Neu!

PDA

View Full Version : Neu!

werty22
02-26-2010, 08:25 PM
There's only one thread about them, and it's in the "Other" forum, so I figured I'd start up a new discussion here.

I acquired Neu! '75 a couple of days ago and I've been enjoying it lately. Apparently John Lydon was a big fan, and that's clearly evident from the second half of this album, especially the vocals. I hope to get their self-titled soon.

I believe Brian has mentioned them before, but other than him I don't know how many of you guys have heard them. Definitely something to check out if you're into the more experimental side of proto-punk.

nashawa
02-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Me and one of my teachers discuss this band all the time. I got really into them a few months ago.

neidnarb11890
02-26-2010, 11:27 PM
This band is my bassist's new obsession, so I'll be checking them out at some point.

Doolittle
02-27-2010, 12:12 AM
hell yes, noy are excellent! There hasn't been too many albums that have literally blown my mind on first listen (minus maybe Marquee Moon), but Neu! '75 and their deubt certainly have. I can honestly say I have never heard anything like Neu! or those two albums. It's not really proto-punk. I see that as like The Stooges or Patti Smith, and it's not really all out avant-garde experimental, it's one of the tightest records around (both '75 and the deubt, I mean). As for someone who is dominated by songs no less thanthree minutes, Neu! are surprisingly interesting and provocative, even if it is the same riff being repeated over and over again at certain points. The second album is pretty cool too, though I haven't given it a decent listen yet.

werty22
02-27-2010, 01:21 AM
hell yes, noy are excellent! There hasn't been too many albums that have literally blown my mind on first listen (minus maybe Marquee Moon), but Neu! '75 and their deubt certainly have. I can honestly say I have never heard anything like Neu! or those two albums. It's not really proto-punk. I see that as like The Stooges or Patti Smith, and it's not really all out avant-garde experimental, it's one of the tightest records around (both '75 and the deubt, I mean). As for someone who is dominated by songs no less thanthree minutes, Neu! are surprisingly interesting and provocative, even if it is the same riff being repeated over and over again at certain points. The second album is pretty cool too, though I haven't given it a decent listen yet.
Yeah, I'm using the term loosely.

I guess they don't really blow my mind because of the related music I've listened to. Their general feel was already kind of familiar. But of course they sound much more "organic" than Kraftwerk, more minimalistic than Bowie's Berlin period, etc.

lolmnt
02-27-2010, 02:02 AM
This sounds like my cup o' tea. Will check out.

This is good.

lavazza
02-27-2010, 08:03 AM
If you mean this band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy5A7fOY0MA

if yes, and if you like this Krautrock stuff, then try
Kraan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etkiEh2k2rc&feature=related)
(they have a bassist who´s well known under German bass players)
and Jane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUnS_E7xGH4)

BrianApocalypse
02-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Yeah, Neu! are pretty cool. I don't have any albums or compilations though.

There was a program on the radio about "kraut rock" on my birthday, we were listening to it in the car on the way home from the restaurant that the rents take me to every year.

What I was probably saying, Werty, was that Neu! and their contemporaries were a huge influence on John Lydon. Which illustrates that punk wasn't entirely an anti-60's countercultural movement.

lavazza
02-27-2010, 11:03 AM
^Neu was founded in the 70s, right?

werty22
02-27-2010, 01:08 PM
A couple of members were active in Kraftwerk in the late '60s. So Neu! wouldn't really be an example of a late '60s (arguably) progressive band that inspired Lydon, but their contemporaries would (and I don't just mean "krautrock," also stuff like Cap'n Beefheart, Magma, and Syd Barret).

I didn't like that thread in the "other" forum because it was actually called "Kraftwerk/Neu!/Can." That's like making a "Ramones/Sex Pistols/Clash" thread. They don't really have much in common besides the label people throw on them. It kind of devalues their individuality and makes it seem like the threadstarter is just listening to the "genre" for the novelty of it.

due 07
11-26-2011, 05:14 AM
I'm using the momentum from Can to finally check out another band the punx cognoscenti around here talk about, Neu!. I thought I was downloading the s/t, but it turns out I got Neu! '75. It's even .ogg, so, like, wtf, y'know? O, #firstworldproblems ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not bad music though. Some of this stuff is pretty punx \m/ \m/

█▐▌█▐▌
11-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Lul, this thread was a big stretch.

lolmnt
11-26-2011, 04:20 PM
I like Neu. I'm slowly getting into Krautrock.

neidnarb11890
11-26-2011, 05:54 PM
My band covered "Negativland" today at practice. :daisy:

uhh_me?
12-04-2011, 10:37 AM
is Neu 4 worth picking up? i've only heard negative things, so i'm wondering if there is actually anything redeeming about it.

thoughts on La! Neu? ?

jakesmellspoo
12-04-2011, 01:11 PM
My band covered "Negativland" today at practice. :daisy:

first time listening, and i'm listening to that song right now. not bad.

█▐▌█▐▌
12-04-2011, 06:01 PM
is Neu 4 worth picking up? i've only heard negative things, so i'm wondering if there is actually anything redeeming about it.

thoughts on La! Neu? ?
I've given it a few spins for background music and liked it, but I never listening too critically.

It's not transcendentally magical-sounding like the S-t or '75, but I don't think it's too far behind 2. It's kinda like a cross between klassik Neu! and quasi-new-wave, because I guess it was sort of an oblique parody of pop at the time.

I wouldn't bother with it if I had to pay for it.