the ramones sound

PDA

View Full Version : the ramones sound

jonnoo89
04-02-2010, 02:56 AM
hi there everyone ive played my guitar on a clean amp for a about 4 months just but know wanna learn to use the overdrive ch on my amp

i need some help getting my amp set up right (gain and 3 band eq) to play a few songs by the ramones that i know

the songs that i know how to play in clean are 53rd and 3rd , the KKK took my baby away , i don't care ,bad brain , blitzkrieg bop , its a long way to Germany , i don't wanna go down to the basement

could someone help me out ..

my equipment is :

2004 Mexican Fender Fender Stratocaster Ri 1957
Park G25R

ieatu
04-02-2010, 03:04 AM
Gain on 7, Bass on 4, Mid at 6, Treble at 7, and if you have reverb, on 2.
These are going by numbers, not 0' clocks or anything like that.

If you want to get really technical, Johnny used a DiMarzio FS-1 singlecoil on a Mosrite Ventures guitar through a Marshall JMP 100 watt head thru two 4x12 cabs.
But with the settings that I gave you and your equipment, you should do fine.

jonnoo89
04-02-2010, 03:16 AM
ya ive got spring reverb on the amp

ok i ill give that a go =)

ieatu
04-02-2010, 03:18 AM
Yea, it should be really close to the sound, and thanks for reminding me about the Ramones, I'm on a Ramones listening streak now, ha.

jonnoo89
04-02-2010, 03:31 AM
hey can i ask you one more thing johnny used a fender strat at one stage would you know what year the guitar was ?

ieatu
04-02-2010, 03:40 AM
He had a Fender strat briefly in his career, it was a white 1950's strat. It really doesn't matter what equipment you use, as long as you capture his aggressiveness and attitude of his sound. Hope that helps.

ieatu
04-02-2010, 03:56 AM
Did you like it?

hendrixftw
04-02-2010, 05:25 AM
How to sound like the Ramones:

1. Buy Expensive Strat
2. Buy Expensive Marshall
3. Bash the shit out of your gear
4. Learn how to play powerchords and nothing more

And Voila...you sound like a Ramone...

Why you want to sound like them however is totally beyond me

ieatu
04-02-2010, 05:31 AM

1. Buy Expensive Strat

Hey, they're a good band. :sad:

Firebirdz
04-02-2010, 05:37 AM

1. Buy Expensive Strat

OH NO3Z!!!! OP1NIONZ!!!!!

Dude,seriously,don't like the ramones-save it to yourself or take it elsewhere.
Don't go to thread about them just to bash them.

Duv
04-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Hey, they're a good band. :sad:

He wasn't necessarily denying that. I like Van Halen but there's not a chance in hell I would want to play/sound like that.

Kurapica
04-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Kudos to the TS. Not enough people want to learn about punk tone, so that's cool. The Ramones had a very full and impressive sound which, at the time, was pioneering. Add that with massive energy and great songs and you've got a winner.

I like me some twiddly nonsense as much as the next guy, but The Ramones are fantastic.

...I think I'm going to have to go and listen to some again now >.<

kickstartkiss
04-02-2010, 07:57 AM

1. Buy Expensive Strat

:no:

1. Buy blue mosrite secondhand for 54 dollars
2. Rent Marshalls everwhere you play.
4. play rapid down stroked barre chords, often in a simple I-IV-V progression, and influence a ton of musicians

fixed:)

hendrixftw
04-02-2010, 08:13 AM
^^ Ahh thanks for the correction good sir

SkaJon
04-02-2010, 09:15 AM
The Ramones tone is awesome, personally it's one of my favorite punk tones, next to Joe Stummer's tone.

Really it shouldn't hard to achieve the Ramones sound, good amount of mids and treble and Marshall JMP distortion, and a high output single coil bridge pickup.

I find it easy to achieve when I use the JCM 800 model on my Vox, turn up the mids and treble, gain on 6. I use my Telecaster and bam! power chord city OR if I'm using my Fender amp, I dial in my Danoelectro Cool Cat Drive, and my Telecaster.

Have fun man and remember punk is about being aggressive and having fun, as long as you get that vibe down, I think you can do it on any equipment.

