Best Low Watt Tube Amp??

PDA

View Full Version : Best Low Watt Tube Amp??

CrackTheSkye
02-16-2010, 06:05 PM
I will probably be looking towards a low watt tube amp in the future depending on if I can sell current gears and come up with funds. Anyway what do you think is the best low watt tube amp on the market right now. Keeping Tone, Versatility, Reliability in mind as you suggest the amp.

Needs good clean, good OD, and can be pushed to metal with right pedal.

By low watt I mean 20 watts or less. Also prefer head rather than combo.

Thanks

Limit to amps that are available in the U.S. please

Also budget would be around $350 and prefer to go used if possible.

JesusCrisp
02-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Jet City JCA20, Blackstar HT-20 (not released in US), Orange Tiny/Dual Terror, Mesa TransAtlantic

CrackTheSkye
02-16-2010, 06:26 PM
I've heard alot about the Jet City and it's pretty much at the top of my list considering the price. I'm also liking the Egnater Rebel 20. The Blackstar won't help me as I'm in the US and the TransAtlantic hasn't been released and is way out of my price range.

JesusCrisp
02-16-2010, 06:32 PM
I've heard alot about the Jet City and it's pretty much at the top of my list considering the price. I'm also liking the Egnater Rebel 20. The Blackstar won't help me as I'm in the US and the TransAtlantic hasn't been released and is way out of my price range.
HT-5 would be an option too.

DIMEBAGLIVEDON
02-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Krank Rev Jr/Pro

heminder
02-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Bugera V22

CrackTheSkye
02-16-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't like the Krank Jr's that much.

Does the Bugera come in a head?

CullenT
02-16-2010, 07:51 PM
^No, combo only for the V22

Blackstar HT-5 is pretty versatile, as is the JCA20H. Egnator Rebel 20, Vox Night Train, Blackheart Little Giant or Handsome Devil, and Orange Tiny Terror are all great suggestions.

Choose your love wisely.

CrackTheSkye
02-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Which is the best for the price?

Cathbard
02-16-2010, 10:31 PM
He asked for a tube amp, a HT-5 is a hybrid.

oldironhead
02-16-2010, 10:37 PM
How about a Peavey Valve King Royal 8? New, they run about $200. It isn't a fancy amp, but has good sound, especially for its size and (low) wattage. Plug into one at your music store and give it a try. I think you might be pleasantly surprised with what you will hear.

thenextkirk92
02-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Tiny Terror.

MetalCrusher
02-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Line 6 Spider?

I'mronburgundy?
02-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Jet City. Or Vox Night Train. Or Bugera V22. Or Marshall 18w Clone if you have that much cash.

CullenT
02-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Line 6 Spider?

:facepalm:

just ugh. New people.

ninjab
02-16-2010, 11:39 PM
How about a Peavey Valve King Royal 8? New, they run about $200. It isn't a fancy amp, but has good sound, especially for its size and (low) wattage. Plug into one at your music store and give it a try. I think you might be pleasantly surprised with what you will hear.

my brother picked this up when it was on sale for $80, I would not touch it, it sounds terrible. Cleans are maybe ok, but the built in overdrive is just atrocious, and using a distortion pedal it sounds bad as well. My HT-5 sounds worlds better than it, I'd even take a solid state valvetronix or something over it.

ext1jdh
02-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Line 6 Spider?
Dude you're shilling this thing like you're getting a paycheck, what gives? I've played through one of these things, an to be entirely honest, ive had bowel movements that sound better.

I have a BH handsome devil and can't recommend this (or other low watt Blackhearts) for metal. They're excellent for blues and hard rock but metal is a stretch without a great pedal in front of it.

Cathbard
02-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Maybe a Marshall Class 5?

gregs1020
02-17-2010, 12:22 AM

do you have this pedal?
have you checked craigslist?
anyway to increase the budget?

311ZOSOVHJH
02-17-2010, 12:30 AM
I will probably be looking towards a low watt tube amp in the future depending on if I can sell current gears and come up with funds. Anyway what do you think is the best low watt tube amp on the market right now. Keeping Tone, Versatility, Reliability in mind as you suggest the amp.

Thanks

metal, 20 watts, and low budget don't always go together. Especially for a head AND cab.

Why 20 watts?

Greg has some good questions. Also, what kind of metal and what is your closest major city. Is the $350 just for the head. You could probably find a used Peavey XXX or Ultra with your budget but it will be a combo.

