Looking for some good punk bands

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some good punk bands

metalhead39
02-17-2010, 07:18 PM
I haven't gotten into alot of new punk in a while, so I'm asking what are some of your favorite punk bands out there?

I'm looking for something with a similar sound to Bad Religion, NOFX and Pennywise

IROn 5L1nKY
02-17-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm really not sure what those bands sound like, but you should check out a band called Cartel, they're pretty tight, if a bit tamed when it comes to punk.

werty22
02-17-2010, 07:26 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934843

Bair
02-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Propagandhi...Canadian pride:)

Bair
02-17-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm really not sure what those bands sound like, but you should check out a band called Cartel, they're pretty tight, if a bit tamed when it comes to punk.
Cartel is emo...pop punk is a stretch

alkalineweeman
02-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Going by those bands i'd try some Fifteen, None More Black, The Lawrence Arms, The Broadways..
All i can think of off the top of my head and none perticularly new but good bands that sorta fall into that range.

alkalineweeman
02-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Propagandhi...Canadian pride:)
Damn i knew i was forgeting someone really important, though if he wants bands similar to the 3 he mentioned i'd stick with Propagandhis 1st two albums... maybe Todays Empires, Tomorrows Ashes aswell.

Bair
02-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Damn i knew i was forgeting someone really important, though if he wants bands similar to the 3 he mentioned i'd stick with Propagandhis 1st two albums... maybe Todays Empires, Tomorrows Ashes aswell.
Agreed.

I Dont Belong
02-18-2010, 03:45 AM
All Propagandhi is good the newer stuff is heavier if you like that. Supporting Caste was sick! The new album from Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine was pretty good. Lagwagon is good too.

lookpizza
02-18-2010, 04:30 AM
Cartel is emo...pop punk is a stretch

I thought Rites of Spring and Fugazi were emo. Boy was I off...

askingforit176
02-18-2010, 10:25 AM
I guess I was too with Dag Nasty and Texas is the Reason.
Also I would like to advise the thread starter to ignore any previously suggested bands minus Stiff Little Fingers, Lagwagon, Propaghandi, and lookpizza's and my own confusion of Emo bands. If your just starting to check out punk. I'd
Say Ramones, Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Original Misfits, Dead Kennedys Social Distortion Minor Threat and the Dead Boys. Just to get you started

axeslash
02-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Dag Nasty is too good to be emo.

>:(

askingforit176
02-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Well I love them one of my favorite bands but they are an emo band, but emo as in the real (good kind) not the MTV kind.

lookpizza
02-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Dag Nasty is too good to be emo.

>:(

Real emo IS good.

TYLENOL.PM
02-18-2010, 04:08 PM
What the fuck are we talking about?

VirtualBramm
02-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Latterman!!!!!!
The Dopamines!

askingforit176
02-18-2010, 06:02 PM
I agree with lookpizza and we are discussing currently, the good and evil emo lol. By the way I heard Darth Vader is going to front from first to last. Damn evil emo...

TYLENOL.PM
02-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Get this pop punk and emo shit to the failed forum directly under this one.

MouseMouse
02-19-2010, 04:37 AM
Spreading Evictions!!!!
They are my new personal favorite!!!!!

askingforit176
02-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Aren't we all high and mighty about the placement of threads. I'm pretty sure you are the only one who would have a problem with Dag Nasty, Rites of Spring, Fugazi and Texas is the Reason being discussed in the punk forum. If you don't enjoy it go to the other threads and shut your mouth

lookpizza
02-19-2010, 04:34 PM
But then you wouldn't be allowed to join in cause you're not allowed there.

askingforit176
02-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Idk if you wanna talk to him like that man, he seems like he may be the punk police. He makes sure everyone it tr00 ponx. Hey P.M., I don't have a mohawk or patches on my jacket, do I get a ticket or get damned to the "failed forum below this one"?

TYLENOL.PM
02-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Idk if you wanna talk to him like that man, he seems like he may be the punk police. He makes sure everyone it tr00 ponx. Hey P.M., I don't have a mohawk or patches on my jacket, do I get a ticket or get damned to the "failed forum below this one"?

No. You're just a bitch.

LonelyStarts
02-19-2010, 09:36 PM

HAHA!! You got called a bitch by Fat Mike's son!@

EDIT: Other son or daughter.

