Black Prince.

PDA

View Full Version : Black Prince.

BrianApocalypse
03-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi everyone,

It's a proud day indeed, as the second COLD MEGAN record is finished!

It's called BLACK PRINCE, as just like 2008's KATZENGESANG it's by-and-large a compilation of songs that I've written over the course of 7 or so years.

It's got a nice raw production, consistently catchy hooks, and some very experimental passages.

I've uploaded three of the thirteen songs; album opener "Skeletal Remnants", 6-minute epic "Bosnia And Her Penis" - written about transvestism in the Soviet Bloc and "Social Retard", with lyrics and lead vocals contributed by 'Bareback' Stiv Wallace.

So, to my good friends at the punk forum... enjoy! :kiss:

www.myspace.com/coldmegan

nashawa
03-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Just listened to them.

I really enjoy Skeletal Remnants.
:cheers:

lavazza
03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Social Retard is great, the chorus sounds like 'Glaubensbekenntnis' by Canalterror. Social Retard and Skeletal Remnants sound straighter than the stuff from Katzengesang.
IŽd put a more dominant, impulsive root bass under Bosnia and her Penis, then it gets more like a Hymn. All around it sound like a mixture of Not Anymore by the Dead Boys and Wally :)

werty22
03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
I like Social Retard. The riffin' reminded me of the Raw Power-era Stooges and overall it had a nice "Wart Hog" (Ramones) feel. I think you're good at punxier stuff like this. Maybe you should do it more often.

Skeletal Remnants iz classic CM.

I really liked B&HP from about 4:00 to 5:00.

I hesitate to say anything about the mix because you obviously know what you're doing, but I think it would be beneficial to give the vocals a little more presence. With your low range, it's easy for the rhythm guitar to overpower it. Also the drums seem a little quiet at times, though not as much as on some of your previous recordings.

nashawa
03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
I hesitate to say anything about the mix because you obviously know what you're doing, but I think it would be beneficial to give the vocals a little more presence.
I agree with this.

lolmnt
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
I listened to the first song before I left for work. It was good.

RockThe40oz
03-15-2010, 06:19 PM
I agree with this.
Giving your own vocals lots of presence is one of the hardest things for me to do since it makes me feel like a total twat to hear myself sing... let alone sing loudly.

nashawa
03-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Giving your own vocals lots of presence is one of the hardest things for me to do since it makes me feel like a total twat to hear myself sing... let alone sing loudly.
That's the problem I have when I mix my own stuff as well.

werty22
03-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Me three. :confus:

BrianApocalypse
03-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

On this one I tried to croon a bit more, rather than project a head voice an octave higher than is really comfortable, like I did on Katzengesang. The downside being is that my voice like that doesn't really fit the rock format. Or, more accurately, it does fit the rock format, but it's the same frequencies so it really doesn't work so well.

But the plus side is at the end of the day I now know not to croon unless you're a baritone or tenor, and not to use your chest voice unless you are playing funk or soul. Ave Macht Frei came out OK though, I'll upload that to UG when I get back.

I think it's a reasonable sound though, considering the limitations of budget software and a lack of a appropriate personnel. I don't think much of the guitar parts though, they're by-and-large a bit lacklustre. Some of the cleaner songs are OK though, and most of the solos are reasonable.

Let's see how things go with Cold Megan Mk.2...

Prince
03-15-2010, 09:23 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38

promote YOUR band

iwannabesedated
03-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Not bad Brian not bad at all. Love the vocals.

Also, it's hard to not like something relating to "Kitten Skull****"

DempseyPunk
03-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Nice work. Right up my alley :cheers: