Did Johnny Ramone write any songs?

PDA

View Full Version : Did Johnny Ramone write any songs?

dst127
03-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Title pretty much says it all. I know that Dee Dee wrote most of the Ramones songs, along with Joey, but I cannot find any information on Johnny. Does anyone know if he wrote any full songs for the Ramones or sang on any of their albums? Thanks.

charliezard!
03-04-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that he wrote a few, but I don't know any specifics.

drugfreeboy
03-05-2010, 12:04 AM
i'm pretty certain that he did. i read in some book a while back that they all wrote all the songs, just credited as the ramones...until i think it was johnny wanted to be solely credited for writing the song.

neidnarb11890
03-05-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm sure Johnny wrote music, but I don't know about lyrics. I think Tommy wrote "Blitzkrieg Bop", and I know Dee Dee and Joey did a lot, but I don't know the song for song breakdown throughout their career.

SuperBlob
03-05-2010, 05:16 AM
If you go on the Wiki pages for each album, it says who wrote which songs

Johnny is co-credited with Dee Dee for 3 songs on the s/t'd for example

lavazza
03-05-2010, 05:26 AM
Letīs go and This ainīt havana are co-written by Johnny and Dee Dee

iwannabesedated
03-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Get Brian in here.

He'll know.

BrianApocalypse
03-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Get Brian in here.

He'll know.

:cheers:

Johnny wrote "Durango 95", an instrumental by himself. He never sang, which is a shame because I bet he had a lovely singing voice. He certainly didn't write lyrics.

"Psycho Therapy" from 1982/3's Subterranean Jungle is credited as a collaboration between Dee Dee and Johnny, but Dee Dee disputed that.

I wouldn't really trust the wikipedia thing, because most Ramones historians are either wannabes or factional. It's probably largely based off of Tommy Ramone's interview in the extras of "End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones".

It's probably a safe bet to assume that Johnny did indeed write the riffs to some of the earlier Ramones songs. He didn't have too much of a role of an arranger, Dee Dee or Joey were probably the ones who structured the riffs around their lyrics, with maybe a small amount of input from Tommy.

I think it took Dee Dee a bit of time to be able to write songs coherently, although he was very much the one with "the gift". Also remember that Dee Dee played guitar as a kid, and even though he was never a particularly skilled player, a lot of people would have you think that Johnny actually taught him to play.

Tommy has commented that Dee Dee would come up with things on the spot, which impressed him. Which means that Tommy was a more methodical songwriter and did not have the gift. Probably a lot of thought went into Blitzkrieg Bop.

Johnny certainly would have transcribed the covers that the band did in the early days (California Sun, Let's Dance etc). But in terms of being a songwriter, he did NOT have the gift, and he certainly couldn't bring songs together.

Joey had the gift, and could write songs on two strings on Mickey Leigh's acoustic turned upside down (he was left-handed), so I see Joey as being very creative. I don't know if he wrote that quickly (Dee Dee certainly did), because while he did scribble on scraps of paper, it reportedly took him several years to write the KKK.

I call shenanigans on the whole Dee Dee cowriting later on thing. Daniel Rey reportedly co-wrote Poison Heart. Dee Dee called this out in his biography. Saw him in the summer with CJ, he needed the words written down to sing it, and he didn't play it very well either. Rest assured, if Daniel Rey cowrote a song so brilliant as Poison Heart, he would be able to play it AND know the words. I think that Rey just added a bit of lead guitar to the song and took a co-credit:

Compare the Ramones version to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjuP7hy5IxY

This is the Stiv Bators version, reportedly Dee Dee and Johnny Thunders played on it, but that was bull. All I know personnel-wise is that Tony James of Gen X (also of shitty Mick Jones fame band, Carbon/Silicon) played bass. It's certainly not got Thunders or Dee Dee on. But it's certainly a blank canvas that Rey would have painted a few lead riffs over. But in terms of him actually writing the song, f*ck off. I'm imagining an identical story for Pet Semetary. Still, were Rey responsible for Pet Semetary's guitar solo (and he probably was) he still came up with the greatest guitar solo of all time, which ain't a bad consolation prize.

It was Joey who pushed the individual songwriting credits. It hurt Dee Dee, and it was good of Johnny because he was the partner that lost out.

But that's just what I believe, based on the common sense of a collation of extensive stories that I have read and heard. How accurate it is, I don't know. But it's certainly no less accurate than anyone else's theory.

iwannabesedated
03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Nicely done.

pinheadslts75
03-05-2010, 08:23 PM
There was a lot of "Dee Dee and John" collabs on the first three, according to old Tommy, as well as on Too Tough to Die. It's doubtful he ever wrote any lyrics.

I think Dee Dee mentioned in Lobotomy that the songwriting process at first was,"Joey playing out song ideas on a two string guitar, Johnny desperately trying to make chords from that, and Dee Dee writing the lyrics."

I know I've heard that before, but I can't remember if it as Dee Dee's words or someone here.

SKAtastic7770
03-05-2010, 11:07 PM
:cheers:
I don't know if he wrote that quickly (Dee Dee certainly did), because while he did scribble on scraps of paper, it reportedly took him several years to write the KKK.

Thats hilarious. And my mate gives me beef for taking too long to write songs.

BrianApocalypse
03-06-2010, 10:04 AM
There was a lot of "Dee Dee and John" collabs on the first three, according to old Tommy, as well as on Too Tough to Die. It's doubtful he ever wrote any lyrics.

Yeah, it's pretty conclusive that Johnny's only lyrical submission to the Ramones was demanding that the title of "Bonzo goes to Bitburg" be changed! :)

I think Dee Dee mentioned in Lobotomy that the songwriting process at first was,"Joey playing out song ideas on a two string guitar, Johnny desperately trying to make chords from that, and Dee Dee writing the lyrics."

I know I've heard that before, but I can't remember if it as Dee Dee's words or someone here.

I don't actually remember reading that part, although I have poison heart, which was rewritten somehow into Lobotomy, and it's been a few years.

Has anyone read Vera's book? It was a good read, although I still need to get my hands on the new book "I slept with Joey Ramone".

I think that John probably did write a lot of the riffs for TTTD, because at that time Joey was an alcoholic so it was really a Dee Dee/John lead kind of group at that point, especially with Marky out of the picture.

I'm not so sure about John co-writing wart hog or endless vacation though, because I got the impression that it was only Dee Dee in the Ramones who liked hardcore and John was vehemently against it.

Looking on the wikipedia page for the album, I am surprised by the personnel involved. I didn't know that Walter Lure played on any albums apart from Subterranean Jungle. I certainly didn't know that Jerry Harrison from the talking heads played the keyboard (I always assumed it was Dave Stewart, who produced the single).

Had I been a Ramone, or any kind of proper musician I'd have insisted on writing a little piece in the album about how it was recorded, because that kind of stuff is genuinely interesting.