TYLENOL.PM
02-19-2010, 09:42 PM
HAHA!! You got called a bitch by Fat Mike's son!@

EDIT: Other son or daughter.

Either son or daughter you mean?

xUptoNoGoodx
02-19-2010, 09:45 PM

No ticket.

You go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200

He IS the punk police.

TYLENOL.PM
02-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Its okay. He's learning.

askingforit176
02-19-2010, 09:46 PM
No. You're just a bitch.
That's hilarious. Honestly it is.
Then again I probably shouldn't say that to the p0nk police....

But seeing as your new 'round these parts, talk shit isn't usually a good for anyone Let alone When your new, and about bands that ARE accepted here and are generally praised. Just some advice.

TYLENOL.PM
02-19-2010, 09:47 PM
That's hilarious. Honestly it is.
Then again I probably shouldn't say that to the p0nk police....

But seeing as your new 'round these parts, talk shit isn't usually a good for anyone Let alone When your new, and about bands that ARE accepted here and are generally praised. Just some advice.

You my friend are adorable.

xUptoNoGoodx
02-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah TYLENOL.PM, you newfag.

askingforit, you sure showed him.

askingforit176
02-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Hey I'm not showing anyone anything. Just saying an opinion. I coulda be a dick and reported him but I can see why he isn't allowed in the pop-punk forum.

And uptonogood between your rancid comments and the mcr one, I can't take you seriously.

xUptoNoGoodx
02-19-2010, 09:55 PM
wat

TYLENOL.PM
02-19-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't think anyone here takes you seriously brah.

Referring to askingforit

xUptoNoGoodx
02-19-2010, 09:58 PM
I do not recall saying anything about MCR, and what about Rancid comments makes it so you can't take me seriously?

askingforit176
02-19-2010, 10:53 PM
I do not recall saying anything about MCR, and what about Rancid comments makes it so you can't take me seriously?
Wasn't it you that said mcr's last album was your favorite punk album? ( I could be thinking of the wrong person happens every so often. If I am then I appologize).

Now P.M. I'm done joking around like I was with the punk police, and I'm done trying to reason with you like I was before. You've been reported.
If you can't take the sarcasm and joking that happens all the time in this forum (via. The punk police) then don't post here, or at least don't cry about it.
Two: emo is a sub-genre of punk (at least the "real" kind like we were discussing). Get over it.
Three: if you don't know the bands don't say anything. If you had listened to Dag Nasty, Fugazi, Rites of Spring or Texas is the Reason. You'd realize how stupid you sounded by demanding it be moved to the "shitty failure of a forum below this one"
And finally uptonogood. Don't defend your friend when he's being ignorant. It makes you look bad too.
Have a nice day kiddies!

xUptoNoGoodx
02-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Hmmm. It was a different person. In fact MCR is one band i cannot ****ing stand, and there's only a few of those. Before you try to call people out, do a little bit of research.

And it seems that you my friend can't take PM's joking and sarcasm, so you reporting him like a whinny little bitch makes you look bad, and hypocritical.

So you my friend, are in fact a bitch.

End of discussion.

TMF128
02-19-2010, 11:29 PM
GUTTERMOUTH

Awesome band.

I recommend you purchase or illegally download the album "Musical Monkey"

LonelyStarts
02-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Either son or daughter you mean?

I smart.

askingforit176

Who is this trick whinning and bitching. You obviously doesn't get that were the one's joking and taking everything up the ass.

Go back to the Pit you don't belong here.
This for the "PUNK POLICE"

I didn't know there was such a person.

You my friend, are a bitch..
Ass

Thank you for your time and wasting yours.
Oh and by the way MCR is the best band... ever.. :p: Does this mean I'm a fag?

TYLENOL.PM
02-19-2010, 11:45 PM
You obviously doesn't get that were the one's joking and taking everything up the ass.

100% of your posts don't make sense. But we do take it up the ass you're right about that.

Now P.M. I'm done joking around like I was with the punk police, and I'm done trying to reason with you like I was before. You've been reported.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I'm a bitch

You just got called a bitch by three different people. I think its safe to say that you my friend, are a certified bitch.

