Best tube amp distortion pedal?

PDA

View Full Version : Best tube amp distortion pedal?

daverichards
02-19-2010, 04:53 PM
As title says,

im looking for a really nice distortion pedal for a tube....

im open too all makes/models, just not sure which one to be honest!

guitarsftw
02-19-2010, 04:57 PM
What kind of sound do you want? Budget?

MetalGuitarest
02-19-2010, 05:05 PM
digitech hardwire TL-2

JagerSlushy
02-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Ibanez Tubescreamer.
/thread.

JesusCrisp
02-19-2010, 05:13 PM
I hope you mean you want an OD pedal to boost the amp into higher gain territory and not destroy its tone with some metal distortion pedals.

AngryGoldfish
02-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Three of my favourite distortion pedals:

Wampler Triple Wreck

Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde

Xotic BB Preamp

stradivari310
02-19-2010, 05:19 PM
The Barber Dirty Bomb, Wampler Triple Wreck, and the ZVex Distortron all come to mind.

mmjohn
02-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Amt Fatal Tube Overdrive.

daverichards
02-19-2010, 05:26 PM
yes im after something to push the tubes to get the higher gain area..
i am trying to maintain the nice tone from the blackstar...

im laying mainly rock music, classic rock, just want a nice rawcus sound..

JesusCrisp
02-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Maxon OD 808

Dirk Gently
02-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Get a clean boost pedal. That will actually boost the signal getting to your preamp tubes. Tubescreamers and the like simulate the sound of an overdriven amp, but don't generally actually boost your signal (you can tweak settings and get them to sort of function as a clean boost, but a clean boost does this job better).

guitarsftw
02-19-2010, 05:29 PM

The RC Booster, AC Booster, and BB Preamp are all great if you can afford them. They're all a bit different, too.

daverichards
02-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Maxon OD 808

would this be any good,
this guy mod's pedals all day every day..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270532407654&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

imaginary.frnd
02-19-2010, 05:42 PM
get an mxr micro amp

ze monsta
02-19-2010, 05:46 PM
I liek the Lovepedal Purple Plexi :shrug: but you want to preserve your tone... So a booster or more transparent OD would be a better option.

AngryGoldfish
02-19-2010, 05:56 PM
would this be any good,
this guy mod's pedals all day every day..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270532407654&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:ITI find Boss type pedals colour your tone quite a bit. It's up to you, though.

daverichards
02-19-2010, 06:01 PM
ok then,
well for a budget of around£50..
what would you reccomend?

FOYSTA
02-19-2010, 06:10 PM
I think a digitech bad monkey might serve you well

daverichards
02-19-2010, 06:12 PM
I think a digitech bad monkey might serve you well

i see you have the blackstar dist-x pedal

would using the blackstar pedals be worth while on a blackstar amp... ?

FOYSTA
02-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Most definately dude. The ht 5 amp was based on the DIST pedal. The only reason I didn't reccomend it to you is because I think it's out of you budget

daverichards
02-19-2010, 06:23 PM
well would the pedal keep the rich tone aswell as provide a nice distorted sound...?

FOYSTA
02-19-2010, 06:26 PM
You can get almost any kind of sound out of those pedals. They are awesome. Go buy one! NAO!

daverichards
02-19-2010, 06:29 PM
i see it has the same isf control on it,
so would it give the same sort of function as i have, just BETTER?

FOYSTA
02-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Think of it almost like another amp. If that makes sense

Dave_Mc
02-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Ibanez Tubescreamer.
/thread.

yeah, no other options at all. :rolleyes:

Get a clean boost pedal. That will actually boost the signal getting to your preamp tubes. Tubescreamers and the like simulate the sound of an overdriven amp, but don't generally actually boost your signal (you can tweak settings and get them to sort of function as a clean boost, but a clean boost does this job better).

i dunno; i agree that a clean boost will do the transparent boost thing better than a TS, but TSes tighten the bass too, which can be a good thing if you're boosting the crap out of the amp.

different, then sure, i'd agree. :)

for £50... I have a biyang od8. It's very nice, and fairly versatile (has a 3-way mode switch, and has switchable chips) and definitely tubescreamery, but the reliability with a couple of my other biyang pedals (not the od) has been dodgy. Not sure if I'd recommend it or not- they sound good, when they work, kind of thing. :haha advantage guitar sells them new on ebay.

