Pickups for Ibanez AF75

PDA

View Full Version : Pickups for Ibanez AF75

Aceituna
03-10-2010, 01:28 PM
I have an Ibanez AF75. I want to change the pickups for playing rock, blues, hard-rock and rockīn roll. Could I put next pack in my guitar?
http://www.thomann.de/es/seymour_duncan_sshjb_jazz_rodded_humbucker.htm
Could I put these pickups in my guitar?
Which option do you recommend for my goal?
Thank you very much for your help.
Regards.

steven seagull
03-10-2010, 01:40 PM
What amp do you have?
What's wrong with your tone now?
How do you want it to change?

Aceituna
03-10-2010, 01:48 PM
I have a Cube 80x.
The AF75 pickups are ACH1 and ACH2.
I am a beginner but I donīt like the sound.
I have thought to change the guitar but the second hand market is very down in Spain and my Ibanez is too new for selling at have price.
I have a Washburn J3 and the clean sound register cover my needs. I am looking for increasing my posibilities for playing classic rock, hard rock, rockīn roll. In this moment, these two guitars are too similar (but I prefer Washburn sound, off course, for jazz, blues).
Thanks a lot for your response.
Regards.

Tinderwet
03-10-2010, 02:38 PM
You definitely need something with no metal covers, to have a brigter timbre, stronger attack and less "mud". I think those Seymour Duncans would be perfect for what you want.

Aceituna
03-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Thank you very much for your response.
But, do you know if that pickups are good for floating bridges?
Baring in mind that my ampli is a Cube 80x, what kind of multieffects do you recommend me for starting?
I am looking for a cost effective option.
Thanks again.

Tinderwet
03-10-2010, 05:21 PM
You're welcome! Yes, as long as they are the right size to fit in your guitar you're good to go. And since they are regular sized humbuckers, they'll work fine. And they are 4 conductor pickups, so later on you or someone who's good enough with a soldering iron could mod your guitar to be able to split your humbuckers into single coils.

I have an older Cube 30 (without the x), and I find the built in effects to be completely enough. The only thing it didn't have on board is a compressor, so I got one (Visual Sound Comp 66). I'm sorry I'm not too familiar with multieffects, but if you are after a certain sound we could look up the net to find a device for it.

F-Hole
03-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I had an AF75. I sold it after I bought an AG75 with TV Jones TVtron pups in it. These pups sound great in this guitar. I didn't care much for the stock Ibanez pups either, although I do love their guitars (the AG75 is one of my favorite axes).

I have an Epi LP with Seymour Duncans, and they rock. You can't go wrong with them.

Aceituna
03-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I keep my doubt about the floating bridge. Is it possible to put these pickups in guitars with floating bridge?

F-Hole
03-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Absolutely. The string spacing is a little wider on Fenders' floating bridges, so when you buy the pick ups, get the F-spaced ones - that way the pick up poles will line up with the strings better. This isn't essential though, if you get pick ups that are not spaced for Fenders, it will still work with a floating bridge and sound good.

Aceituna
03-10-2010, 07:19 PM
In this case, this set would be good for my AF75?:
http://www.thomann.de/es/seymour_duncan_sshjb_jazz_rodded_humbucker.htm
Would it be very difficult to change them by myself?
Pickups are 111 euros, 20 euros shipping costs, 50 euros is the luthier. It is more than 50% of guitar cost. If it is not very difficult I would like to try.

F-Hole
03-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I guarantee you those will sound great in a AF75, and will be a dramatic improvement to your guitar's sound. I always pay someone else to install my pups, 'cause I such at that sort of thing.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 02:30 AM
I keep my doubt about the floating bridge. Is it possible to put these pickups in guitars with floating bridge?

Floating bridges per se don't determine the type of pickups you can use. They make two kinds of string spacings for pickups. The F- or Fender spacing that F-hole mentioned above is for Fender style guitars that have either the regular Fender kind of bridges or Floyd rose style locking systems. You have a Tune-O-Matic, which is the kind of bridge that Gibsons and humbucker equipped guitars in general have.

I would worry more about getting serious feedback at loud volumes/high gains because of the fully hollow body.

williamdllr
03-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Floating bridges per se don't determine the type of pickups you can use. They make two kinds of string spacings for pickups. The F- or Fender spacing that F-hole mentioned above is for Fender style guitars that have either the regular Fender kind of bridges or Floyd rose style locking systems. You have a Tune-O-Matic, which is the kind of bridge that Gibsons and humbucker equipped guitars in general have.