Gibson V
02-17-2010, 12:35 AM
He asked for a tube amp, a HT-5 is a hybrid.
Whats it matter if its not competely tube or not? If it sounds good to his ears thats all that matters.

And yes I would recommend the HT-5, it has a lot of features that other amps in the same category don't.

311ZOSOVHJH
02-17-2010, 12:39 AM
I thought the HT-5 was pretty cool. You could get some thrash tones out of it. Not sure I'd buy one.

Cathbard
02-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Whats it matter if its not competely tube or not? If it sounds good to his ears thats all that matters.

And yes I would recommend the HT-5, it has a lot of features that other amps in the same category don't.
Except that he asked for a tube amp. That's what matters. If I ask for a pork sandwich and I'm handed a beef one it doesn't matter that it's nice beef, i asked for pork.

AcousticMirror
02-17-2010, 02:31 AM
:golfclap:

ninjab
02-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Except that he asked for a tube amp. That's what matters. If I ask for a pork sandwich and I'm handed a beef one it doesn't matter that it's nice beef, i asked for pork.

a blackstar engineer insists that all the distortion clipping is done by the tubes on the HT5(the response is posted somewhere in the ht5 thread I believe), sure it has transistors, but many "tube" amps have solid state in them as well. The OP didn't ask for a "pure" tube amp, so I'm pretty sure the HT5 is an appropriate recommendation.

Lt. Shinysides
02-17-2010, 03:17 AM
a blackstar engineer insists that all the distortion clipping is done by the tubes on the HT5(the response is posted somewhere in the ht5 thread I believe), sure it has transistors, but many "tube" amps have solid state in them as well. The OP didn't ask for a "pure" tube amp, so I'm pretty sure the HT5 is an appropriate recommendation.

Solid State rectification still = full tube. the HT-5 however is more than just rectification.

TS meant full tube, you can just tell by the post.

gregs1020
02-17-2010, 03:23 AM
re-reading, a used H&K edition tube would likely fit the bill. they go for $350-400 used.

AcousticMirror
02-17-2010, 04:27 AM

I insist to girls all the time that I'm infertile and they have nothing to worry about.
What's your point.

I mean, I'll check right now if I can make it metal...what type of metal sound are you looking for TS?

The Orange AD5 might be the best low watt tube amp under 400 I've ever found and I played tt, night train, ac4tv, jca20, blackstar, all that stuff.

fly135
02-17-2010, 10:31 AM
a blackstar engineer insists that all the distortion clipping is done by the tubes on the HT5(the response is posted somewhere in the ht5 thread I believe)I've looked a a schematic and if the schematic (and my interpretation) was correct then I would say that engineer is lying. It clearly appeared to be using an op-amp with clipping diodes to get distortion.

Ubadood
02-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Marshall Class 5

oldironhead
02-17-2010, 10:54 PM
my brother picked this up when it was on sale for $80, I would not touch it, it sounds terrible. Cleans are maybe ok, but the built in overdrive is just atrocious, and using a distortion pedal it sounds bad as well. My HT-5 sounds worlds better than it, I'd even take a solid state valvetronix or something over it.
Bummer. Sounds like he might have got a hold of a bad one; that happens. I have a Royal 8 and run a PodXT and Grunge pedal through it (not at the same time). Iíve got great Clean and great OD, both, when I want it... and my neighbors havenít yet called the police (ha ha). Sorry to hear about you brotherís bad experience.

CrackTheSkye
02-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Lol I've heard the HT-5 and I do kinda like it although I would like something with a little more than 5 watts though incase I ever start gigging.

I'm looking for a lower watt tube amp because as of now I am a bedroom player and can't really crank an amp. Don't want to piss off the parents or the neighbors.

Largest major city is Lexington KY, Knoxville TN, may also could do Louisville KY. Possibly Nashville TN if they'd be willing to meet halfway. I really love high gain tube amps as well as a nice british sound ala ac/dc, zeppelin, etc.. The heaviest music I would be playing would probably be Killswitch Engage or Lamb of God or something along those lines. Also music like Baroness, The Sword, Mastodon. But mostly I play classic rock type music and just dabble in metal every now and again. I have my phases :haha:

i might could do more than $350 but would really like to keep it around there. This would be just for a head.

Hopefully I answered/provided everything lol

ch0
02-18-2010, 12:00 AM
He asked for a tube amp, a HT-5 is a hybrid. It's got some transistors in it, so does a JCM800. The HT-5 is a tube amp.

Tedward
02-18-2010, 01:15 AM
Unmentioned amps so far: Jet city Picovalve (5 watts), Blackheart Little Giant and Handsome Devil (5 and 15 ?)

