So, who can give me a good research paper topic?

PDA

View Full Version : So, who can give me a good research paper topic?

Holy.
03-25-2010, 11:29 PM
So I'm super behind in my English AP class since I've been busy with sports and just today my teacher assigned a research paper due next Thursday. We were given a list of topics to choose from, but I'm not sure if there is something I'd enjoy writing about on that list. Luckily we can make up our own and get it approved by our teacher.

Does anyone have something good to write about?

Just so you know, the topics aren't listed as Abortion, Gay Marriage, Nuclear arms, or other one or two word topics, they are a couple of sentences long. For example, here are a few of the topics on the list:

If a university offers "African-American Studies" or "Black Studies" as courses, should it also offer "European-American Studies" or "White Studies"?

The United States has sometimes been referred to as “The Great Melting Pot”. If this is true, should the United States have one official language? Should we adopt a wider variety of languages as our official language? Or should we declare English the official language of the United States?

Recently, celebrity scandals have been popular topics for news casters and popular comedians. Because celebrities are so often in the public spotlight, do they have ethical responsibilities to set good examples for young people? For example, should celebrities be punished for personal choices and decisions?

The 1920's was an era saturated with organized crime: bootlegging, the fixing of the World Series, and corruption within police forces. Who were the major players in organized crime in the 20's and what crimes were they involved in? What impact did these people and their crimes have on society?

I'll offer a million internet grams of gratitude for anyone who can help me. :)

tl;dr - I need a research paper topic, halp?

Will Swanson
03-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Poop.

daytripper75
03-25-2010, 11:32 PM
The 1920's was an era saturated with organized crime: bootlegging, the fixing of the World Series, and corruption within police forces. Who were the major players in organized crime in the 20's and what crimes were they involved in? What impact did these people and their crimes have on society?

I like that one. Then again, I'm studying history. :shrug:

guitarxo
03-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Recently, celebrity scandals have been popular topics for news casters and popular comedians. Because celebrities are so often in the public spotlight, do they have ethical responsibilities to set good examples for young people? For example, should celebrities be punished for personal choices and decisions?

That sounds like the easiest to write/BS about imo, out of what you listed

http://www.nwmissouri.edu/library/courses/english2/termindex.htm

this might help you

guitarp_11
03-25-2010, 11:36 PM
The influence of early blues musicians on modern rock, hip-hop and rap.

The unique Presidency of Calvin Coolidge (the guy freaking pressed the Panic button in the white House and would then hide behind the ****ing curtains, what a BAMF)

Horsedick.MPEG
03-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Why do Black people have larger penises than other people?

Stormx
03-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Why do Black people have larger penises than other people?

iirc, the latest research shows precisely the opposite to be true.

daytripper75
03-25-2010, 11:38 PM
The unique Presidency of Calvin Coolidge (the guy freaking pressed the Panic button in the white House and would then hide behind the ****ing curtains, what a BAMF)

If you want to write about a President then I suggest TR. He was the biggest BAMF to ever live in the White House.

Holy.
03-25-2010, 11:39 PM

I like that one. Then again, I'm studying history. :shrug:
Yeah, that's definitely what I planned on using if I couldn't get anything better. The possibility of something better is still out there though...

BusterSword
03-25-2010, 11:40 PM
i liked the 20's thing

dudetheman
03-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Do it on 9/11 Conspiracy Theories, or the roll of Religion in American Politics and Government.

I've used both of those and they provide an opportunity to floor any teacher with radical and unusual opinions, which usually results in lulz-worthy side-notes and comments.

Holy.
03-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Do it on 9/11 Conspiracy Theories, or the roll of Religion in American Politics and Government.

I've used both of those and they provide an opportunity to floor any teacher with radical and unusual opinions, which usually results in lulz-worthy side-notes and comments.
Sounds good, but how would I transform one of those topics into a full essay topic? What exactly could I write about when it comes to those topics and what other relevant sub-topics could I add?

Will Swanson
03-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Write it on how bad religion is.

Weeping_Demon7
03-25-2010, 11:51 PM
So I'm super behind in my English AP class since I've been busy with sports and just today my teacher assigned a research paper due next Thursday. We were given a list of topics to choose from, but I'm not sure if there is something I'd enjoy writing about on that list. Luckily we can make up our own and get it approved by our teacher.

Does anyone have something good to write about?

Just so you know, the topics aren't listed as Abortion, Gay Marriage, Nuclear arms, or other one or two word topics, they are a couple of sentences long. For example, here are a few of the topics on the list:

If a university offers "African-American Studies" or "Black Studies" as courses, should it also offer "European-American Studies" or "White Studies"?
You could argue this 2 ways. One way is, no. Most world history focuses on western culture, and therefore specific focuses in non-western history is justified

Or, that yes. You should have a European studies because World History is extensive in many cultures, not just Euro-American culture.