I would worry more about getting serious feedback at loud volumes/high gains because of the fully hollow body.

there are alot of flaws in your post.

1.) Tune-o-matic bridegs are not generally used for humbuckers. they are used for tuning stability and whether or not you want a tremelo.

2.)feedback had nothing to do with whether your guitar is a hollowbody or solid body.
it is determined by what pickups you have in your guitar/how good the soldering and the grounds are.

he would get worse feedback the louder his guitar is and more gain he is pushing.

not whether his guitar is solid body or not.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 02:59 AM
there are alot of flaws in your post.

1.) Tune-o-matic bridegs are not generally used for humbuckers. they are used for tuning stability and whether or not you want a tremelo.

2.)feedback had nothing to do with whether your guitar is a hollowbody or solid body.
it is determined by what pickups you have in your guitar/how good the soldering and the grounds are.

he would get worse feedback the louder his guitar is and more gain he is pushing.

not whether his guitar is solid body or not.

You are wrong on both points. Tune-O-Matic is the bridge Ted McCarty designed for the Gibson Les Paul in 1954. Since then, it's their main bridge type. In 1955 Seth Lover invented the humbucker (the kind we call humbucker at least). Again, since then, it's the main pickup type they put in their guitars.

Audio feedback occurs when a sound loop exists between the pickup and the speaker. Since the resonance is stronger and at lower frequency (the top of the hollow guitar has a certain "give", not as rigid and stable as a solid body) when you mount the pickup on the surface of the resonating hollow body, it will be prone to feedback more. Have you tried to mic an acoustic guitar yet?

By the way, it's tremolo, not "tremelo".

williamdllr
03-11-2010, 03:03 AM
You are wrong on both points. Tune-O-Matic is the bridge Ted McCarty designed for the Gibson Les Paul in 1954. Since then, it's their main bridge type. In 1955 Seth Lover invented the humbucker (the kind we call humbucker at least). Again, since then, it's the main pickup type they put in their guitars.

Audio feedback occurs when a sound loop exists between the pickup and the speaker. Since the resonance is stronger and at lower frequency (the top of the hollow guitar has a certain "give", not as rigid and stable as a solid body) when you mount the pickup on the surface of the resonating hollow body, it will be prone to feedback more. Have you tried to mic an acoustic guitar yet?

By the way, it's tremolo, not "tremelo".

Since when are Gibsons the most humbucker equipped guitars?

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 03:09 AM
I have an older Cube 30 (without the x), and I find the built in effects to be completely enough. The only thing it didn't have on board is a compressor, so I got one (Visual Sound Comp 66). I'm sorry I'm not too familiar with multieffects, but if you are after a certain sound we could look up the net to find a device for it.
Probably I donīt need a multieffects. I have enough effects. I have to study the posibilities of my 80x.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 03:15 AM
Since when are Gibsons the most humbucker equipped guitars?

Check out what I wrote. I wrote "it's the main pickup type they put in their guitars." Let me try to paraphrase it for you: out of all the different kinds of pickups they install, the majority are humbuckers.
Which is logical after all, because they were invented for their company.

By the way, I'm Hungarian so my English is in no way perfect, yet I find it a bit funny that I have to try and explain English for a supposedly native speaker. Not that it's a chore of course.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Probably I donīt need a multieffects. I have enough effects. I have to study the posibilities of my 80x.

That's what I would suggest too. And when you feel you've fully discovered the Cube and you find out you need something more, you can always get effects separately.

williamdllr
03-11-2010, 03:20 AM
Check out what I wrote. I wrote "it's the main pickup type they put in their guitars." Let me try to paraphrase it for you: out of all the different kinds of pickups they install, the majority are humbuckers.
Which is logical after all, because they were invented for their company.

By the way, I'm Hungarian so my English is in no way perfect, yet I find it a bit funny that I have to try and explain English for a supposedly native speaker. Not that it's a chore of course.

I guess I misread what you were saying lol.

I thought you were saying that most companies that put in humbuckers used only the Tune-O-Matic bridge.

sorry for the confusion man.

but the whole hollowbody thing is weird.

