Modern Day Blues-Rock Bands/Artists

PDA

View Full Version : Modern Day Blues-Rock Bands/Artists

TheWho2
02-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Can anyone suggest some modern day blues rock bands/artists that are like Eric Clapton, Joe Bonamassa, buddy guy, the black keys, Davy Knowles & back door slam, etc....

guitarsftw
02-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Derek Trucks

WhiteNoyz
02-16-2010, 11:04 PM
check out Ronnie Baker Brooks... he's a blues guitarist from Chicago, I saw him when he opened for B.B. King and he put on a great show, very similar to Buddy Guy

edit... also Robert Randolph and the Family Band

TheWho2
02-18-2010, 12:50 AM
WOW! Ronnie Baker Brooks is awesome! Anyone know of anyone else like him?
So far I discovered:
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club(which they are OK)
Jet(OK)
Radio Moscow(Good)
The Black Keys(Pretty Good)
North Mississippi Allstars(OK)

justinkh
02-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Listen to the White Stripes, on their earlier work. They still retain an element of the blues on their newer album, but the earliers stuff was where you saw the most influence. Jack White of the White Stripes was influenced heavily by bluesman such as Son House, and he covers many great blues songs. If I had to suggest one song, I'd say look up "Death Letter" live on youtube. It's a cover of a Son House song, and he does an amazing job of it.

TheWho2
02-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Yeah I listened to the white stripes their ok

TNfootballfan62
02-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Gov't Mule, Derek Trucks Band

Mr.Cuddles
02-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Eric Sardinas.

zachm07
02-23-2010, 09:06 PM
WOW! Ronnie Baker Brooks is awesome! Anyone know of anyone else like him?
So far I discovered:
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club(which they are OK)
Jet(OK)
Radio Moscow(Good)
The Black Keys(Pretty Good)
North Mississippi Allstars(OK)
the black keys just pretty good?!?!?!?!?!? are you mad?

TheWho2
02-23-2010, 10:47 PM
the black keys just pretty good?!?!?!?!?!? are you mad?

'Pretty Good' is well.... pretty good in my book. If that makes sense.

Their not really the artist/band I'm looking for even though more than a quarter of my playlist is the black keys and radio Moscow now.

I still want to find a person(s) like Eric Clapton and Buddy Guy. Besides Joe Bonamassa, Ronnie Baker Brooks, Davy Knowles and I guess John Mayer( :rolleyes: )

Kartman
02-24-2010, 02:59 AM
Srsly, John Mayer Trio.

http://pixelbrained.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/flameshield.jpg

ECistheBest
02-24-2010, 03:25 AM
yeah john mayer got some real good blues. how bout kenny wayne shepherd, saw him live, blew me away. and some black crowes too! awesome blues based rock band. :)

Zoot Allures
02-24-2010, 11:39 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/8wz7uq.jpg

JilaX^
02-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Jeff Beck. :cool:

Jerbilio
02-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Search for "the legendary tigerman"...Portuguese modern blues musician

master2sexy
02-24-2010, 08:57 PM
The Raconteurs, better and bluesier than the white stripes, IMO, especially the consolers of the lonely album

baber27
02-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Definitely check out some Indigenous... and Jonny lang of course

Blind In 1 Ear
02-25-2010, 01:02 AM
philip sayce is a monster player. his songs are more rock type stuff, but he's got blues roots for sure. he played with jeff healey for a while. which reminds me, give jeff healey a listen if you havent already.

also maybe sonny landreth. hes a slide player but not like an every day slide player.

Altitudinous
02-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Srsly, John Mayer Trio.

flameshieldguy

I AGREE. John Mayer is in my opinion the best bluesman under 40. Amazing stuff. the Where The Light Is trio set is their best i think.

carmour
02-25-2010, 07:01 PM
I AGREE. John Mayer is in my opinion the best bluesman under 40. Amazing stuff. the Where The Light Is trio set is their best i think.

LOL.

Altitudinous
02-25-2010, 07:47 PM
LOL.

Yeah? Who's better? I couldn't help but notice you didn't include anyone who's better. I also said in my opinion, so thanks for laughing at my opinion.
asshole.

TheWho2
02-25-2010, 10:23 PM
I tried john Mayer I just don't like him, something about his voice. His playing is pretty good though.

And to the guy who said "Jeff Beck" I already know him, huge fan, I went to see him and eric clapton play last week, hes amazing!

Thanks for more suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

carmour
02-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah? Who's better? I couldn't help but notice you didn't include anyone who's better. I also said in my opinion, so thanks for laughing at my opinion.
asshole.

