Punk guitarists

PDA

View Full Version : Punk guitarists

AlChron77
02-23-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm looking to get a new guitar but I don't know much about what to look for. I've asked for advice from different people and all I really get is "Just try out as many guitars as you can and choose one that feels right" but that has not helped. I have played tons but am no closer to making a decision. I had one friend tell me to find out what kind of guitars some of my favorite bands use to help narrow it down a bit. I am pretty new to the guitar (been playing about 6 months) and don't know a hell of a lot about what I should be looking for so that seemed like a pretty good suggestion, especially considering I want to play primarily punk rock as I progress.

So does anyone know what kind of guitars these guys play?

Warren Fitzgerald of the Vandals (I know he plays Ernie Ball guitars but I don't know anything more than that).

Pete Steinkompf of the Bouncing Souls

Greg Hetson of Bad Religion (or Brett Gurewitz I guess)

Chris Wollard of Hot Water Music and The Draft

Those are the bands whose sound I like the best, but I am open to any other suggestions. Thanks, any help and/or advice is MUCH appreciated.

I-AM-NOT-GOD
02-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Chris Wollard plays a Fender Tele, I think Greg Hetson plays a Gibson Les Paul but i'm not 100%, unsure on the others.

VirtualBramm
02-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Gibson Les Paul...yes. thought that too...epiphone will do aswell tho if you aint have the money...
ofcourse youll hear a lil difference

facemelter
02-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Just get anything you like, with a humbucker pick up, and a distortion pedal. even a cheap fender squire would sound fine.

VirtualBramm
02-23-2010, 08:06 PM
also make some cuts on your guitar and some stickers to make it look punk! :D

RockThe40oz
02-23-2010, 08:09 PM
:(

SuperBlob
02-23-2010, 08:13 PM
I would say Les Paul Double Cut

But they're discontinued

:sad:

VirtualBramm
02-23-2010, 08:15 PM

isnt that for emo's?

SSaxdude
02-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Looking at a pictures online, it looks like Pete, Bret, and Chris all play Les Pauls. I'm sure all of them play other guitars too, not just Les Pauls. Les Pauls are kinda expensive, and you might not want to drop a lot of dough if you're just starting out. I bought a Squier Strat Bullet for $120 and I love it. I also like Strats more than other guitars. The sound is just awesome. I've played several other guitars, like SGs, Rickenbackers, and Ibanez and I don't think the sound matches that of a Strat. Ibanez is pretty popular with metal and punk guitarists. But a lot of the best guitarists play Strats.

AlChron77
02-23-2010, 08:20 PM
I've been thinking about maybe an Epiphone SG (maybe the G-4100) or something comparable to the Agile AL-2000. It just sucks because I live in Salt Lake and can't actually try the Agile before I buy it.

VirtualBramm
02-23-2010, 08:22 PM
whats a G-4100?

charliezard!
02-23-2010, 08:25 PM
isnt that for emo's?
:|

charliezard!
02-23-2010, 08:26 PM
to contribute to this thread, I play a telecaster when I'm playin my punk rawk. It's really perfect for most subgenres of punk.

neidnarb11890
02-23-2010, 08:34 PM
http://www.electric-guitars-guide.com/images/Gibson-Les-Paul-Faded-double-cutaway.jpg
I play this cutie. Rob's totally jealous of it!

But yeah, I'd recommend a Les Paul or SG style guitar to get the sound you're looking for.

SuperBlob
02-23-2010, 08:47 PM
http://www.electric-guitars-guide.com/images/Gibson-Les-Paul-Faded-double-cutaway.jpg
I play this cutie. Rob's totally jealous of it!
Two of the bands I saw tonight had guitarists with those

fiend89
02-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Go for the Epiphone SG and upgrade at least the bridge to a Duncan Invader,

werty22
02-23-2010, 09:47 PM

But they're discontinued

You can get a Japanese or Korean copy if you don't want to shell out the ca$h a Gibson like a sucker (o wait).

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/3/1/1/4/311420/pics/_c648619_image_0.jpg

Gibson reissues them every once in a while for an almost reasonable price (assuming you buy used). And they probably have a better resale value than the Asian copies. That's what I tell myself anyway.

skatinpunk
02-23-2010, 10:46 PM
isnt that for emo's?
:(

SuperBlob
02-23-2010, 10:56 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130369074389

Ffffuuuuuuck I want

Damnit, why am I a student? :sad:

SKAtastic7770
02-23-2010, 10:58 PM
I play a guitar with a homemade body, because Im uber p0nx. For me its all about how the neck feels though, thats why I mostly play fenders.

xUptoNoGoodx
02-24-2010, 12:12 AM
I've been thinking about maybe an Epiphone SG (maybe the G-4100) or something comparable to the Agile AL-2000. It just sucks because I live in Salt Lake and can't actually try the Agile before I buy it.

I have an Epiphone SG which I disabled the rythm pickup to make it basically an on and off switch. With a little bit of reverb and decent distortion it has a really nice tone, and the tone dial on it gives you a good variety too (not just barely changing the tone like alot of tone dials do.) Put your amp on the clean channel and it sounds fantastic for ska, if you want to play that. Very springy.

LonelyStarts
02-24-2010, 04:48 AM
I have an Epiphone SG which I disabled the rythm pickup to make it basically an on and off switch. With a little bit of reverb and decent distortion it has a really nice tone, and the tone dial on it gives you a good variety too (not just barely changing the tone like alot of tone dials do.) Put your amp on the clean channel and it sounds fantastic for ska, if you want to play that. Very springy.

