What USB interface should I get?

PDA

View Full Version : What USB interface should I get?

Glyph92
03-30-2010, 09:48 PM
I need something that can connect my guitar, drums, and vocals to my computer.

Would this work for recording a full band?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-U-CONTROL-UCA202-USB-Audio-Interface-702540-i1154403.gc

StillSoundRG
03-30-2010, 09:52 PM
I just bought the TASCAM US-1641 (http://www.tascam.com/products/us-1641;9,15,1056,14.html)

What's your budget?

guitar nubsauce
03-30-2010, 09:55 PM
buy an mbox 2 off craig's list or ebay for about $200, and make sure it comes with a registered protools. Your limited to 2 microphones at one time until you can spend about $400, which is going to cause problems recording your drums if you only got two mics. The tascam he linked above me is a great buy if you've already got some software like cubase or sonar.

SEALSniper1152
03-30-2010, 09:56 PM
No, that is too small to do anything but guitar work on.

I like the M-audio Fast-track stuff, but that's a personal preference. Line 6, and Digidesign do a great job too.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Line-6-Pod-Studio-UX2-with-Pod-Farm-105148571-i1427098.gc

or

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-Fast-Track-MKII-105632467-i1474272.gc

SEALSniper1152
03-30-2010, 09:57 PM
buy an mbox 2 off craig's list or ebay for about $200, and make sure it comes with a registered protools. Your limited to 2 microphones at one time until you can spend about $400, which is going to cause problems recording your drums if you only got two mics. The tascam he linked above me is a great buy if you've already got some software like cubase or sonar.

unless you split two hanging mics into one input... as long as you balance them right, then you use the second mic for the kick. Lots of pros will use only 3 mics on a drum set.

StillSoundRG
03-30-2010, 10:01 PM
It actually comes with Cubase. So that's cool. And I got it for $260.00 off MusiciansFriend. Common around $300.00.

lowtek
03-30-2010, 10:03 PM
this one: Presonus Audiobox USB (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-2X2-USB-Recording-System?sku=243007)

guitar nubsauce
03-30-2010, 10:04 PM
It actually comes with Cubase. So that's cool. And I got it for $260.00 off MusiciansFriend. Common around $300.00.

Heh, that's a pretty nice deal for sure.

MetalUpYourRear
03-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Im currently using a Line 6 UX2. It works great for a single mic, or single instrument. I plan on buying the Tascam mentioned above soon. After I get a good pre-amp though.

guitar nubsauce
03-30-2010, 10:09 PM
unless you split two hanging mics into one input... as long as you balance them right, then you use the second mic for the kick. Lots of pros will use only 3 mics on a drum set.
It's all matter of opinion, but I wouldn't recommend it. You'd lose control over your separate overheads making phasing, panning, and mixing a nightmare, and there's no logical reason to use 3 mics if you have 8 at your disposal. If your on a budget I guess this would be a way to ghetto rig it, haha, but before doing that I'd recommend recording with 2 takes and just moving the mics around.

Glyph92
03-30-2010, 10:43 PM
The amount of mics for drums shouldn't be an issue because i should be able to mic my drums to my mixer and plug that mixer to the usb interface which will plug into my computer.

StillSoundRG
03-30-2010, 10:45 PM
The interface will have to be compatible to be daisy-chained like that.

guitar nubsauce
03-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Glyph - If you're planning on just goin left in right in I wouldn't recommend it. It might be alright to play around with, but you're really limiting your mix and setting yourself for a headache.

I'd recommend doing different takes and moving the mics around so each has it's own separate channel.

saint22
03-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you guys like the tascam? I've been looking it getting it and would like some opinions/

To contribute to the OP though, glyph, correct me if i'm wrong but you're going instrument/amp > mic > interface > computer right?

StillSoundRG
03-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you guys like the tascam? I've been looking it getting it and would like some opinions
Says 16 simultaneous inputs for recording at once, but it's more like 14, but that's still a lot. I haven't gotten mine yet, just ordered today. But I'm really looking forward to miking up the drums with 8 XLRs and then the rest of the band in 1/4"s.

For $300.00 there's nothing even like it on the market that I've found.

SEALSniper1152
03-30-2010, 11:36 PM
The amount of mics for drums shouldn't be an issue because i should be able to mic my drums to my mixer and plug that mixer to the usb interface which will plug into my computer.

This completely defeats the purpose of having a DAW on your computer, with the whole mix run in like that you will not be able to do any post-processing on the mix, everything will be exactly as it came out of the mixer. It's doable in a pinch, but it's better to use the DAW as the mixer, and record in click-tracks.

I hated that too when I was new at recording, but the old recordings sound like ass because i couldn't mix them properly.

Glyph92
03-31-2010, 08:39 AM
This completely defeats the purpose of having a DAW on your computer, with the whole mix run in like that you will not be able to do any post-processing on the mix, everything will be exactly as it came out of the mixer. It's doable in a pinch, but it's better to use the DAW as the mixer, and record in click-tracks.

I hated that too when I was new at recording, but the old recordings sound like ass because i couldn't mix them properly.

What if I had my friend record drums on an 8 track and he mixes it then sends the track to me and I put guitar and vocals over it?

Mr.Oliver
03-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Well, couldn't you just have your mixer and your DAW plugged to your computer? So you can have each channel on a separate track and still have your DAW sound quality.

I'm no pro, therefore I have no idea if this is possible.

mlb13mf
03-31-2010, 08:06 PM
http://www.lexiconpro.com/product_list.php

these are great interfaces if u are talking about this