Boss Metal Zone or Boss Metalcore?

PDA

View Full Version : Boss Metal Zone or Boss Metalcore?

wtfbbqcream
02-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Tossing up between these two pedals, interested in playing stuff like In Flames, Killswitch engage, At the Gates. Using a MG30FX and a ESP LTD Viper 100

I know theres no such thing as a "best pedal" but id just like to hear what you guys have to say about these pedals. Are there any pros and cons about both? which would you rather have?

MatrixClaw
02-28-2010, 03:24 AM
Both are horrible stock, and will not make your MG sound any better.

:shrug:

Faux~Affliction
02-28-2010, 03:27 AM
Yeah they're both very bad sounding pedals.
I suggest either selling your amp and buying a Peavey Vyper 15/30 (same price as your Marshall but sounds leagues better) or if you're really stuck on the distortion pedal idea then get a Hardwire distortion pedal.

theacousticpunk
02-28-2010, 03:38 AM
Both:
Pros: Heavy metal paper weight, (metal zone) potential for modding
Cons: Digital sounding, overly harsh, sterile, very little playing response, noisy, you pay for the name

Jyrgen
02-28-2010, 03:41 AM
Agreed with everyone, neither one

Fives
02-28-2010, 03:41 AM
or not?

wtfbbqcream
02-28-2010, 03:58 AM
really there both bad pedals? and whats wrong with the MG?

CommBreakDown
02-28-2010, 04:04 AM
MG's are toys..... get a small tube amp and maybe a metal muff or Big Muff pedal. theyre awsome

Got Guitar?
02-28-2010, 04:40 AM
MG's are toys..... get a small tube amp and maybe a metal muff or Big Muff pedal. theyre awsome
QFT. I own a MG and it doesn't come close to my classic 30 and big muff. Actually, I kind of feel bad now. I haven't even turned on my MG in several months. I might give it some pity love tomorrow, haha.

STABxYOU
02-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Both:
Pros: Heavy metal paper weight, (metal zone) potential for modding
Cons: Digital sounding, overly harsh, sterile, very little playing response, noisy, you pay for the name

Neither pedal can sound digital, as both totally analog. ;)

The Metalzone sounds really good through some setups, with the right EQing (PROTIP: it has active EQing and +/-15 db gain, don't max anything) and really, really awful though most. It also makes a good basis for modding.

Can't comment on the Metalcore. I'd look for an HM-3, or really for an HM-2.

HM-2 = classic Swedish DM tone.

Unrelated, is it just me, or are all Boss/Roland distortions kinda grainy sounding?

Sonic Blast
02-28-2010, 09:45 AM
I've found a really great tone with my metalzone. But it took a while to find something really nice. But after all the work, it sounds fantastic. it's great to take to a gig to make sure you have some good distortion, but high-grade tube amp distortion is better. A new versatile tube amp will do you a world of good, and be better than just a pedal, but the metalzone is a good alternative if you don't want to dish out the big bucks.

I really don't like metal muffs, they sound too thin imo but it was probably the guy's bad eqing. but MXR makes a good metal pedal, the Fullbore Metal. you might check that out too.

WtrPlyr
02-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Neither pedal can sound digital, as both totally analog. ;)
If digital can sound analog, analog can sound digital.

AxSilentxLine
02-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Yeah they're both very bad sounding pedals.
I suggest either selling your amp and buying a Peavey Vyper 15/30 (same price as your Marshall but sounds leagues better) or if you're really stuck on the distortion pedal idea then get a Hardwire distortion pedal.
I agree the Vypyr is better than the MG for the price but it's certainly not leagues better. I second the HardWire distortion though
I really don't like metal muffs, they sound too thin imo but it was probably the guy's bad eqing. but MXR makes a good metal pedal, the Fullbore Metal. you might check that out too.
IMO the Fullbore is one of the tinniest and most fizzy pedals i've ever used

Demon_dave
02-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Between those two...Metalzone for sure. You have far more sound contouring control with the MT-2 than the ML-2...the ML-2 is based on the old boss HM-2 "Heavy Metal" pedal, and it's very high gain all the time with less control over it. The metalzone can give you anything from classic metallica to yngwie, and I think MT-2's are still cheaper than ML-2's anyhow. Cheers :D

Sonic Blast
02-28-2010, 12:33 PM
IMO the Fullbore is one of the tinniest and most fizzy pedals i've ever used

I don't own it, but it contours like the metalzone (which i have), and i've heard almost nothing but good things about it from other people. mxr's never let me down before. :shrug: i say the same thing about metal muffs

i_am_metalhead
02-28-2010, 12:43 PM
...Dunlop's never let me down before. :shrug:...

Fixed ;)

TS: As been said, neither of those pedals are very good stock. There are a good bit of mods out there for the Metal Zone but unless you're doing the mods yourself its not worth it - for the price you pay for a modded one or to have one modded you can easily buy a better stock pedal for the same price.

If you're unhappy with your tone then you should start off at the source - your amp. Although the MG4's are an improvement over previous models, they are still poorly constructed and made of cheap components. They also don't have very good tone (yea, I know that's subjective) and they lack dynamics.