EDIT: ^ apparently the HT-5 has no power tubes

guitargod5
02-18-2010, 01:31 AM
I really like my super champ XD.

Lt. Shinysides
02-18-2010, 01:33 AM

features are not at all important. Sound is important.

Who the hell cares about built in features on an amp, anything you need done can be done BETTER with a stand alone pedal.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/8/2/9/5/829514/pics/_c781592_image_0.jpg

that's my amp's control panel, it doesn't need features.

Alekseriator
02-18-2010, 04:40 AM
hey im not sure if it helps but what you think about vox valvetronix against blackstar ht 5???

TheBrownPenguin
02-18-2010, 05:21 AM
I would honestly recommend the Tiny Terror. I bought one new off ebay for $420 so Im sure you could find one in your budget if you were patient. Its perfect for classic rock. With the gain all the way up and the OD808 set to a slight overdrive it also gets a smooth metal sound. I wish I had a recording device or else I would post some sound clips or a video to show you what I mean

rocknroll93
02-18-2010, 05:53 AM
vox nightrain

Cathbard
02-18-2010, 06:38 AM
It's got some transistors in it, so does a JCM800. The HT-5 is a tube amp.The JCM800 uses op-amps to adjust some levels but they sit inside an otherwise straight tube amp.
The Ht-5 only has 1W tubes in it and produces 5W - because the power amp is not tube, it's SS. THAT makes it a hybrid, not just the presence of a few transistors here and there - the amp that drives the speakers is SS. If it's a tube amp then so is a Marshall AVT.
I have nothing against the HT-5 as an amp but ffs stop calling it a tube amp people.

Mybleedinglung8
02-18-2010, 08:29 AM
i'd suggest the 18 watt randall module head, though probably over budget, egnater rebel sounds sweet to me.

fly135
02-18-2010, 01:03 PM
The Ht-5 only has 1W tubes in it and produces 5W - because the power amp is not tube, it's SS. THAT makes it a hybrid, not just the presence of a few transistors here and there - the amp that drives the speakers is SS. If it's a tube amp then so is a Marshall AVT.
I have nothing against the HT-5 as an amp but ffs stop calling it a tube amp people.I've looked at the schematic and what you are saying is not true. The power tube is running class A/B with only a transformer between it and the speaker. The 12BH7 is speced at 3 watts in class A mode. So 5 watts in A/B is no stretch.

HotRodCarts
02-18-2010, 01:22 PM
I really like my super champ XD.

I've got 3 Super Champ XD's and they are great amps. :D

fly135
02-18-2010, 01:27 PM
I've got 3 Super Champ XD's and they are great amps. :DI've got 2 SCXD's and wouldn't buy the HT-5 over the SCXD even if the HT-5 wasn't $200 more expensive.

MaxStatic
02-18-2010, 01:44 PM
I've looked at the schematic and what you are saying is not true.

^this

It has two tubes, one power 12BH7 and one pre ECC83(12AX7). Being that this thing only has like two diodes for clipping I'm more comfortable calling an HT-5 a tube amp than my Marshall TSL. Seems to be the consensus is that the majority of the clipping diodes in the HT-5 are for protection vs generating distortion so yea, what that guy said.

Gibson V
02-18-2010, 03:44 PM
features are not at all important. Sound is important.

Who the hell cares about built in features on an amp, anything you need done can be done BETTER with a stand alone pedal.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/8/2/9/5/829514/pics/_c781592_image_0.jpg

that's my amp's control panel, it doesn't need features.
Well of course sound is most important, but some of us like things like FX loops and footswitches. Sure pedals can do things better, but why spend more money on pedals when I can buy an amp that already has those features? My point being that I can buy an amp that sounds good with out having to worry about spending more money.

gregs1020
02-19-2010, 02:05 AM
TS, tube hybrid or not, the vox vt amps are good amps. try one.

ignore the ht5 rants. i had one, it was a decent amp. it just lacked low end imo.

311ZOSOVHJH
02-19-2010, 02:10 AM
+3 on teh SuperChamp

I have gas for one

great value too

Jammy Pige
02-21-2010, 02:11 PM
You asked for a head preferably, but I've got my SCXD hooked up to an extension cab and it sounds amazing. I even hook up to 412 sometimes and no problems.

Plenty of low end for blues and hard rock, but maybe use some pedals for metal. I see them on Craigslist for $225-50 sometimes, and once again they are $300 out the door with 10% off coupon at GC. Hope they stay at that price...