LonelyStarts
02-20-2010, 12:05 AM
100% of your posts don't make sense. But we do take it up the ass you're right about that.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! SHIT. Oh man.. HAahahahaha. I'm ****ing dying over here. Fucck.

You just got called a bitch by three different people. I think its safe to say that you my friend, are a certified bitch.

Win..

Against Him?
02-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Honestly guttermouth has one good song. ive seen them live at least twice.

the original "emo" bands were and offshoot of dc hardcore.

According to the standard rules of this thread bands like green day aren't tru p0nx.
considering that their earlier commercial albums are straight punk music in the style of the ramones the only reason for this is their status as sellouts.

Therefore: Devotion to the scene > musical character.

I can only end this by saying that my last statement gives full creditability to bands like fugazi and rigtes of spring.
And no creditability to MCR

LonelyStarts
02-20-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm going to need more ticket's. ;)

TYLENOL.PM
02-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Okay do you need them tonight or tomorrow?

TYLENOL.PM
02-20-2010, 12:26 AM
And whos coming?

xUptoNoGoodx
02-20-2010, 01:11 AM

Ha.

askingforit176
02-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Tylenol you just, with what you said to lonelystarts, just redeemed yourself in my book for the most part.
But I do beg to differ about the bitch part I'm just easily irritated by comments like the about the pop-punk and emo forum.

But in all seriousness check out Dag Nasty, particularly the album "Can I Say?" good shit right there.

And no lonelystarts, it does not make you a "fag" it makes you ignorant for throwing around that word as an insult and the fact that you consider them a punk band leaves me stunned. Besides Let's face the facts here, they are not a very good band.
And finally uptonogood, I'm not going to continue to argue with you nor after four+ years of being on this website without reporting a single soul, I'm spareing you, for cuz I already tarnished my record. Plus I understand why tylenol was arguing, but I don't quite understand why you did. So I'm not arguin with ya.

Out for the night, and possibly the weekend

LonelyStarts
02-20-2010, 05:51 AM
Tylenol you just, with what you said to lonelystarts, just redeemed yourself in my book for the most part.
But I do beg to differ about the bitch part I'm just easily irritated by comments like the about the pop-punk and emo forum.

But in all seriousness check out Dag Nasty, particularly the album "Can I Say?" good shit right there.

And no lonelystarts, it does not make you a "fag" it makes you ignorant for throwing around that word as an insult and the fact that you consider them a punk band leaves me stunned. Besides Let's face the facts here, they are not a very good band.
And finally uptonogood, I'm not going to continue to argue with you nor after four+ years of being on this website without reporting a single soul, I'm spareing you, for cuz I already tarnished my record. Plus I understand why tylenol was arguing, but I don't quite understand why you did. So I'm not arguin with ya.

Out for the night, and possibly the weekend

Don't try to kiss ass. And you thought I was serious about MCR.. Ha.

And UptoNoGood is my lover, that's why he argues with you. Plus we just don't like you because you are a cutie and need to put your peepee in Tylenols bumbum.

And I don't think no one cares that you have been here for 4 years.
http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/3377/original/super-cool-story-bro.png?1244744947

lookpizza
02-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Goddamnit Jason stop being a newfag.

TYLENOL.PM
02-21-2010, 08:01 PM

You really mean it?

SuperBlob
02-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Wow, this place has really gone to shit.

I mean, it was alright when it was JUST VodkaPunk and his various other identities, but I mean Jesus ****ing Christ. This isn't even close to being funny, it's just retarded.

TYLENOL.PM
02-21-2010, 08:14 PM
I agreegree.

LonelyStarts
02-21-2010, 10:11 PM
VodkaPunk sucked my peepee.

lookpizza
02-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Wow, this place has really gone to shit.

I mean, it was alright when it was JUST VodkaPunk and his various other identities, but I mean Jesus ****ing Christ. This isn't even close to being funny, it's just retarded.

Seriously the only good posts in this forum are SuperBlob's constant bitching about how this forum isn't good any more. I mean without him complaining over and over again about it there would be absolutely nothing good about this forum. Thank you SuperBlob for being on the ball with your whiny updates on the shit level of this forum.

TYLENOL.PM
02-22-2010, 02:57 AM
I prayed for SuperBlob to come and do this. And he did. So blame me. ;[

xUptoNoGoodx
02-22-2010, 10:34 PM
It's all your fault.

