Has anyone else heard the new Against Me?

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else heard the new Against Me?

I_Pwn
03-13-2010, 01:35 PM
blarg

kaptink
03-13-2010, 04:23 PM
I heard it leaked but I haven't been that enthusiastic about getting it. Any good?

neidnarb11890
03-13-2010, 06:11 PM
I didn't even know they were working on new stuff.

lolmnt
03-14-2010, 12:15 AM
It's good. But the people who cry "sellout" aren't gunna like it.

I_Pwn
03-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't really like it that much. I dunno, it just sounds like a bunch of un-catchy arena rock songs to me. Maybe it will grow on me over time.

lolmnt
03-14-2010, 12:48 PM
It reminds me of the Replacements

BostonLacrosse
03-14-2010, 03:14 PM
It reminds me of the Replacements

i would rather just listen to the replacements :/

I_Pwn
03-14-2010, 09:50 PM
I think it sounds a lot more like Against Me! tried to write American Idiot.

askingforit176
03-15-2010, 01:12 PM
+1
I find the older stuff crazy enjoyable. New Wave was pretty good too

nashawa
03-15-2010, 02:25 PM
I think it sounds a lot more like Against Me! tried to write American Idiot.
I'd be interested in hearing that.

lolmnt
03-15-2010, 02:27 PM
It kind of loses steam after a couple of listens. Still a solid pop rock album.

nashawa
03-15-2010, 02:32 PM
How would you rate it compared to other recent releases by them?

lolmnt
03-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Better than New Wave. Not as good as Searching. But it could be as good. I've only listened to it a few times.

I_Pwn
03-16-2010, 11:22 PM
The Disco Before the Breakdown > The Eternal Cowboy > Reinventing Axl Rose > Searching for a Former Clarity > White Crosses > New Wave

The Original Cowboy is great, but and is probably better than The Eternal Cowboy, but I'm not gonna count that.

neidnarb11890
03-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Crime As Forgiven By Against Me > The Acoustic EP = As The Eternal Cowboy > Reinventing Axl Rose

I have The Disco Before the Breakdown, but I've only listened to it once or twice. Searching for a Former Clarity had some cool songs, but just as many dull ones. I never even listened all the way through New Wave. In fact, I haven't listened to Against Me! at all in a quite some time. Maybe I will tomorrow, after I listen to DKM in celebration of my Irish heritage (lulz).

I_Pwn
03-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Instead of listening to DKM you should put on TDBTD. It's one of my favorite 7"s.

I Dont Belong
03-17-2010, 01:29 AM
I am interested in hearing the new album but Im going to wait for it to come out. From what Ive heard so far, I probably wont like it as much as their older stuff.

misfitsdisciple
03-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Imo this album makes New Wave look like Reinventing Axl Rose... It's just like they're trying to write music for the masses, when they should be writing music that makes them happy. I guess if this music is making them happy they should just stop playing venues like Common Grounds (Gainesville) and all the other little places that their huge crowds would no longer hold. I would say this is a sad day for everyone, but I don't really like against me that much.

Verdict: Meh.

DigUpHerBones
03-17-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm a big Against Me! fan (well, of their older stuff). I listened to the song 'I Was a Teenage Anarchist' off the leak. It made me very sad indeed. I mean, hell, this is a band that wrote the lyrics 'baby, I'm an anarchist, and you're a spineless liberal, we marched together for the eight hour day and held hands in the streets of Seattle, but when it came time to throw bricks through that Starbucks window you left me all alone', now with a song that goes 'I was a teenage anarchist, but the revolution was a lie'.

lookpizza
03-17-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm a big Against Me! fan (well, of their older stuff). I listened to the song 'I Was a Teenage Anarchist' off the leak. It made me very sad indeed. I mean, hell, this is a band that wrote the lyrics 'baby, I'm an anarchist, and you're a spineless liberal, we marched together for the eight hour day and held hands in the streets of Seattle, but when it came time to throw bricks through that Starbucks window you left me all alone', now with a song that goes 'I was a teenage anarchist, but the revolution was a lie'.