The United States has sometimes been referred to as “The Great Melting Pot”. If this is true, should the United States have one official language? Should we adopt a wider variety of languages as our official language? Or should we declare English the official language of the United States?
Pro: Yes, one language would require everyone be fluent in one language, unifying the people, and strengthening the bond between races.
Con: No, the US should stay multilingual because then it truly maintains the beauty of the freedom of speech and expression in all tongues.

No, this is so one sided.

I'll offer a million internet grams of gratitude for anyone who can help me. :)

tl;dr - I need a research paper topic, halp?
Maybe run with those ideas.

dudetheman
03-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Sounds good, but how would I transform one of those topics into a full essay topic? What exactly could I write about when it comes to those topics and what other relevant sub-topics could I add?

Am I doing your paper for you now? :p:

But seriously, there are dozens of conspiracy theories related to 9/11 and thousands of ways that religious ideologies weasel their way into government and politics.

Write about some of those instances or some of those theories.

Das_Skittles
03-26-2010, 12:03 AM
If you want to write about a President then I suggest TR. He was the biggest BAMF to ever live in the White House.
:five:

The day I learned about TR was the day I decided to be a history major. That awesome.

OT: The 20s one is the most interesting, imo. The Drug War folks could learn something if they looked at the similarities between Prohibition and current drug laws.

daytripper75
03-26-2010, 12:09 AM
:five:

The day I learned about TR was the day I decided to be a history major. That awesome.

OT: The 20s one is the most interesting, imo. The Drug War folks could learn something if they looked at the similarities between Prohibition and current drug laws.

Hell yeah. We talked about TR a good bit in my New Era (US history basically from the end of Reconstruction to the early 1920s) class last semester, and this semester we discussed some of his foreign policy in my American Foreign Relations: 1895-Present course. He is a really interesting person.

If you do the 1920s question I suggest asking if you can write about prohibition and bootlegging specifically, rather than the gangsters and stuff. I mean you'd have to include some of that, but I think focusing more on prohibition itself would be interesting.

bradulator
03-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Celebrities one would be impossible to write a research paper about. Any of them but that.

Das_Skittles
03-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Hell yeah. We talked about TR a good bit in my New Era (US history basically from the end of Reconstruction to the early 1920s) class last semester, and this semester we discussed some of his foreign policy in my American Foreign Relations: 1895-Present course. He is a really interesting person.

My freshman year of high school I had a teacher who was obsessed with him. She actually ignored the district curriculum and changed our unit on progressives into one unit on TR and one unit about "those other guys." :haha:

I haven't gotten a chance to take any US history at the college level, but based on the way my school's history department makes ridiculously focused course at anything past the 100-level (my first semester history class was "The Development of Early Armenia." Once we got past the first two weeks, the class focused on a 400 year period, which is pretty small considering that Armenians have been around as an identifiable group for almost 4000 years), I'm quite excited.

OT: If you can get op-ed columns from the era (the NY Times database goes back to the 1890s, so it shouldn't be too hard), it would really enhance the 20s topic. And teachers are suckers for primary sources. :p:

Holy.
03-26-2010, 12:21 AM
If you do the 1920s question I suggest asking if you can write about prohibition and bootlegging specifically, rather than the gangsters and stuff. I mean you'd have to include some of that, but I think focusing more on prohibition itself would be interesting.
Ok, you talked me into this topic. I'm actually quite interested in history, especially this era in U.S. history, so writing shouldn't be so difficult. Like you said, prohibition and bootlegging would probably be my main focus, but I'll include some stuff about how gangsters shaped popular culture.

At the moment the 1920's topic will most likely be something I'll write about, but if anyone has anything they think is completely better, I'm completely open to your suggestion.

daytripper75
03-26-2010, 01:12 AM
My freshman year of high school I had a teacher who was obsessed with him. She actually ignored the district curriculum and changed our unit on progressives into one unit on TR and one unit about "those other guys." :haha:

Your teacher sounds like she was awesome. :p:

I haven't gotten a chance to take any US history at the college level, but based on the way my school's history department makes ridiculously focused course at anything past the 100-level (my first semester history class was "The Development of Early Armenia." Once we got past the first two weeks, the class focused on a 400 year period, which is pretty small considering that Armenians have been around as an identifiable group for almost 4000 years), I'm quite excited.

Most 100 level history courses are VERY general. Our 100 level courses included Europe and the World 1350-1789 and 1789-Present and Contours of US History which is a survey of all of US history. Even 200 level classes can be rather general. I'm taking England to 1688 which covers everything from pre-Roman to 1688. Once you get to the 300 level things get more specific. Right now I'm taking a class specifically about the Confederacy, which is still a large topic but more specific than lower level classes. Then again you can take 400 level classes that are pretty broad too. Last year I had 401 which was Cultural Interactions in the Atlantic World, 1450-1820. :shrug: