Is this alright?

PDA

View Full Version : Is this alright?

MiddleGuitar
03-29-2010, 11:26 AM
(please direct me to the right forum if this one is wrong)
In my band, I'm the rhythm guitarist. We have a lead guitarist and lead vocals. We are lacking a bassist and drummer. We think we can get a drummer but we don't think we could get a bassist. I was wondering if it would be okay for me to play the baritone guitar to replace the bassist. The genres we play range from Nu Metal to Alternative Rock. If you don't think not having a bassist would work, please give me suggestions on what to do or how to get a bassist.

Thank You for your responses.

travs2448
03-29-2010, 11:33 AM
you need some sort of low end sound in there. i've heard bands with out a bassist and i think they sounded pretty crappy

03-29-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm assuming there's a reason you can't just buy a bass?

On the other hand, Sleater-Kinney does it with two guitars tuned to C#, but they're far from the genres you mentioned.

MiddleGuitar
03-29-2010, 11:40 AM
I COULD buy a bass but I don't really like the idea of playing it. I was thinking the baritone would be the low end even though I know bass goes much lower.

KoRnOnA6String
03-29-2010, 11:45 AM
I COULD buy a bass but I don't really like the idea of playing it. I was thinking the baritone would be the low end even though I know bass goes much lower.

You're kind of shooting yourself in the butt here, though.

Why don't you like the idea of playing the bass?

MiddleGuitar
03-29-2010, 11:50 AM
You're kind of shooting yourself in the butt here, though.

Why don't you like the idea of playing the bass?

I would love it if you could convince me to switch to bass!

Yooxa
03-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Well, if you think bass issn't heard why bothering getting a bassist :haha: ?

NIN1993
03-30-2010, 11:43 AM
not sure if this will help you but two bands i know that dont have a bassist The White Stripes and Local H but i think they use bass pickups in there guitars

toyboxmonster
03-30-2010, 08:40 PM
No. You simply cannot do it. It goes against the laws of rock 'n' roll music as they appear in The Rock Music Code of 1963.

Lespauljames
03-31-2010, 11:36 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1294988
see here for reasons.

spirogyra_
04-01-2010, 03:36 AM
not sure if this will help you but two bands i know that dont have a bassist The White Stripes and Local H but i think they use bass pickups in there guitars

The essential difference between a bass and a six string treble guitar is a bass is 1 octave (or twelve frets / half steps) lower than a six string, pickup choice does not define pitch.
for that matter you can pickup bass frequencies with regular guitar pickups.

Any way TS if you live in the city you have no excuse to not be able to find a bassist, locate notice boards in you locality and put your advert containing who and what kind of people you want to play with. EASY.

www.musolist.com should be fruitfull depending on where you live.

kian89
04-07-2010, 03:06 PM
ive never seen a band playing without a bassist
bass = base

base of the song
if there is no base how the song will survive