I went up to Guitar Center today and played a Ibanez Artcore and a Epiphone Dot and there was absolutely no feedback whats so ever (I was playing it on a Vox AC15CC or something like that) but whyen I picked up a Prs Paul Allender there was crazy amounts of feedback

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 03:29 AM
That's ok mate no problem. Now the Dot has a solid centerpiece in the middle of the body like the original 335, so it looks like it's fully hollow from the outside, but it really isn't. Maybe the Artcore you played was that kind of construction too. But sometimes when the pickups are mounted loosely (the springs or surgical tubes that are supposed to hold them firmly are not strong enough), or when they are not perfectly waxed so the coil wire comes loose on the bobbins they can generate feedback too. And if you stand close enough to the amp and turn it up loud enough, anything will feedback like crazy, lol.

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 03:33 AM
Sorry but my English is not very good.
When you are talking about feedback, what does it mean?
I know that my Ibanez is not the best rock guitar, off course, but I have to tune one of my two guitars for playing rock. I think the best option is the AF75. And playing only the neck pickup, Iīll keep a clean sound. Am I right?
Thanks four your help.

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 03:40 AM
On the other hand, it seems that the improving of sound quality is out of every doubt.
It seems a good option.

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 03:49 AM
In this momment I have flat wound string in my Ibanez. I put it for getting jazz sound. But now, I think it would be good to put strings more confortable for my hands. What would you recommend me?

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 04:24 AM
Sorry but my English is not very good.
When you are talking about feedback, what does it mean?
I know that my Ibanez is not the best rock guitar, off course, but I have to tune one of my two guitars for playing rock. I think the best option is the AF75. And playing only the neck pickup, Iīll keep a clean sound. Am I right?
Thanks four your help.

Feedback is that squealing or howling sound you get when you put a microphone too close to the speakers for example. It's usually unwanted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMoigb_Q9cA

But you can use it to your advantage and create music with it, like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0bmW_FqXjw

What do you mean by clean sound? If you mean the amount of distortion, that's got nothing to do with which pickup you're playing, it depends on the gain of your amp, and that which amp setting you use (I'm talking about the Roland Cube). If you want to stay clean, the JC Clean, the Black Panel or the Brit Combo and the Tweed models at low gain will work fine. I suggest you to experiment with all the settings, keep turning those knobs until you find something you like.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 04:30 AM
In this momment I have flat wound string in my Ibanez. I put it for getting jazz sound. But now, I think it would be good to put strings more confortable for my hands. What would you recommend me?

What gauge flatwounds do you have on your guitar? Maybe .012s? Because I would suggest you to go lower to regular .010 round wound strings, but for that you would need to set up your guitar differently; replace the nut, loosen the truss rod a little, set the intonation with the saddles and probably set the action too with the bridge thumb wheels.
So if you don't want to mess with it too much, I say just get the round wound version of the string gauge you already have, with a plain G.

But if you are willing to do it or someone can set it up for you, just go for .010-.046 sets, regular slinky.

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 04:33 AM
I was thinking in 008 or 009. I would like to play more confortable.
Is it very difficult to change pickups by myself?

williamdllr
03-11-2010, 04:41 AM
do you have any soldering skills?

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 04:44 AM
It's not that difficult to change pickups or setting up the guitar for the smaller gague strings, but you have to be somewhat careful, especially since you have a hollowbody.

Here's a trick, if you don't want to work through the f-holes pot by pot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ay6jNiTm44

And here's a thread about it with photos: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1203069

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 04:49 AM
do you have any soldering skills?
No, I donīt.
My wife probably do. She repair audiphones.

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 04:54 AM
It's not that difficult to change pickups or setting up the guitar for the smaller gague strings, but you have to be somewhat careful, especially since you have a hollowbody.
[/url]
I am thinking to bring it to a luthier.
Itīll be better.
Could 008 strings worsen the sound quality?

williamdllr
03-11-2010, 04:55 AM
well can she read a electrical diagram?

well kinda a diagram.

its really not hard to do what so ever.

You can do it if you dont let it intimidate you

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 05:05 AM
I would prefer to do it because the luthier cost is 50 euros, but I have fear.
I just have calling to my wife and she says that she is able to do. She only need information.
And with the strings change, is it very difficult to adjust?

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 05:13 AM
I am thinking to bring it to a luthier.
Itīll be better.
Could 008 strings worsen the sound quality?

Depends on what you call worse. Lighter strings have a softer attack and generate a little bit smaller output electrically, and they generally have a thinner or more delicate sound with a smaller sustain. But these differences are more audible the cleaner your tone is. And even then, some people are able use these attributes to their advantage.