AlChron77
02-23-2010, 07:06 PM
If you're looking for 90's-style skate punk that sounds like early Bad Religion and Pennywise then you should check out Chaser and Another Damn Disappointment. Chaser's best record is Numb America and A.D.D.'s best is Hooligan.

xUptoNoGoodx
02-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Oh, by the way askingforit, Chris #2 plays bass for Anti-Flag, not Chris Head, so you might want to change that in your favorite bassists section on your profile.

Jaxter1
02-24-2010, 12:21 AM
I didn't take the time to read all of the posts because there are too many and my laptop battery is about to die but you might like Size 14, they were pretty good. I wrote an article on one album wonders once and there were some pretty good bands but I can't remember what half of them where now unfortunately.

Bair
03-04-2010, 07:57 AM
I regret even saying the word Emo now lol

lookpizza
03-04-2010, 03:53 PM
^^^ Good you should.

dynamitejack
03-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Authority zero, Anti-Flag, Reinventing Axle Rose and Eternal Cowboy by Against Me!

lessthan22fish
03-12-2010, 01:32 AM
I gotta 2nd the Authority Zero suggestion, as well as Grow Yer Own by The Supervillains and Destroy What Destroys You by Against All Authority

CentralBLVD
03-14-2010, 01:45 PM
My band! Central BLVD. http://www.myspace.com/centralblvd

lookpizza
03-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Argyle St. is better. ^^

ImAnActress
03-14-2010, 03:36 PM
My band! Central BLVD. http://www.myspace.com/centralblvd

What you should have done was call yourself 'Punk In Drublic' and been a NOFX cover band.

lookpizza
03-14-2010, 03:44 PM
I wanna join a NOFX cover band!

werty22
03-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah dontcha hate bands that sound like popular bands?

MickeyFinns
03-14-2010, 07:12 PM
*shamesless plug for bands I promote/am in*

Another Day Lost - melodic punk
ASBO Retards - street punk
The Junk - skacore
The Barracks - punk rock
The Liabilities - ska punk
Fred Westlife - ska punk

Tster
03-15-2010, 05:15 AM
Broadway Calls, check em out

PUNK_327
03-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Adolescents, aggression, black flag, circle jerks, common rider, crimpshrine, lagwagon, exploited, minor threat, operation ivy, rat pack, RKL, suicidal tendencies, wasted youth...any of these bands are pretty good punk.

Maciee
03-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Decendants.

Most the other ones have already been said.
if you're just getting into punk, try for the old school rather than the 90's stuff.

RockThe40oz
03-17-2010, 08:42 PM
^That's your answer to everything.

Maciee
03-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Its the only thing i could think of, at this time that hasnt been said already.

PUNK_327 said everything i was going to say.

But i love the Decendants. :)

werty22
03-17-2010, 11:04 PM
You can't even spell their name right.

nashawa
03-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Proper spelling isn't p0nx.

I would expect a DescendEnts fan to know that.

lookpizza
03-17-2010, 11:08 PM
I hate talking about The Descendents online because my computer puts an ugly red dotted line below it and tries to tell me I'm spelling it wrong. :mad:

Maciee
03-18-2010, 07:33 AM
thank you for all your corrections. Im not that much of a massive Fan, ther are on my ipod.

Im just trying to Expand my punk, rather than expanding artist at the moment.

lavazza
03-18-2010, 08:41 AM
I wanna join a NOFX cover band!
the one who´s recording my band at the moment has a Nofx cover band

lookpizza
03-18-2010, 02:58 PM
thank you for all your corrections. Im not that much of a massive Fan, ther are on my ipod.

Im just trying to Expand my punk, rather than expanding artist at the moment.

YOU SAID YOU LOVED THEM! :mad: You're just like my ex girlfriend :sad:

mikeskiboshski
03-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Guttermouth

and possibly the Bronx, they are a bit different.

Maciee
03-23-2010, 08:00 PM
YOU SAID YOU LOVED THEM! :mad: You're just like my ex girlfriend :sad:

I love like to one album I have. but thats it.

wait, ill not defend myself

I listen to them once a monthish, and in random playlists.
I highly enjoy the one album I have.

i dont know how to spell their name.
let alone i cant spell anything.