For ska, your guitar yes it is a good but anything else just doesn't sound right..

xUptoNoGoodx
02-24-2010, 04:52 AM
You don't know what you're talking about.

LonelyStarts
02-24-2010, 04:59 AM
You don't know what you're talking about.

I don't, shit. I swear I knew what I was talking about.

:confused:

xUptoNoGoodx
02-24-2010, 05:06 AM
It sounds beautiful for punk, you just like crummy settings.

Vodka.Punk
02-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Jasons settings in the garage are the definition of superb stfu bro.

I Dont Belong
02-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Ibanez are great guitars I love them. I also have an Epiphone SG its a great guitar, mines really light and very comfortable to play with.

lookpizza
02-24-2010, 04:18 PM
It sounds beautiful for punk, you just like crummy settings.

Both of your guitars always sounded like shit last I remember.
Has something changed?

xUptoNoGoodx
02-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Distortion pedal and amp settings.

xUptoNoGoodx
02-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Jasons settings in the garage are the definition of superb stfu bro.

Haha.

AlChron77
02-24-2010, 05:42 PM
whats a G-4100?

Type-o, homie. I meant G-400

So its narrowed down to a les paul or an sg. Which do you guys prefer? Like I said, I'm totally new to this shit so I appreciate the help.

werty22
02-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Why do you want a new guitar? Better sound? If that's the case, a better amp will make a much bigger difference.

If you don't know what you want or why you want it you probably shouldn't get it yet.

It doesn't matter what we prefer, only what you prefer. Play an SG and a Les Paul and decide which you like better. If you can't really tell the difference (that's not unlikely since you've only been playing 6 months), hold off on getting a new guitar until you have more experience.

BrianApocalypse
02-24-2010, 08:19 PM
I would possibly lean towards an SG, because they're lighter so you can jump around more.

I play Les Pauls, because they have a slightly nicer clean sound and are big, heavy guitars.

neidnarb11890
02-24-2010, 10:23 PM
I took a trip to GuitarCenter (which was a stupid idea) tonight and played an SG for a bit. It was pretty sweet! I've thought about getting one, but my bassist just got an SG bass, and we'd look so silly.
I'm gonna revamp my old guitar, which is a Brownsville Les Paul-style axe, either over spring break or this summer. I've been playing it while I've been at school (without an amp, cuz A-can't have amps in my room; B-the input jack's wiring is messed up), and I like the feel of it. So hopefully once I throw some new electronics & pickups in there it'll sound nice, too.

AlChron77
02-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Why do you want a new guitar? Better sound? If that's the case, a better amp will make a much bigger difference.

If you don't know what you want or why you want it you probably shouldn't get it yet.

It doesn't matter what we prefer, only what you prefer. Play an SG and a Les Paul and decide which you like better. If you can't really tell the difference (that's not unlikely since you've only been playing 6 months), hold off on getting a new guitar until you have more experience.

I'm currently playing on a cheap-o beginner Ibanez - the type that comes in the beginner kit with a 15 watt amp, picks, dvd, case, blah blah blah. I don't like the sound, the pickups suck and it just doesn't "feel" right anymore. I've played a lot of other guitars in local shops, some feel better and some don't. I'm starting to take my playing more seriously and want to progress with better equipment too. Its time to upgrade. That's why I want it.

I was asking because I wanted advice from more experienced players - who like the same music I do - on which guitars are best for getting the sound I want. Now that I've narrowed it down I just wanted opinions on the two. I plan on playing both types a lot before I buy, of course, but it never hurts to have input from more experienced players.

BrianApocalypse
02-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Thinking about it, I'd just play some Les Paul and SG type models, and pick the one that feels the best, regardless of which kind it is. :)

lavazza
02-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Im thinking about getting a LAG Roxane 1000 :)

AlChron77
02-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Thinking about it, I'd just play some Les Paul and SG type models, and pick the one that feels the best, regardless of which kind it is. :)

Word. That's the plan for this weekend. I'm going from store to store and am going to play as many as I can get my filthy hands on. Hopefully I'll find one and be able to buy next week. I really, REALLY wish there was a way I could try out an Agile. That's the only thing that's driving me nuts. Everything I've read and heard about those guitars is very complimentary and the prices are pretty reasonable. I just hate the idea of ordering a guitar I've never had a chance to try out.

whatbox!!!
02-25-2010, 08:05 PM
I have a gretsch corvette kick ass guitar a little twangy though but very nice their not bacly priced either

LonelyStarts
02-26-2010, 03:31 AM
Hah. Now you guys are banned.. Buttholes.

Dragula666
06-23-2010, 07:12 PM
I think Greg Hetson plays a Gibson SG with Duncan pickups.

due 07
06-23-2010, 08:07 PM
For lead playing, I'd use fenders with buckers. They can stay in tune a little better than les pauls. For rhythm, I'd use a gibson or epiphone of some sort, with humbuckers. Unless you are using less gain for a more classic punk sound, I'd use a guitar with some sort of single coils. Either a telecaster or Les Paul Junior or Melody Maker.

the glue man
06-23-2010, 08:12 PM
I play a Les Paul and am looking to get a Big Muff because they sound like teh titz

And if I had 39741284729 USD I'd get an Orange amp, but even with that much money I'd only be able to get a dinky one :(

CL/\SH
06-24-2010, 03:04 PM
isnt that for emo's?
OOOOOOOOOOHHH SHIZZZLLLE!

I think anything will do all right TS, even a Squier Bullet will do. Just pick one out that isn't horrible as far as qc goes and you're good.

But if you're a stickler for tone, just know that you want a guitar that plays well, and an amp that sounds good.