Alice in Chains is never the same without Layne Staley....

PDA

View Full Version : Alice in Chains is never the same without Layne Staley....

Leek
04-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Who thinks AiC was much better before Staley (RIP) died? The energy and style would never be the same again without Staley. Duvall's pretty good, but it just doesnt seem "Alice in Chains-ish" anymore......

southpaw_tdg
04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
thats only one album with duvall, they're trying not ease into it i think, give them time to build the chemistry and find a new groove they fit into. it won't be the same aic but to expect that would be unrealistic. i think they will become a good but different band.

flashmdg
04-05-2010, 04:54 PM
personally i think jerry cantrell is the main force behind aic, i really like the new material

the_hoodster
04-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I love all things AIC apart from the fact that Layne died, I don't really like that.

halfj06
04-05-2010, 05:03 PM
the thing is.. it depends on what side of alice in chains you liked best.. Jerry wrote most of there Big songs if i remember correctly.. With the loss of layne Alice in Chains lost there darker side..

i dont think weve got to see the creative side of duvall yet.. obviously its just my guess but i would venture to say i bet 99% of the materiel on this album was done by jerry in his many years of downtime. ill hold my opnion off til the next album (if there is one )on William

F-Hole
04-05-2010, 07:10 PM
I haven't heard Duvall with AIC but I'm looking forward to checking it out. Way back in the 80s he played in a band here where I live called Neon Christ and they were a big deal locally back in the day.

Layne Staley had a great distinct sound though, RIP. Classic stuff.

The Arsis
04-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I personally loved the new album. To be honest, BGWTB is my favorite album from them by far. I do like their old stuff as well.

jettzypher
04-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Layne Staley had a great distinct sound though this is kind of a big difference in a band. while granted one guitarist is never the same as the next, the sounds are much easier to copy. vocals however, are hard to mimic and get the same sound. so it'll always feel like youre listening to some other band. i listened to the new stuff with the new guy, and while its good, i just dont feel like im listening to alice in chains.

Outerspacegrass
04-05-2010, 09:06 PM
no question that the AiC is not as good without staley. But Duvall is a beast of a singer, and really fills the spot well, in terms of singing ability and voice. And you don't see this kind of thing often. Still, AiC was driven mostly by Jerry, and Jerry is not letting up at all.

I even saw them live last month and they were playing really well.

edit: those who say that it doesnt sound like AiC with duvall are partyl right... but its due to the lyrical style and structure, along with the fact that AiC has evolved, for better or for worse. When i saw them last month, Duvall was nailing their old song near perfectly. His voice sounds very much like Staley's!

jlyndon666
04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
personally i think jerry cantrell is the main force behind aic, i really like the new material

This is true. Rooster was about Cantrell's father, along with all of the tracks being composed by Cantrell even lyrically. Of course they will never be the same without Staley, but the essence of AIC lives through Cantrell.

Black Gives Way to Blue was the bands way of moving on, saying goodbye, but never forgetting their brother. "Lay Down, I'll Remember you." And the opening lines of All Secrets Known. I'm not gonna qoute them, just take a listen.

I'm stoked to see AIC coming back and kicking some ass! You have to admit, it's a lot better then most of the garbage that's out there now.

I saw them live in Detroit at the Fillmore recently and they were amazing! Duvall is a nice addition to the band. Very high energy. I was in aw, because here is a band that I grew up with and idolized for all of my teenage youth and still to this day.

RIP Layne Staley