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Oh, I see.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2846644

I've been a dick to you, haven't I?

the_wassel
02-16-2010, 11:31 PM
nah, he was "stalking" (which he actually wasn't) cause he decided to use the immature myspace i had made for my band as evidence of how i had my head up my ass (at least that's how i took it. we don't actually suck that much now. we stopped using the myspace anyway. and with the other forum, i realized a little too late how you'd been being sarcastic, so i got stuck. but yeah, sorry dude.

and yeah, i realized pretty fast about getting eaten alive.

RawPower218
02-16-2010, 11:42 PM
The Kinks
The Who
The Velvet Underground
MC5
The Stooges
David Bowie

RizzoWashburn
02-16-2010, 11:54 PM
There's so much drama in this forum! :wtf: :daisy: :baby: :rasta: :llama: :batman: :waldo:

werty22
02-16-2010, 11:54 PM
nah, he was "stalking" (which he actually wasn't) cause he decided to use the immature myspace i had made for my band as evidence of how i had my head up my ass (at least that's how i took it. we don't actually suck that much now. we stopped using the myspace anyway. and with the other forum, i realized a little too late how you'd been being sarcastic, so i got stuck. but yeah, sorry dude.

and yeah, i realized pretty fast about getting eaten alive.
I didn't know anything about that. I was talking about my personal experience when I was in middle school.

the_wassel
02-16-2010, 11:58 PM
I didn't know anything about that. I was talking about my personal experience when I was in middle school.

serious dude?

well either way, sorry for acting like a bitch.

lolmnt
02-17-2010, 12:09 AM
It may seem like I'm attacking you, but I'm not. I'm just playfully teasing you. Like a little kitten, soft and fluffy. Sometimes I wish I was a tiny person so I could ride on your back. You would screech and holler and say "meow get off my back" but I would be holding on to your triangular ears. Then I would get off of you and pour you some milk. My family would say "You're spoiling that cat! He gets more milk than any cat in town!" and I would say "He deserves it! I just surfed on his back for 45 minutes!" (That's point number 9.)Oh lawd

KevVin
02-17-2010, 08:32 AM
AC/DC are the ****ing punkest band ever.

xUptoNoGoodx
02-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Johnny Cash.

xUptoNoGoodx
02-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Nickel Sluts

I had to.

ouch.

TYLENOL.PM
02-17-2010, 05:09 PM
I had to. You know I love you.

Moving out of our lock out tonight FTL ;[

xUptoNoGoodx
02-17-2010, 05:15 PM
That's horrible. What are you gonna do now?

TYLENOL.PM
02-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Sound Matrix it. Stupid.

xUptoNoGoodx
02-17-2010, 05:26 PM
It's like highschool all over again.

TYLENOL.PM
02-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Minus the heavy petting in the wrestling room.

Or we could work on that too. I'm jumping in the shower come in with me fool don't be gay.

xUptoNoGoodx
02-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Minus the heavy petting in the wrestling room.

Or we could work on that too. I'm jumping in the shower come in with me fool don't be gay.

Approve my friend request you ****.

LonelyStarts
02-17-2010, 07:25 PM
"One, two, three...Gay!"

Lots O' FX
02-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Really? The only time I know of when we've "bumped heads" was yesterday.

Are you talking about arguing or rubbing dicks?

GrungeJunkie
02-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Neil Young, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash, Reverend Horton Heat

werty22
02-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Are you talking about arguing or rubbing dicks?
;)

TYLENOL.PM
02-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Tummy stix yo.

I wanna say Blondie but I don't know how many modern day punx are influenced by that band besides maybe a handful of powerpop junkies. Also Blondie is/was punk.

LonelyStarts
02-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Debbie is/was my lover.. What did you do after the show?

TYLENOL.PM
02-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Went to sleep.

Against Him?
02-21-2010, 10:55 PM
I'd say the most important are the velvets for setting a tone and air of acceptance for alternative/indie music.
This nothing allowed people to take the sounds created by bands like the beatles - helter skelter, the who - my generation and led zeppelin's communication breakton. and turn them into what would be punk.
This brings us to the 70's and bands like the stooges, the mc5 and new york dolls.

I haven't listened to much mc5 and the new york dolls were equally important in creating the ideas of glam rock and hair metal.

The stooges however did the most imo to bring together the actually sound and attiduted of punk. The short hard trashy songs, use of hard power chords riffs and iggy pops ridiculous antics onstage.
Therefore I think the greatest punk album ever is Raw Power by The Stooges.
But i think the band that did the most for punk while being the least punk was the Velvet underground, there music just can't be really called punk anymore.

Fiddelers elbow
02-22-2010, 04:37 PM
I'd say the most important are the velvets for setting a tone and air of acceptance for alternative/indie music.
This nothing allowed people to take the sounds created by bands like the beatles - helter skelter, the who - my generation and led zeppelin's communication breakton. and turn them into what would be punk.
This brings us to the 70's and bands like the stooges, the mc5 and new york dolls.

I haven't listened to much mc5 and the new york dolls were equally important in creating the ideas of glam rock and hair metal.

The stooges however did the most imo to bring together the actually sound and attiduted of punk. The short hard trashy songs, use of hard power chords riffs and iggy pops ridiculous antics onstage.
Therefore I think the greatest punk album ever is Raw Power by The Stooges.
But i think the band that did the most for punk while being the least punk was the Velvet underground, there music just can't be really called punk anymore.

I agree, the velvets and the stooges would be the two big bands in my opinon.

iwannabesedated
02-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Depends, I would say the most influential band to punk rock in America would be The Stooges, but in England I would say The Who.

skatinpunk
02-23-2010, 12:19 AM
^ agreed