Who says you can't laugh at someones opinion? It happens to be my opinion that your opions full of shit :haha:

Sean Costello was definitely better, sadly passed away in 08. Knew how to play all kinds of blues and blues related music like blues rock, jazz, rnb, soul etc

John Mayer's blues draws on too few influences too heavily to be named best bluesman under 40.

Sean's first album (made when he was 16 - Call The Cops) is much better than ANYTHING JM's done blueswise

Oh.. and he actually has a good blues voice

TNfootballfan62
02-25-2010, 11:52 PM
My favorite bluesman under 40 is probably Derek Trucks. Maybe Dan Auerbach. Warren Haynes is a little older than 40, I think, but he's up there, too.

But, let's all remember that opinions are like assholes. We all have one, and they all stink. :)

Kartman
02-26-2010, 02:00 AM
My favorite bluesman under 40 is probably Derek Trucks. Maybe Dan Auerbach. Warren Haynes is a little older than 40, I think, but he's up there, too.

But, let's all remember that opinions are like assholes. We all have one, and they all stink. :)
That's a seriously gross metaphor :)

TNfootballfan62
02-26-2010, 02:02 AM
I know, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to use it, though. :haha

JilaX^
02-26-2010, 02:47 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Carmour is very right on Sean, killed John on everything from soul and RnB to Blues, vocals and guitar-wise.

Derek Trucks kills him.

Borny, Joe Bonamassa, Rusty Zinn.

Kid Andersen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_aVcDFzbJA

Listen to the solo here. :haha:
John Mayer is decent, but Blues playing really isn't his strongest suit.

carmour
02-26-2010, 04:03 AM
borny <3

kid andersens a beast too, rick estrin cracks me up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAhFSzqdygc&feature=related

JilaX^
02-26-2010, 04:09 AM
Borny is a really cool guy, known him for a while. :D

I've borrowed that DVD, it's laying around my house atm.
I've watched it twice and I don't even play harp. :haha:

Kid Andersen used to play with my cousin, btw.
Seen some excellent bootlegs with them playing with one of Muddy's kids.

Got some terrific stories about Kid, too.
Like once when they were touring in Russia. He got drunk early. Really, early.
So after the soundcheck he did the most rational thing, falling asleep. Inside the piano. :haha:
When the gig started they decided to just play, with him still inside. He wakes up, panics. Hurries out on the stage and starts playing. Crowd went nuts. He was like, combing and drinking coffee between the songs. They thought it was a gimmick. :haha:

JustRooster
03-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Listen to all the "Drive By Truckers" you can.

21wickwing
03-23-2010, 04:46 PM
In the style of the black keys: Blackwater Fever, The Fumes

Also try Moreland & Arbuckle.

F-Hole
03-23-2010, 05:04 PM
I don't think that anyone has mentioned Ronnie Earl yet. His playing is amazing.

...Sean Costello was definitely better, sadly passed away in 08. Knew how to play all kinds of blues and blues related music like blues rock, jazz, rnb, soul etc

...Sean's first album (made when he was 16 - Call The Cops) is much better than ANYTHING JM's done blueswise

Oh.. and he actually has a good blues voice

+1

I live in the town that Sean was from, Atlanta. His death was a major loss for the music scene here. I kick myself because I never saw him play, darn it. I thought he'd be around a long time.

...Warren Haynes is a little older than 40, I think, but he's up there, too.

Actually Warren will be turning 50 in a couple of weeks.

acoustic-rob
03-26-2010, 07:00 PM
U Checked out matt schofield? His heads tails and aces album is pretty sweet :)?

Gray Ghost
05-26-2012, 12:56 AM
'Pretty Good' is well.... pretty good in my book. If that makes sense.

Their not really the artist/band I'm looking for even though more than a quarter of my playlist is the black keys and radio Moscow now.

I still want to find a person(s) like Eric Clapton and Buddy Guy. Besides Joe Bonamassa, Ronnie Baker Brooks, Davy Knowles and I guess John Mayer( :rolleyes: )
There are some great ijntivators that have brought Blues to the modern era such as Elvin Bishop, Johnny Winter, Paul Butterfield, John Mayall, George Thourghgood, and if you look at the first dozen albums of the Rolling Stones they remade all the songs from all the blues greats.

Showiddlydiddly
05-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Can't be bothered to read through to see if anyone has mentioned them, but Led Zeppelin have some boody brilliant blues stuff. Especially the covers.

Paraffinity
05-26-2012, 11:08 AM
The Black Keys and White Stripes are the most obvious one I guess...