Gargoyle2500
04-07-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm bumping a 4 day old topic but if you want to nail early Ramones tone from the first two or three albums Hallmark has a really good Mosrite Ventures II Slab Body style guitar called the Sheena. (They also have a Road To Ruin model which has the same tone, The differences are just color and a base plate)

jonnoo89
08-14-2010, 04:00 AM
a friend is letting me use his guitar and amp for the rest of the month and ' ieatu ' i hope you or someone else could help me out with the set up again "RAMONES TONE"

the gear his letting me use is

guitar : indie guitar with 2 humbuckers ( name on then is GR8 'someone told me there alnico pick ups')

marshall haze amp ( 40W tube amp )

if someone wants to know what nobs on the amp just say so and ill put it up

FatalGear41
08-14-2010, 06:14 AM
If you have a Marshall, try these settings:

Bass: 10
Mid: 7
Treble: 6
Presence: 3
Gain: Cranked
Master Volume: As loud as you are allowed to crank it

Johnny's Mosrite guitar w/ DiMarzio pickup had a lot to do with his sound, as did his aggressive playing. The other thing to remember is that The Ramones were one insanely loud band. So turn it up and play every note and chord as if it were your last!

Gargoyle2500
08-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Johnny's Mosrite guitar w/ DiMarzio pickup had a lot to do with his sound, as did his aggressive playing. The other thing to remember is that The Ramones were one insanely loud band. So turn it up and play every note and chord as if it were your last!

Yes, For post 1977 tone it seems like the guitar doesn't matter much as it seems like he used the same pickup for every guitar he bought. For Pre 1977 tone one has to get Mosrite MK II style pickups or a pickup correct Mosrite Mark II copy if the person wants to go that far. I wonder what gauge of strings Johnny used?

jakesc8
06-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Hey, sorry to revive the thread, but I need a Ramones sound. And I cant get it with any of these settings given. I have an Epiphone ES-333 Tom DeLonge signature guitar (Lets not get into the pop-punk argument. I know it's not punk.) Peavey vypyr 30w, and a Boss DS1. Should I use the pedal?

FatalGear41
06-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Most of Johnny's tone came from the fact that he cranked his 100-watt Marshall Plexis to the absolute f*cking gills. Even in a place like CBGBs, they were so loud that you could barely stand it. Johnny's playing style was pure punk: play every note as if it is your last. All downstrokes; all fast and furious and all with the ultimate "F*ck the world!" attitude.

You ain't going to find that attitude in a pedal, my friend.

Don't worry about getting the tone "just right." Johnny would be spinning in his grave if he knew how nit-picky people were getting over capturing the Ramones' sound. The Ramones stripped rock & roll down to its bare-bones basics. They didn't give a shit about tone or technique or whether they hit a dozen bad notes. You shouldn't, either.

Rock on!

kangaxxter
06-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Just saying, you much more likely to get a Ramones tone out of the P-Bass listed in your sig than a humbucker equipped semi-hollow, but what the hell, let's give it a shot. First off, the DS-1 won't help you so set that sucker aside. We'll get what distortion you need from the amp.

Ok, when imitating settings you should go Amp Model -> EQ -> Volume - > Gain -> Master. So start on the red "Plxi" channel for the amp model. Then start by setting the EQ, it should be very treble heavy. Aim for the Bass around 3, Mids at 6 and Treble at 8 adjust as necessary. Arbitrarily set the volume. Then gradually turn up the gain while playing a few chords until you begin to sound somewhat like Johnny. Finally, use the master to bring it down to a usable level. If this doesn't work then I'd guess you're SOL.

jakesc8
06-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Just saying, you much more likely to get a Ramones tone out of the P-Bass listed in your sig than a humbucker equipped semi-hollow, but what the hell, let's give it a shot. First off, the DS-1 won't help you so set that sucker aside. We'll get what distortion you need from the amp.

Ok, when imitating settings you should go Amp Model -> EQ -> Volume - > Gain -> Master. So start on the red "Plxi" channel for the amp model. Then start by setting the EQ, it should be very treble heavy. Aim for the Bass around 3, Mids at 6 and Treble at 8 adjust as necessary. Arbitrarily set the volume. Then gradually turn up the gain while playing a few chords until you begin to sound somewhat like Johnny. Finally, use the master to bring it down to a usable level. If this doesn't work then I'd guess you're SOL.

Perfect! Thanks.

Off topic, but, I cannot get the rhythm to the intro for I Wanna Be Sedated. Am I palm muting, or lifting my fretting hand up to mute it?

sethp
06-14-2011, 02:33 AM
Perfect! Thanks.

Off topic, but, I cannot get the rhythm to the intro for I Wanna Be Sedated. Am I palm muting, or lifting my fretting hand up to mute it?

looks like he's palm muting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ksbr4EyKbg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ7MH7oecK0

oh, and just for fun (part-1):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JANHnTXaBZs

i think parts 4 and 5 are blocked

sethp
06-15-2011, 07:07 PM
just for the OP (part-1):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDOEE5XfJVs