How big are you? 6/7 feet tall? 200-300 lbs? With my new patented diet I can have you shorter and thinner in no time. Just PM if you're interested. You don't have to live your life that way.

lolmnt
03-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm a big Against Me! fan (well, of their older stuff). I listened to the song 'I Was a Teenage Anarchist' off the leak. It made me very sad indeed. I mean, hell, this is a band that wrote the lyrics 'baby, I'm an anarchist, and you're a spineless liberal, we marched together for the eight hour day and held hands in the streets of Seattle, but when it came time to throw bricks through that Starbucks window you left me all alone', now with a song that goes 'I was a teenage anarchist, but the revolution was a lie'.That song came out when Tom was 20. He's almost 30 now. You have to expect his morals to change in that time span. Plus he's been saying that he's no longer an anarchist for a long time now.

RockThe40oz
03-17-2010, 05:27 PM
They played that song when I saw them live, and it was alright, but kind of boring. If that's an indication of how the whole CD is, I think I'll pass.

BostonLacrosse
03-18-2010, 01:38 AM
That song came out when Tom was 20. He's almost 30 now. You have to expect his morals to change in that time span. Plus he's been saying that he's no longer an anarchist for a long time now.

yea, but its still awkward to see these young anarcho-folk punks turn into corporate musicians, at least for me it is.

DigUpHerBones
03-18-2010, 08:47 AM
yea, but its still awkward to see these young anarcho-folk punks turn into corporate musicians, at least for me it is.

Quite.
And you don't really have to expect someone's morals to change, and of course it can be sad when they do. I know people around 60 who became anarchists or hippies when they were young and their values are still strong, if not stronger than they were. Against Me! haven't sounded good to me for a while now, but this record is like a cut-off point. Having read the lyrics, I just can't relate.

Against Him?
03-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Quite.
And you don't really have to expect someone's morals to change, and of course it can be sad when they do. I know people around 60 who became anarchists or hippies when they were young and their values are still strong, if not stronger than they were. Against Me! haven't sounded good to me for a while now, but this record is like a cut-off point. Having read the lyrics, I just can't relate.

values and morals and belief systems don't pay bills.

And they REALLY don't buy coke.

Point is anarchy is an idealistic pipe dream that would lead to far more violence then you can imagine. Every ass hole in the world with a gun doesn't get arrested for shooting bitches anymore? Yea that would be awesome.
Most punks just grow up after a while and get over the whole anarchy thing. At some point you realize that coke in your nose and a beer in your hand feels a whole lot better then raising your finger to the man.

werty22
03-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Uh oh...

GoodCharloteSux
03-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Sounds like they just grew up a bit, and every major musical-socio political movement is a lie, atleast they don't make music thats a lie and appeases fans just to do so. Haven't heard the leak, just found it on youtube gonna give a couple songs a run.

Edit: why does this sound like Billy Idol lol

Edit 2: whats with the tempo's...ehhh

Edit 3: this sounds like an 80's pop album lol I mean I could careless if they lost the punk but this is weird, like didnt see this coming lol I really liked new wave

Edit 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ot_katYYiU

lolmnt
03-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Quite.
And you don't really have to expect someone's morals to change, and of course it can be sad when they do. I know people around 60 who became anarchists or hippies when they were young and their values are still strong, if not stronger than they were. Against Me! haven't sounded good to me for a while now, but this record is like a cut-off point. Having read the lyrics, I just can't relate.That's fine. But I also think it's silly to expect somebody almost 30 to have the same morals that they did when they were 20.

But I don't want to open up a can o' worms here.

lookpizza
03-18-2010, 03:05 PM
values and morals and belief systems don't pay bills.

And they REALLY don't buy coke.

Point is anarchy is an idealistic pipe dream that would lead to far more violence then you can imagine. Every ass hole in the world with a gun doesn't get arrested for shooting bitches anymore? Yea that would be awesome.
Most punks just grow up after a while and get over the whole anarchy thing. At some point you realize that coke in your nose and a beer in your hand feels a whole lot better then raising your finger to the man.

:mad:

RockThe40oz
03-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Cool. Another ignorant fool that thinks anarchy's only ideal is the absence of police.

askingforit176
03-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Its seems like. Probably half of the punk bands don't stay punk, they either go metal or alt. Mostly the alt. I guess against me! Is no exception to the trend

Against Him?
03-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Cool. Another ignorant fool that thinks anarchy's only ideal is the absence of police.

Yea i know there's more to it then that but it's not plausible. Hence the idealistic pipe-dream part. It requires everyone to be good people and work together and the problems is humans are dirty shitty assholes.

Against Him?
03-29-2010, 09:16 PM
btw anyone know where to get the new against me?

GoodCharloteSux
03-29-2010, 11:47 PM
^ ive been looking, cant find it myself, its pretty bad but i hope itts a grower