Broken headstock on epiphone les paul

PDA

View Full Version : Broken headstock on epiphone les paul

YouAreNext
03-25-2010, 05:04 AM
It was a common day in a studio and i was holding my guitar when the strap went away and the whole guitar felt down to the floor with the headstock.....As you can imagine the headstock (and a small part of the back of the neck) was seperated from the guitar:( ... I was relieved when i heard that i can be fixed.....Can it be fixed? Will there be any differences ? And how much is it going to cost? Thanks for your time... :(

ibrahimasood
03-25-2010, 05:18 AM
please post pictuyres so we can see teh damagege and secondly is it a Epi LP speciel, studio, custo, standard?

YouAreNext
03-25-2010, 05:23 AM
it is standard...Ok i 'll try to post pictures..... it is the first time i am going to do it so it is going to take me a while

YouAreNext
03-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Ehm... here it is

YouAreNext
03-25-2010, 05:57 AM
And the neck..

YouAreNext
03-25-2010, 05:58 AM
So......Can it be fixed?

GilbertsPinky
03-25-2010, 06:03 AM
I can only see how it could be glued, but i don't know enough about it for it to be a decent enough job for it to be the same guitar it was before it broke. I take it the neck isn't bolt on?

YouAreNext
03-25-2010, 06:07 AM
Ehm.... What do you mean bolt on?
Can I upload more pictures?

GilbertsPinky
03-25-2010, 06:23 AM
If you look at the back where the neck connects to the body, is there a plate with bolts through it? This is where the neck and the body are bolted together. If the neck and body look like one piece of wood it's either set-neck or neck-thru. If it's a bolt-on neck it would be easy to just buy a new neck and bolt it on. If not i have a suspicion it's going to be hard to fix.

shredtil'yadead
03-25-2010, 06:37 AM
nah dude those are set necks

The Switch
03-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Yes it can be rapaired. But the result, well that all depends on who's doing it. Some guitar shops can't even glue a nut straight. Some can do it so you won't even see that it was ever broken. Try to find out who's got the best reputation in your city, go there and see if he can show you an example of similar repairs he's done.

YouAreNext
03-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Well.... I know 2 guys that repair guitars.....the one is pretty young with small experience i guess but everyone in my city goes there.... and the other one is arround 60 years old with a lot of experience i guess and because he is a family friend he may do it for free..... which one should i pick?

johnro6659
03-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Getting it fixed with a clean break like that is fairly easy. Don't touch the break too much with you hands/fingers. The oil from your fingers gets in the wood and can effect the glue joint. The cost of the repair can vary depending on how good you want it to look after. Most people go with the common repair because it's less expensive. Making a repair invisible costs a lot more. Make sure whoever you get to fix it is qualified and has a good reputation.

John

YouAreNext
03-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Ok i think i will pick the old one :P ....His nickname is Stradivarius
Haha

The Switch
03-25-2010, 07:28 AM
If the old guy is experienced in guitar repairs, and not a furniture repair man who sometimes repairs guitars, then why not him if he'll do it for free?

It's up to you man.

YouAreNext
03-25-2010, 07:29 AM
Ok..... ty very much all of you for your advice....

aroth897
03-25-2010, 09:48 AM
This fix is not all that hard. I had the head stock of my Epi Dot Crack once, all I did was put some good wood glue and clamped it together, the refinishing to make it look good was a little more difficult but over all still not that bad

YouAreNext
03-25-2010, 01:06 PM
aha....Ok thnx pal...

KenG
03-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Straplocks next time! Cost to you $16 - saving a guitar from a bad fall - priceless

YouAreNext
03-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Yes...Ironic ..last week i went to a music shop and they they didn't have...

appetite4gnr
04-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Hey, Just wondering if you had it repaired. If so, how'd it turn out? Cost?
My reason for asking is that I've just done the same thing to my SG. I'm absolutely devistated. I'd just finished cleaning the basement and set up a great spot for my gear and comfortable place to jam. I moved my amp out from the wall to plug in my footswitch and I heard the "thud".
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u150/appetite4gnr/DSC05060.jpg

ikey_
04-13-2010, 12:23 AM
well besides it doesn matter now,

but strap locks are like 20 bucks. bought some pre-emtively. it gives me security and a new sense of "strapping up" when i strap up...sucker is not going anywhere untill i unlock those ernie ball super locks.

AcousticMirror
04-13-2010, 12:28 AM
A glue in repair should cost less then 100 dollars. It'll make the guitar playable again but it's be unsteady and no luthier will warranty a glue in. Glues can melt contract expand all that jazz.

A volute repair will cost like 300 bucks and is totally not worth it in your case.

appetite4gnr
04-13-2010, 05:07 PM
I brought it to a local guitar repair shop today. The guy was actually quite informative and seemed very experienced. He said he does these kinda repairs quite often, so often that apparently he has a jig made for holding the guitar perfectly in place. He also tells me that in my case, it was actually a "good break", since theres so much surface area for the glue to bond to, whereas if it was a "clean break" it would be much more unstable.

About $140 total. So worth it (if it works). I've had this guitar for years, and it's never done me wrong. Sure, "It's only an Epi" but I love it. I'll update when I get it back. Thx for the info.

AcousticMirror
04-13-2010, 06:45 PM
that's not bad if you love the guitar it's totally worth it.
I broke the headstock on my Gibson it was a 400 dollar repair

SilverRock113
04-13-2010, 08:00 PM
And the neck..

Damn that guitar is dead..

If its a bolt on, you could just replace the neck, set neck, not sure

IbanezRGS
04-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Oh, How did I know the break was gonna look like that before I looked at the thread? :rolleyes: But yeah, common, should be an easy fix.

johnro6659
04-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Yeah that break is another easy repair actually easier than if it breaks at the nut or below. I do not recommend repairing a break if you do not have much experience. It was quite a while before I tackled neck and or headstock breaks.

The secret to a good repair is use the right glue and clamping it correctly. If you do decide to try fixing the break. Get some Tite Bond II or III your going to need a couple wood blocks and a few C clamps. My wood blocks have leather glued to them so they won't scratch or dig into the guitar. The piece you use for the front can be dead flat the back you might have to work so it cradles into onto any compound contours that the back might have. I have had to make several different clamping blocks over the years to fit neck radius. If you clamp with out the right blocks you can crush the truss rod channel in some guitars it's very close to the back of the surface of the neck.

John

AcousticMirror
04-13-2010, 10:13 PM
just have your luthier repair it. a good experienced luthier should be used to repairing les paul necks. they break all the time. It'll come out better then new.