Little Big Muff vs. Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker

PDA

View Full Version : Little Big Muff vs. Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker

MoreThanAMemory
03-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Which one should I get for both Guitar AND Bass? I want to get just one pedal that I can switch between the two instruments. Which one would best suit my needs? The song at the top of my head that I'd use the pedal for is: for guitar, "Mess Of Me" by Switchfoot, and for bass "Hysteria" by Muse. Thanks in advance!

Hesh_09
03-19-2010, 05:01 PM
If you have the extra $20 get the Tone Wicker. However, the big box Muff has way more mojo. Just something to consider. :p:

Benguitar2
03-19-2010, 05:17 PM
However, the big box Muff has way more mojo. Just something to consider. :p:

No offense to you, But mojo is crap.

Mojo doesn't effect guitar tone what-so-ever.

Instead, your "mojo" just takes up a butt-load more space on your pedal board.

/rant :rolleyes: :D

I'd say go for the tone wicker one, My good friend has it and he loves it.

MoreThanAMemory
03-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Are the only differences between the two the Tone and Wicker switches? How are they sound wise?

Hesh_09
03-19-2010, 06:36 PM
No offense to you, But mojo is crap.

Mojo doesn't effect guitar tone what-so-ever.

Instead, your "mojo" just takes up a butt-load more space on your pedal board.

/rant :rolleyes: :D

I'd say go for the tone wicker one, My good friend has it and he loves it.

:haha: It's cool, you make a good point about the board size. Which is why I recommended the Tone Wicker before I said anything else.

^The LBM and Tone Wicker are the same circuit with the exception of the added switches. There is a gearmanndude shoot out of all three on Youtube.

Benguitar2
03-19-2010, 07:49 PM
:haha: It's cool, you make a good point about the board size. Which is why I recommended the Tone Wicker before I said anything else.

^The LBM and Tone Wicker are the same circuit with the exception of the added switches. There is a gearmanndude shoot out of all three on Youtube.

:five:

boboguitar
03-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Well, the Tone Wicker is just a Little Big Muff plus some switches, so if you have the money for the Tone Wicker, go for it.

MoreThanAMemory
03-20-2010, 02:11 AM
Alright, thanks guys.

Melodic_Rocker
03-20-2010, 03:12 AM
The best one for guitar and bass is a Sovtek Big Muff. It preserves the low end much better than the NYC Muffs.

Sid McCall
03-20-2010, 04:14 AM
Dudes. Seriously. The Bass Big Muff is what you want. It's modeled after a vintage muff so it's absolutely killer with guitar, and it has a wet/dry mix and bass boost switch so you can get a great bass tone too. No matter what instrument is in my hands (aside from drumsticks) that pedal is at my feet. Instant gilmour tone on guitar, and instant muse tone on bass. And it's a really decent price (I think I paid 70?).

Darkflame
03-20-2010, 05:29 PM
i haven't tried the bass one, but i've played the tone wicker and i loved it for guitar

as for bass, i have the NYC one and i had the russian muff (but my bassist lost it last week, i'm still pissed) and the russian one sounded great on bass

rhcp_freak
03-20-2010, 06:14 PM
However, the big box Muff has way more mojo. Just something to consider. :p:
Even though it bears no resemblance to the original Triangle Muff and takes up even more space. :rolleyes:

I personally don't like the sound of the Tone Wicker Muffs, and I think you should go with a good clone (i.e. SUF) unless you really need the extra tonal options from the Tone Wicker.

Hesh_09
03-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Even though it bears no resemblance to the original Triangle Muff and takes up even more space. :rolleyes:

Already been through that. :poke:

I wasn't serious, which is why I put the tongue smiley after it. :p:

rhcp_freak
03-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Already been through that. :poke:

I wasn't serious, which is why I put the tongue smiley after it. :p:
Well I was just kinda adding that the Big Muff didn't look like it does now until 1976. :p:

I would totally save up for an SUF seeing as they take up less board space and are built extremely well. The Little Muff sounds kinda different to the Big Muff.

I wonder if Matt (SUF) will do a Tone Bypass Muff clone.

Lil Macker
03-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Dudes. Seriously. The Bass Big Muff is what you want. It's modeled after a vintage muff so it's absolutely killer with guitar, and it has a wet/dry mix and bass boost switch so you can get a great bass tone too. No matter what instrument is in my hands (aside from drumsticks) that pedal is at my feet. Instant gilmour tone on guitar, and instant muse tone on bass. And it's a really decent price (I think I paid 70?).
Modeled after the Russian Big Muff ;)

But Russian Big Muffs are cool, I'd maybe look out for one of them or get the Bass Muff. I'd get one, but I've just spent a fair bit on a vintage Big Muff.

Jhachey22
03-20-2010, 09:12 PM

I personally don't like the sound of the Tone Wicker Muffs, and I think you should go with a good clone (i.e. SUF) unless you really need the extra tonal options from the Tone Wicker.
This.