****ing loved The Dead Weather's albums too...

Other favorites are Hanni El Khatib
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmfy_5nAH_U&feature=relmfu

Chris Whitley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v2OEGalgw8&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLWppqfDA0j-ZXzAUc_qlPDQ

C.W Stoneking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr13I6Wihmw

Hat Fitz (This is brilliant xD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ9zXSFsjI4

Check out Brownbird Rudy Relic, Seasick Steve and some Band Of Skulls.

Jazz Funeral
05-26-2012, 12:09 PM
I was gonna leave this thread alone, as I see it's been necrobumped, but after seeing Chris Whitley being mentioned above I have to post this.

Chris Whitley - Phone Call From Leavenworth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd_eCW8TuPU)

DrewMeyer
05-26-2012, 06:43 PM
LOL.
You, my friend, are indeed ignorant and ultimately a fool. Why does everyone feel the need to jump on the John Mayer hater band wagon and go and insult him in every thread anyone brings him up in?

TNfootballfan62
05-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Buddy, that was years ago. Check the post dates.

jdsmith0405
06-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Tom Hollister Trio
Vintage Trouble

wolflen
06-28-2012, 01:19 PM
You, my friend, are indeed ignorant and ultimately a fool. Why does everyone feel the need to jump on the John Mayer hater band wagon and go and insult him in every thread anyone brings him up in?

how i see it: as related to blues players..he is not a blues player..he is a pop singer/ guitarist that plays some blues licks at best..its not a put down..he just gets categorized as a blues player when he is not..today eric clapton would be considered more of a blues flavored singer than a guitarist..and that is not a put down..just where he is today..he could be a blues guitarist full time if he wanted..but he already did that many times over..(john mayall, cream etc)

my standard for blues starts with muddy waters, howlin wolf, otis span and the chicago "sound" buddy guy carries that sound today .. in terms of modern blues players, the late albert king tops my list..but michael bloomfield still remains one of the influencial and relatively underrated players .. his life ended too soon due to drugs..lucky for us eric clapton turned his life around in time..

play well

wolf

carmour
06-29-2012, 01:20 AM

Buddy, that was years ago. Check the post dates.

It's alright man, it's not like my opinion has changed. I still am strongly opposed to this sort of drivel "John Mayer is in my opinion the best bluesman under 40."

@ DrewMeyer: Call me an ignorant fool all you want but I doubt it very much that you had even heard of Sean Costello before he was mentioned in this thread.

The fact of the matter is I am not hating John Mayer, or insulting him in every thread he is brought up in. I just have a contention with the idea that he is infact a blues artist, let alone a good one. Don't get me wrong, he is a good guitarist and I really like his playing in the right context, but he is ultimately a pop player with rnb/soul and blues influences. He is probably a nice guy (although he seems to have somewhat of a personality crises every 3 years or so where he needs to reinvent himself), but all the fanbois on the internet hug his nuts so damn hard claiming he's the next blues messiah.

Let me clear it up for you. This point of view clearly comes from an ignorant and very un-informed opinion of blues as a genre. John Mayer's blues roots are about as deep as a twilight novel. To try and claim that he is the best guy out there at the moment is ridiculously insulting to all the people busting there ass out there gigging and recording who have paid there dues learning the tradition and style of the blues and giving it its due respect.

I'll summarise for you. John mayer is not the best blues guitarist of our generation. He is a pop musician who is widely known as a guitarist who SOMETIMES plays the blues. He has media coverage and a huge world-wide image, thus retards who know nothing about the genre flock to him in droves making all these bullshit claims.

Real blues players dedicate their life to the stuff man, not play 2-3 blues songs on one album 5 ****ing years ago. Jesus christ. Get your shit straight.

DLGuitars
06-29-2012, 05:11 AM
Check out Tyler Bryant and the Shakedown!!!!! Seriously amazing music and he is so young!

DLGuitars
06-29-2012, 05:15 AM
@carmour

Now I'm a big JM fan and, though I disagree with you, I respect and understand your opinion.

But you gotta admit that anybody who can get a bunch of young people in this generation to learn all the words and sing along to Bold as Love has got something going for him and is a light in this dark musical world of sh*tty rap and hip-hop and whatever the heck that Ke$ha person is supposed to be lol

MICKEYSTAVER
06-30-2012, 01:44 AM
The Buffalo KIllers.... Nuff said.