Slayerdeath
02-28-2010, 01:27 PM
i`d go with the MT-2 Metal Zone... killer lil pedal if you can set it up right... sounds HORRIDE unless it`s in it`s sweet spot. ... MASS feedback, it`s a very noisy pedal.

my nephew uses the MG30 and the Metal Zone... he loves it i hate it... i stay just stick with the Marshalls gain knob. its got enuff gain to play metal.

but once you play a REAL amp you wont even look at distortion pedals again.... i havn`t touched my Metal Zone in probly almost 3 years

no.mop
02-28-2010, 01:34 PM
It's a Lose/Lose situation you have there.

wtfbbqcream
03-01-2010, 03:33 AM
hell yeah a new amp would be sweet. unfortunatly im only a year 11 student so i dont really have that much money to burn. think i might go with a HM-2, for that awesome swedish death metal sounds. il probs have to ebay it.

Guitarbaddie
03-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Don't let anyone convince you that either pedal is good, cause they're not.

insatanity
03-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Electro Harmonix Metal Muff...with Top Boost...

Ghostmaker
03-01-2010, 07:02 AM
The metal zone is a good overall pedal for metal, you can get a wider variety of sound from it.

The metal core isnt bad either, its just less versitile. The low and high knobs are fairly sensitive, but the distortion knob is kinda useless, cus even with it at 9 o'clock you're getting a buttload of gain. I thought it was very "woofy" sounding, a LOT of low mids. I actually didnt care for it until I tuned down to drop-c, then I got a good System of a Down type of sound from it. It was definately made with low tuning in mind, so it would be the better choice to fit the bands you mentioned.

I think of the metal zone as being for 90's and 80's metal, and the metal core as being 2000's onward. Check out other pedals, but between the two you mentioned the metal core is probably what you want.

suffersystem
03-01-2010, 07:23 AM
I'd say grab a used MT-2. Considering your age, and the equipment you have now, it'd be an okay place to start. As your playing gets better, and as your ears get more fine-tuned, you will eventually want to get better gear. For now though, an MT-2 won't burn a whole in your pocket book and it'll do what you need it to for the time being.

I would recomend saving for something better though for the future if you get serious into your playing.

Gakusey
03-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Don't wanna blow my own trumpet, but why not at least TRY a ProCo Turbo Rat (the hi-gain version of the classic Rat)? Even though it's not a "metal" pedal per se (i.e. it doesn't say "metal" on the chassis to brainwash all you metalheads to buy a shitty pedal), you can get some very nasty distortion with it and it's miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles better than those Boss ones you mentioned. Just give it a try, all I'm saying. The price is the same, but the quality and the sound are so so much better. I'm very happy with mine. You don't need a metal pedal to get a great-sounding distortion.

DroptuneD
03-01-2010, 02:59 PM
I have owned both the ML-2 and the MT-2 at the same time. I sold the ML-2 and kept the MT-2 because of the ability to adjust the mid frequencies. I don't really "like" the tone but it is a hell of a lot better than the MG's distortion (I own an MG10 as well).

MetalHammer93
03-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Hmm... I wouldnt get either of these...
Depending on your budget (which you havent mentioned i think ?) I'd consider
-Blackstar HT-DistX (Tube Distortion Pedal between 80-110, sounds vary so much you can play almost anything xD)
-Barber Electronics Dirty Bomb (70-100 Another very good pedal, from the reviews i'd say its good for chuncky stuff, Thrash metal like things)
-MXR Fullbore Metal (90-100 Pretty good, i don't really like it becasue of it's high gain, thin, fuzzy noise, this is your pedal. IMO good fro some Pantera stuff, old school metal and New Age Metalcore)
-EHX Metal Muff (You can get it for around 50-60, nice little box of doom. again nice cheap thrashy/proper metal tone :))
-Digitech HardWire TL-2 (50-60 i think of it as a mix of an improved MetalZone and MetalCore boss pedals... It just gave me that kinda impression... Much better than the boss pedals tho. :P)

Guitarmiester
03-01-2010, 03:29 PM
hell yeah a new amp would be sweet. unfortunatly im only a year 11 student so i dont really have that much money to burn. think i might go with a HM-2, for that awesome swedish death metal sounds. il probs have to ebay it.

Good idea. I've seen the HM-2 as cheap as $30. Even though I'm not a fan of Boss/Roland distortion or modeling, the HM-2 is cheap, underrated, and better than most metal pedals out there.

SimplyBen
03-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Hmm... I wouldnt get either of these...
Depending on your budget (which you havent mentioned i think ?) I'd consider
-Blackstar HT-DistX (Tube Distortion Pedal between 80-110, sounds vary so much you can play almost anything xD)
-Barber Electronics Dirty Bomb (70-100 Another very good pedal, from the reviews i'd say its good for chuncky stuff, Thrash metal like things)

These are the two things that need to be considered.
The Blackstar is the one I'd get as a Blackstar as it massively improves an MG.

MetalHammer93
03-01-2010, 03:52 PM
These are the two things that need to be considered.
The Blackstar is the one I'd get as a Blackstar as it massively improves an MG.
It massively improves anything it touches !! :P i just bought one and its f'ing amazing !!