Licensed Floyd Rose and Floyd rose Special

PDA

View Full Version : Licensed Floyd Rose and Floyd rose Special

Himelnator
03-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Is there a difference between a licensed and a special floyd rose, ik that licensed ones aren't made by floyd rose or schaller or any of those guys, but what about specials? This will help with my guitar research cuz my Schecter vs Jackson poll didn't do much

sodomize her
03-21-2010, 05:18 AM
Is there a difference between a licensed and a special floyd rose, ik that licensed ones aren't made by floyd rose or schaller or any of those guys, but what about specials? This will help with my guitar research cuz my Schecter vs Jackson poll didn't do much

depends on what you mean by special. from all the lic versions i love the single locking feature. it's very comforting.
now, there is two; the standard non-recessed vs. the recessed Floyd. i would watch out for that. if you got a JacksonUSA go with the recessed floyd at 92mm in width.
in terms of radius, altho bridges come in only one (10), nuts may be in 9, 12, or 17. check with the seller.

MrFlibble
03-21-2010, 05:54 AM
Licensed is any double locking bridge which uses the original Floyd design but is made completely separately from the actual Floyd Rose company. There are hundreds of different 'licensed Floyds' and there is no real way of telling which are any good.

The FR Special is a Floyd handled by Schaller but cast and assembled in Korea. It is made in the exact same way as an OFR using the exact same materials other than it has a slightly smaller zinc sustain block and in previous years it had zinc saddles too. It is not considered to be a licensed Floyd Rose as it is made under the Floyd Rose (Schaller-operated) name. It is an official Floyd Rose unit (not to be confused with the term Original Floyd Rose, which is the version made in Germany). Floyd Rose/Schaller also have the FR-1000 made which is the same as the FR Special but with the full sustain block that an OFR has, making it an exact copy of the OFR in every way. The FR-1000 and FR Special are the only two non-OFR Floyd units that can be marketed without specifying 'licensed'. As far as I'm aware the FR-1000 is only found on ESP-LTD Deluxe 1000/1001 series guitars while the FR Special is found on ESP-LTD Standard series, Schecter and Epiphone guitars.

hminh87
03-21-2010, 08:14 AM
If you're on a budget and have plan to change the sustain block to one of your choice then FR Special is the perfect candidate. There are some massive sustain blocks out there which gives way better performance than even the one on the Original Floyd Rose.

sodomize her
03-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Licensed is any double locking bridge which uses the original Floyd design but is made completely separately from the actual Floyd Rose company. There are hundreds of different 'licensed Floyds' and there is no real way of telling which are any good.

The FR Special is a Floyd handled by Schaller but cast and assembled in Korea. It is made in the exact same way as an OFR using the exact same materials other than it has a slightly smaller zinc sustain block and in previous years it had zinc saddles too. It is not considered to be a licensed Floyd Rose as it is made under the Floyd Rose (Schaller-operated) name. It is an official Floyd Rose unit (not to be confused with the term Original Floyd Rose, which is the version made in Germany). Floyd Rose/Schaller also have the FR-1000 made which is the same as the FR Special but with the full sustain block that an OFR has, making it an exact copy of the OFR in every way. The FR-1000 and FR Special are the only two non-OFR Floyd units that can be marketed without specifying 'licensed'. As far as I'm aware the FR-1000 is only found on ESP-LTD Deluxe 1000/1001 series guitars while the FR Special is found on ESP-LTD Standard series, Schecter and Epiphone guitars.
cool. i take it Schaller floyds would have better quality then too.

ttimeshredder
03-21-2010, 06:15 PM
So really, the Floyd Rose 1000 is still a pretty nice tremolo? Like if you picked up two identical guitars, one with an OFR and one with a FR-1000, would you really be able to even tell a difference?