Spanner93
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Radio Moscow

HoneyboyHart
07-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Well I see this is about Blues Rock which is my least favorite blues but if anyone wants to go beyond that limitation I second Ronnie Earl. You should check him out on YouTube. Look for T-Bone Boogie and you'll hear one of the most amazing jump blues leads of all time.

Not sure if I can post the video but I'll try...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a3-_gbg7Ho

Rick Honeyboy Hart
http://www.bluesguitarinsider.com

ColdGin
07-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Eric Steckel

Lil Dave Thompson

Catl

StevenMikel
07-26-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm not a much of a John Mayer fan but,he is a very good guitarist and he's more than just pop singer that plays a few blues licks,he can play.Jeff Beck said that John Mayer is the next/new Eric Clapton and Eric Clapton has had John Mayer play at 2 of his Crossroads Festivals.

Sam Hain
07-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Did I miss it? Anyone mention Gary Clark Jr? At 28 he has more style and soul than any other of the newer blues crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ZeDn-hHGE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jazz Funeral
07-28-2012, 11:26 AM
^ Got his EP, and I'm looking forward to a full length release. The guy is good.

Also, "Bright Lights, Big City" is featured in Max Payne 3. I thought that was pretty cool.

ColdGin
07-30-2012, 02:01 AM
Did I miss it? Anyone mention Gary Clark Jr? At 28 he has more style and soul than any other of the newer blues crew.

He reminds me a lot of Lucky Peterson. Perhaps with a darker side.

ColdGin
07-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Jeff Beck said that John Mayer is the next/new Eric Clapton.
Incidentally, "The next Eric Clapton ?" is a pun tht the english press came up with in the 1960s, every time the Yardbirds or John Mayall brought in a new guitarist. The question was asked then about Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Mike Taylor, Peter Green, Harvey Mandel, Walter Trout, Coco Montoya, Buddy Whittington....

The one guitarist that I do find to sound closest to EC is Bernie Marsden, of the Whitesnake Mk. I lineup.

carmour
07-31-2012, 01:02 PM
check out Kid Andersen, Rick Estrin & The Nightcats & Sean Costello for modern blues

HoneyboyHart
08-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Check out Damon Fowler...

http://www.bluesguitarinsider.com/blues-guitarists/damon-fowler-great-young-blues-guitarist

Millercaster
09-22-2012, 01:56 PM
A smaller band out of Chicago, yet still amazing to check out is The Steepwater Band. I have a few of their albums, and they're very committed to the classic delta/Chicago style

Buggboy
09-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Derek Trucks is one of the best guitarists out there at the moment (not just for blues - whatever style, whatever age that guy is a genius - played a couple of tours with Clapton I think....). But a lot of people find the Dereck Trucks band a bit too Jazzy/tame.....

Problem is that most Blues/Rock bands now sound like they are trying to emulate the past rather than add something new to it. There's some notable exceptions though....

sjones
09-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Problem is that most Blues/Rock bands now sound like they are trying to emulate the past rather than add something new to it. There's some notable exceptions though....

Food for thought:

Do you think that could be because a good portion of the Blues community is somewhat stuck in the past and a bit reluctant to embrace some of the newer artists out there?

Granted, I guess I'm sort of an "outsider" of sorts to the blues community even though I do appreciate and like a decent amount of blues music. That being said, there's a fairly good blues presence in my area's music landscape and from talking and observing the folks involved in that local community, it seems they write off or at the very least undervalue some of the very talented newer acts that are adding their own variation to the genre. However, when it comes to the more "traditional" blues acts, they splooge all over the place for them.

I'm not sure if what I'm getting at here is an epidemic that's plaguing the whole blues community, but it's just a thought that popped in my head when I read your post.

Buggboy
09-26-2012, 09:23 AM
SJ - I think there's definitely something in that train of thought. I used to play in a band that had a fairly large blues element and there was quite a lot of snobbery at a lot of the venues we played....it's almost like unless you grew up singing the blues on a plantation field, you can't "get it"....and if you try and add elements of other styles, it somehow becomes less valid....

Then a lot of the same people with that view complain how there's no good new music out there...surely it's a good thing for musicians to dare to be different and try new things out?

Anyway, back to the thread! There's a few of interesting artists around in the UK scene at the moment
who have a cool take on the blues worth checking out IMHO

Burning Condors remind me a bit of the Libertines playing blues - pretty awesome guitarist too. I think they have a bit of a following in the US.

Hijak Oscar are another - a bit more gothic lyrically and more "traditional" in a way.

Although not blues/rock, I also like the rootsy feel to Jake Bugg's tracks - good to see a young guy playing that kind of music getting a lot of attention (this side of the pond at least!).