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 05:26 AM
In this case, I am going to put the finnest for improving confort. I imagine that itīll be better for bends and vibratos, wonīt it?
Do you know any other store cheaper than Thomann in this product?

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 05:32 AM
I would prefer to do it because the luthier cost is 50 euros, but I have fear.
I just have calling to my wife and she says that she is able to do. She only need information.
And with the strings change, is it very difficult to adjust?

Ok, for setting up the guitar for the smaller strings, you will need to make a new nut: http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Nuts,_saddles/a-nuts.html

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/nuts.htm

Adjust the truss rod: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm

Set up intonation: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/Electric_Guitar_Intonation.htm

Set the action: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/Electric_Guitar_SetUp.htm

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 05:44 AM
In this case, I am going to put the finnest for improving confort. I imagine that itīll be better for bends and vibratos, wonīt it?
Do you know any other store cheaper than Thomann in this product?

Yes, it will be very comfortable, almost like playing rubberbands. lol

I've just searched the web for a lower price in Europe but it seems to be 119 Euros anywhere else except Thomann.

The USA based online stores have it for a bit cheaper, I don't know if you would get taxed for them, I know I would.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEMHOTRODDED

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300030

http://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Duncan-Rodded-Humbucker-Pickups/dp/B0007TYPYQ

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 05:51 AM
Ok, for setting up the guitar for the smaller strings, you will need to make a new nut: http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Nuts,_saddles/a-nuts.html

Why I need a new nut?
When I bought the guitar, the strings were finner. And I didnīt change the nut when I put the flat wound strings fater.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 05:58 AM
Why I need a new nut?
When I bought the guitar, the strings were finner. And I didnīt change the nut when I put the flat wound strings fater.

Hmm... ideally you would have needed to cut the nut slots wider for the bigger strings to begin with. This way they might not sit perfectly in the nut slots or they're being too tight, but I can't comment on it since I can't see your guitar. You haven't set the truss rod and the action/intonation either?
Anyway, if your nut is still in working shape, you might be able to play the .008s right away. Assuming that the guitar came with the usual .009 gauge set (they usually do out of the factory). But if the nut slots are being too low or wide now, you might get a buzzing sound.

What size are the flatwounds you have on your guitar right now?

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 06:37 AM
They are D'Addario 012.
Congrats for your Blog.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 07:17 AM
They are D'Addario 012.
Congrats for your Blog.

Well if your old nut turns out to be unusable for the .008s, you guys can still get a new one for cheap, there are even pre slotted nuts that you just have to widen and deepen the slots a bit. But maybe it'll work right away as is.

Thank you very much for your comment, I appreciate it.

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Would be bad thing to maintain the old?
It only is from September, and I have been three months without playing the guitar.
I think it could be quite good.
What do you think?

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 11:12 AM
If you haven't used it much, and the pressure of strings didn't widen the grooves in the nut, it will work.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/Nuts/NutsViews/nutslots.gif

But if it's like the C in the picture, it's too wide (the one in the pic also has a flat bottom). The A would be the ideal one, the rest are flawed ones again.

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 01:48 PM
I was just in the guitar store closest to my house.
They have seen my Ibanez and the say that, at the momment, is not neccesary to change the nut.
But I have a doubt with the strings changing. I have flat wound 13-52. And now I want to put 09-42. So, I have to adjust the neck, because the current tension is harder than the new will be. How can I do this? Which things I have to be careful with?
Thanks again.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 02:04 PM
You're welcome Aceituna. I'm glad you don't have to make a new nut, it can take precious hours to perfect one.

For the string gauge change, I don't know if you've adjusted the truss rod when you put the 13s on, but anyway, here's the article about how to set it properly: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm

It won't be a problem, and when the truss rod is fine, you'll have to intonate the saddles (http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/Electric_Guitar_Intonation.htm) too. I assume you have some kind of tuner for that, it helps a lot.

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I have decided to change the strings now.
I wait for the next string changing for putting the pickups.
I just finished the adjustement.
I have downloaded the tension on the neck.
I have given only a quarter turn to the thread.
Later I tuned the guitar and I verify all the notes along the neck. I readjust the tuning when this intermediate notes was disadjusted.
I am very happy. Itīs my first time I make this kind of adjustement.
I only feel a little noise in the first position of fifth string.
How could I to solve this. Anyway, I am waiting the neck reaction. Till two hours Iīll check all again.
By the way, what do you think about DR strings? Just the LT-9.
And PRS guitars? I didnīt know this guitars and there was several of them (very pretty) in the guitar store.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Cool, I'm glad it worked out fine! Buzz at the first fret can be bad news though... sounds like some kind of nut problem, but not sure yet. 5th string, you mean the A string, right?