MrFlibble
03-21-2010, 06:23 PM
cool. i take it Schaller floyds would have better quality then too.
So really, the Floyd Rose 1000 is still a pretty nice tremolo? Like if you picked up two identical guitars, one with an OFR and one with a FR-1000, would you really be able to even tell a difference?The answer to both of these posts is simply "only if you're racist and don't think a Korean guy could operate a piece of machinery as well as a German guy."

There is no - no - difference between the FR-1000 and OFR other than the nationality of the person who pressed the 'on' button on the casting machines. The FR Special is the same deal except for the sustain block, which is very easy and cheap to replace.

Dave_Mc
03-21-2010, 07:26 PM
i thought the ping could have floyd rose on it, too. And i've seen frt1000s on the post-2006 jackson sl3.

MrFlibble
03-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Ping, possibly, I have never been within twenty miles of anything they've ever made so I dunno about them. Jackson, I doubt it's the same FR-1000 that ESP uses and which is named for their LTD 1000 models, but I wouldn't be hugely surprised.

Dave_Mc
03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
i don't think it's named for the 1000 models, edwardses use them, too.

never been near a ping either, just going by what I've read online etc. :)

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/specSheet.php?product=2914000854

(that says "2000", but i think that's just the colour- chrome is 1000, black 2000 and gold 3000, i think)

oneblackened
03-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Yep - SL3, A bunch of Charvels, an the LTD 1000/1001 series have FR 1000 series bridges.

The FR special is not an LFR, but it's not an OFR either- it's somewhere in between.

Dave_Mc
03-21-2010, 08:36 PM
ah, charvel too, good call, i forgot about those.

oneblackened
03-21-2010, 08:39 PM
I want one. I don't love FR's but they just look so damned cool. Problem is I don't have $1000 lying around plus there are other things I want (ie a new computer).

Dave_Mc
03-21-2010, 08:43 PM
they're a bit too dear here, if you ask me (849, i think). If they were nearer the US price (649?), I might consider one. As it is, no.

joonhoahn01
03-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Licenced: any bridges made using the FR design

Licenced bridges will have different saddles. The saddle shapes can be anything from round to triangular. Some licenced bridges will actually look like the original Floyds themselves. Basically what a licenced Floyd is only that it has been approved by the Floyd Rose company itself and its patents. They will have the standards expected from Floyd Rose but everything else can completely differ from one to another. The makers include Schaller (like I said, Schaller doesn't make official Floyds by now although they did), GraphTech, Gotoh, and Ibanez (now it's called an Edge Zero).

Special Series: sort of a licenced but made by Floyd Rose (No, Floyd Rose runs on its own. The guys are now making their own guitars!)

The Special Series Floyd Rose is a type of bridge made by Floyd Rose itself. It may sound better than the original Floyds but it's not. What Special Series basically is leads to the fact that the bridges are only official versions of licenced Floyds, which means you can say Special Floyds are just another licenced Floyds, but made by Floyd Rose itself officially.

Still, licenced Floyds are lacking on some of the features that the originals are not, and since the Special series is made by Floyd Rose itself, most likely, the Special Series will have a slightly better quality.

If I was you, though, I would buy the guitar with a Special Series Floyd and replace the saddle assembly to a GraphTech StringSaver set. The Special Series is more likely to give off more in dive bombs and pull-ups while the StringSaver is known to prevent frequent string breakage in an instant.

The StringSaver set should be available on MusiciansFriend.com. Those particular saddles will have triangular mounting blocks to make it easier for you to distinguish inbetween.

trueamerican
03-05-2011, 05:59 PM
This thread is a year old. I'm pretty sure his question was answered, and if not, I doubt he was crossing his fingers for a year waiting for an answer. Don't bump dead threads.

joonhoahn01
11-03-2011, 07:15 PM
This thread is a year old. I'm pretty sure his question was answered, and if not, I doubt he was crossing his fingers for a year waiting for an answer. Don't bump dead threads.

NOT DEAD, If he still waits for an answer, then let him.