The Douglas Adams Thread

PDA

View Full Version : The Douglas Adams Thread

webbtje
03-16-2010, 07:33 AM
This will probably fail miserably like most of my other threads - but this time it will be because you're all philistines.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what Kensai is for and why he is here, he will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

"Life," said Dead-Fish dolefully, "loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it."

Anyway, RIP Douglas Adams.

LuciferS4m
03-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Great thread! One of the most genius sections out of the hitchiker's guide in my view:

The Babel fish is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy recieved not from its own carrier but from those around it, It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. the practical upshot of this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any language.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anhthing so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes like this : "I refuse to prove that I exist", says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But", says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? it could not have evolved by chance. it proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear", says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh that was easy" says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing."

Rest in peace Douglas

davrossss
03-16-2010, 08:14 AM
I'm so depressed :(

KTFM
03-16-2010, 08:29 AM
I preferred 'Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul' personally, but that is probably just me...

kickstartkiss
03-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Great thread! One of the most genius sections out of the hitchiker's guide in my view:

The Babel fish is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy recieved not from its own carrier but from those around it, It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. the practical upshot of this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any language.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anhthing so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes like this : "I refuse to prove that I exist", says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But", says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? it could not have evolved by chance. it proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear", says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh that was easy" says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing."

Rest in peace Douglas

im not a fan, but i had a radio adaption, and i love that part.

also the part when the whale falls out of the sky.

alfajores
03-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Great Thread!
this is something I've always felt to be SO[B] true:

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job"

Prototype4342
03-16-2010, 09:17 AM
i'm reading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency right now. I just finished the Hitchhiker's guide series. Does anyone know if the meaning of liff fits in a series somewhere? or is it just a seperate book?

webbtje
03-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Separate book.

Prototype4342
03-16-2010, 10:01 AM
well that's good, for some reason it felt like i was skipping it to read Dirk Gently's. I'm looking forward to reading the Long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul. I've heard good things about it.

Al-InWonderland
03-16-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm so depressed :(

Life? Don't talk to me about life :(

Baby Strange
03-16-2010, 10:04 AM
i'm reading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency right now. I just finished the Hitchhiker's guide series. Does anyone know if the meaning of liff fits in a series somewhere? or is it just a seperate book?
It's a sort of dictionary of words that should exist e.g. Shoeburyness ("The vague uncomfortable feeling you get when sitting on a seat which is still warm from somebody else's bottom")

defia
03-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I am thoroughly confused.

and who is this ken sai dude?

sock_demon
03-16-2010, 10:09 AM
All I know about Mr. Adams is everything I've watched from Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy.

amidoinitrite?

JacobTheMe
03-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Hello. Would you like to hear some of my poetry?

andy_woodhead
03-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Great Thread!
this is something I've always felt to be SO[B] true:

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job"

:haha: :haha: Without a doubt.

McTodd
03-16-2010, 11:15 AM
I am thoroughly confused.

and who is this ken sai dude?
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/seanachie/NotSureIfSerious.jpg
All I know about Mr. Adams is everything I've watched from Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy.

amidoinitrite?

urdoinitrong

Zox
03-16-2010, 11:28 AM
I've actually read the entire hitchhikers guide (no, i didn't give up after 3 books)
Great series, dude was a genius.

Carswell98
03-16-2010, 07:01 PM
I've finished all of Adams' Hitchhiker's books, they are my absolute favorite, I haven't read Colfer's newest take though, I'm a little hesitant, even though I do like his work.

I'm going to start Dirk Gently one of these day if I ever get around to it, but my library doesn't carry it, so I'll have to find it elsewhere

meh!
03-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Never found him that funny. read hitchhiker's guide. funny in places, not life changing.

och well

Demon Wolf
03-16-2010, 07:09 PM
I loove the short story The Private Life Of Genghis Khan.

http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/980707-07-s.html

:haha :haha :haha