Let's check out the nut action for that string the following way. Press down the 5th string at the 3rd fret.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSpages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/NutActionViews/press.JPG

Now look closely and check if there's a small gap under the bottom of that string and the first fret:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSpages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/NutActionViews/6th1.JPG

If it has, your nut action is good. If it touches the top of that fret though, it's too close.

If you have problems seeing that tiny gap there, just try to tap on top of the middle of the string between the nut and the 3rd fret where you're pressing it down, this way:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSpages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/NutActionViews/tap.JPG

If you feel some kind of clicking there as the string is hitting against the fret, there was a small gap which is good again.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 04:31 PM
By the way, what do you think about DR strings? Just the LT-9.
And PRS guitars? I didnīt know this guitars and there was several of them (very pretty) in the guitar store.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Those DR strings are good, you'll like them.

PRS guitars are high quality instruments. Some people consider them to be too fancy and nothing exceptional sound-wise, but that doesn't mean they are not good. They can be pretty pricey though, depending on the model.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 05:08 PM
If the nut action is good, let's check out the string action too. Don't press the strings down anywhere this time, and measure the distance between the top of the 12th fret and the bottom of the low E string. Then repeat it with the high E string too:

http://www.gear-vault.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/guitar-action.jpg

If it's around 1.5 - 2 mm, we're good to go.

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Let's check out the nut action for that string the following way. Press down the 5th string at the 3rd fret.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSpages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/NutActionViews/press.JPG

Now look closely and check if there's a small gap under the bottom of that string and the first fret:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSpages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/NutActionViews/6th1.JPG

If it has, your nut action is good. If it touches the top of that fret though, it's too close.

It has.
I raised the bridge at six string side. The noise have almost disappeared. But I would like less action.
I am going to check the feeling playing next days.

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 05:19 PM
If the nut action is good, let's check out the string action too. Don't press the strings down anywhere this time, and measure the distance between the top of the 12th fret and the bottom of the low E string. Then repeat it with the high E string too:

http://www.gear-vault.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/guitar-action.jpg

If it's around 1.5 - 2 mm, we're good to go.
I have no tools at home for this.
Iīm going to disassemble a flexometer.

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 05:20 PM
It is about 1.8-2 mm.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 05:24 PM
It has.
I raised the bridge at six string side. The noise have almost disappeared. But I would like less action.
I am going to check the feeling playing next days.

Good! Maybe the neck is still being too straight or getting a back bow now, we'll see once it settles. For measuring the action, just use a piece of cardboard and mark it with a sharp pencil, then measure the distance you marked with a ruler.

Aceituna
03-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks a lot for for help.
I feel sure and itīs my first time doing this.
Thanks again.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 05:28 PM
It is about 1.8-2 mm.

That sounds perfect. We'll see how the neck behaves. Do you still have a neck relief? You can measure that by pressing string down at the first and the 15th fret where the neck joins the body, checking gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 6th and 7th fret. You need just a tiny little gap there too, but the strings shouldn't touch the top of the frets.

Tinderwet
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks a lot for for help.
I feel sure and itīs my first time doing this.
Thanks again.

You're welcome, I'm glad you feel that way. It's a comfortable feeling when we are able to set up our guitars.

Aceituna
03-12-2010, 04:46 AM
I was playing this morning and I am amazed with the adjustement. I donīt know if it is due to strings or not. It is the best string changing from I bought my guitar. Three strings were tunned and others were lightly untunned. When I previously change my strings, I had to be 4 or 5 days tunning the guitar each hour (more or less) until the settlement. And, on the other hand, now, I have read the string instructions inside the string box, which said: "Also, it is important to note that DR round core strings need far less stretching to stabilize than standard strings." ....."Try not stretching your DRīs at all as few times as possible". Baring in mind this (and the adjustement), I hoped to be 1 week tunning a lot. I didnīt believe too much the instructions, but the guitar is tunned better than ever. I am very happy with the adjustement and with the string. Both have been a discovering for me.
Thanks a lot for all of your help.

Tinderwet
03-12-2010, 06:45 AM
That's great. Did the slight buzz of the 5th string at the first fret go away? You're welcome, I'm glad I could help.

Aceituna
03-12-2010, 07:18 AM
The buzz go away.