Also tempted to recommend the tonerider american overdrive- I have it on good authority that it sounds identical to a maxon od9, which itself is an ibanez ts9 (maxon made the ibanez tubescreamers), but I haven't tried it myself. I do have the tonerider analogue chorus, and it's a very nice pedal, so I see no reason why the overdrive wouldn't be nice too. dangleberry music sells them, they're £50 on the nose, with free postage.

i haven't tried that modded sd1; i'm not a major fan of boss pedals (i.e. i don't like them, as goldfish says, they mess with your tone pretty severely), but those mods, from what I hear, can improve the tone quite a lot. I'd still personally go for a pedal which didn't need to be modded, though, most likely.

daverichards
02-19-2010, 07:02 PM
yeah, no other options at all. :rolleyes:

i dunno; i agree that a clean boost will do the transparent boost thing better than a TS, but TSes tighten the bass too, which can be a good thing if you're boosting the crap out of the amp.

different, then sure, i'd agree. :)

for £50... I have a biyang od8. It's very nice, and fairly versatile (has a 3-way mode switch, and has switchable chips) and definitely tubescreamery, but the reliability with a couple of my other biyang pedals (not the od) has been dodgy. Not sure if I'd recommend it or not- they sound good, when they work, kind of thing. :haha advantage guitar sells them new on ebay.

Also tempted to recommend the tonerider american overdrive- I have it on good authority that it sounds identical to a maxon od9, which itself is an ibanez ts9 (maxon made the ibanez tubescreamers), but I haven't tried it myself. I do have the tonerider analogue chorus, and it's a very nice pedal, so I see no reason why the overdrive wouldn't be nice too. dangleberry music sells them, they're £50 on the nose, with free postage.

i haven't tried that modded sd1; i'm not a major fan of boss pedals (i.e. i don't like them, as goldfish says, they mess with your tone pretty severely), but those mods, from what I hear, can improve the tone quite a lot. I'd still personally go for a pedal which didn't need to be modded, though, most likely.

so too conclude,
i should choose either...

i)
ii)
iii)
??

lol

Dave_Mc
02-19-2010, 07:16 PM
up to you, really, i haven't tried your amp (and I haven't tried most of the pedals either) :haha . TS-style pedals have a big mid hump, and roll off a bit of the bass, which is good if your amp is too scooped and/or the bass gets flubby when it's really pushed, but if your amp is already really middy and/or has a really tight bass that might not be what you want.

I would go for the tonerider over the biyang based on the reliability, but the biyang has more options. That's assuming you want a TS-style pedal, of course.

Just thought of more options- those danelectro cool cats (especially the version 1 models, which were clones, or near enough, of boutique pedals) are supposed to be really good for the price, too, but I haven't tried them yet. Presumably the transparent overdrive or the drive would be worth a look, too.

Ice4600
02-19-2010, 07:16 PM
I would look at MXR 6 or 10 Band EQ pedals. they give a pretty transparent boost, MXR also makes a nice OD/Boost that gives up to 20db so its powerful.

6 Band: http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=249&pmh=products/p_and_e
10 Band: http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=248&pmh=products/p_and_e
Boost:http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=265&pmh=products/p_and_e
OD/Boost: http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=264&pmh=products/p_and_e

daverichards
02-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Check out this video on the Behringer OD 400 This pedal impresses me more than any other Over Drive very transparent and organic the video is also on a tube amp.

Behringer OD400 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tRqxYjQ7do)

Then If you want a distortion pedal that does all the Metal and rock and anything between even driven blues check out this Electro Harmonics Metal Muff with top boost. They are one of the only distortion pedals that don't make a tube amp sound digital. They sound sweet own one myself ran on my Crate V33h all tube class a amp.

Metal muff with top boost (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm4D5VJhHBU)

These are 2 of the best vids that really show what they can do enjoy :)

like the metal muff's multi eq,
have you played on the bad monkey at all...?

GrisKy
02-20-2010, 08:44 PM
like home dude said, blackstar's pedals are the shizz... I also pretty much agree with what Dave had to say.

OD's are like ice cream man, what flavor do you like?

since you mentioned a lt of classic rock in your playing, I thought I might also mention the Radial Tonebone Classic & Hot British (depending on YOUR kinda' "classic" rock), and the Catalinbread DLS. The DLS is pretty much a JCM800 in pedal form, and it really just blew me away from the first time I heard it... not to take anything away from the Radial Classic, but the DLS took its place on my board!

...not sure what the conversion rate is, but my guess is any of those might mean a little saving up? :shrug: