and the best guitarist in the last 30 years is...

PDA

View Full Version : and the best guitarist in the last 30 years is...

MentaLrz
04-09-2010, 07:38 PM
John Frusciante

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8611997.stm

Chili Peppers' John Frusciante voted modern guitar hero
John Frusciante
John Frusciante is now in a new band with Duran Duran bassist John Taylor

Former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante has been voted the best guitarist of the past 30 years.

Frusciante, who left the group in 2008, beat Guns n' Roses star Slash, Muse's Matt Bellamy and Johnny Marr of The Smiths to the top spot.

Prince, Jack White, Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood and REM's Peter Buck were also in the top 10. But Noel Gallagher, The Edge and Kurt Cobain missed out.

Some 30,000 people took part in BBC 6 Music's Axe Factor online poll.

6 Music breakfast host Shaun Keaveny said of Frusciante: "His range, from minimalist melody lines, through choppy Hendrixian chord voicings all the way up to 11 with wailing metal tinged blues, gives him the edge over many in the list. For that I salute him."

Fellow presenter Steve Lamacq said the list proved that "you have to be a little unhinged to be a true guitar hero".

"There's an underlying madness about their work, but with the renewed interest in these guitarists, thanks to various computer games, this is a very timely and revealing litmus test of who our audience really admire," he said.

Frusciante released his 10th solo album last year and is also part of the band Swahili Blonde with Duran Duran bassist John Taylor and vocalist Nicole Turley.

AXE FACTOR TOP 10
1. John Frusciante - Red Hot Chili Peppers
2. Slash - Guns n' Roses
3. Matt Bellamy - Muse
4. Johnny Marr - The Smiths
5. Tom Morello - Rage Against The Machine
6. Kirk Hammett - Metallica
7. Jonny Greenwood - Radiohead
8. Prince
9. Jack White - White Stripes
10. Peter Buck - REM

Slash, who came second, is releasing his debut solo album, featuring contributions from Ozzy Osbourne, Iggy Pop, Dave Grohl, Kid Rock and Fergie from Black Eyed Peas.

"All the guys who I consider guitar legends are the pioneers of electric guitar, rock 'n' roll guitar and blues guitar as well," he said recently. "So I'm still struggling to keep up. I definitely don't put myself in the legend category."

Suede guitarist Bernard Butler, who was also on the list of 40 contenders, said his vote went to Johnny Marr.

"I used to just sit in front of the TV and video everything - whenever he was on Top of the Pops or The Tube," he told 6 Music.

"Whatever he was on, I just freeze framed it and saw, well, his hand's there. There are a million different tricks he used to do - it was a massive education for me."

Marr came fourth and said it was "incredible" to be considered one of the greats.

"The greatest accolade is for people you respect to respect you and to influence you," he said.

"But I can't think about it too much because you would need to have some gargantuan ego to analyse it. I'm just very grateful and try not to screw up."

HAHA TERRIBLE LIST.

IdntNedUrCvlWar
04-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Honestly, I don't give a shit about that kind of thing.

Music isn't competition.

Bassmastajazzyj
04-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Absolutely horrid list, who picks these anyway?

lookpizza
04-09-2010, 07:44 PM
AXE FACTOR TOP 10
1. John Frusciante - Red Hot Chili Peppers
2. Slash - Guns n' Roses
3. Matt Bellamy - Muse
4. Johnny Marr - The Smiths
5. Tom Morello - Rage Against The Machine
6. Kirk Hammett - Metallica
7. Jonny Greenwood - Radiohead
8. Prince
9. Jack White - White Stripes
10. Peter Buck - REM

That's a terrible terrible list.

lordrcceaser
04-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Fail list is fail

loudog93
04-09-2010, 07:46 PM
yeah i would agree with that list. i would put el here from NOFX instead of peter buck though.

Grohlism
04-09-2010, 07:46 PM
It's a list of the most influential guitarists, not the best. Why on earth is Matt Bellamy above Jonny Greenwood?

Fadetoblack5:03
04-09-2010, 07:47 PM
So appearently only popular bands have good guitarists.

Music isn't competition.

Win

Morbidyeti
04-09-2010, 07:48 PM
yeah...only one hair metal guitarist on the list. and its only really well known people. So guitar greats like paul gilbert and steve vai and such wouldnt really be included becasue they are most known around guitarists

lordrcceaser
04-09-2010, 07:53 PM
You can understand why shredders like gilbert are not included in the list as their influence on mainstream popular music is minimal (Even though they are fantastic players), but that doesn't explain why guitarists such as EVH and Randy Rhoads, who were massive influences on 80's rock aren't included

guitarsftw
04-09-2010, 07:55 PM
This was a poll, the results were voted on. When it comes to making lists like this, making it a poll is really the most appropriate way of doing it.

neidnarb11890
04-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Johnny Marr rulez. :cool:

diofan88
04-10-2010, 12:11 AM
I didn't even know REM was still around...

I thought they had a stint in the 90s and vanished...

well **** me I learned me some knowledge

TrevorJH
04-10-2010, 09:43 PM
worst list ever. guitarists should be hte only ones polled not just your average joe who knows nothing about guitar.

soundgarden19
04-10-2010, 11:04 PM
I didn't even know REM was still around...

I thought they had a stint in the 90s and vanished...

well **** me I learned me some knowledge

Going strong since '79.

aerosmith513
04-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Anyone from the 80's shouldn't be up there. As much as i love slash he is a guitarist from the 80's and early 90's. Derek Trucks should be up there. Jack White should be 2nd. Derek Trucks should be 3rd or so. Joe Bonamassa is another great guitarist.

soundgarden19
04-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Anyone from the 80's shouldn't be up there.

Yes they should, thirty years, that's 80s, 90s and 00s. they wouldn't do 10s because it's just four months old.

TDKshorty
04-11-2010, 12:39 PM
It's a great list, they used the best method to get results. I think it would be limiting to ask only guitarists, or musicians.
None of us were musicians until we heard our idols and picked up our instruments, but that never meant we didn't understand the music or knew what we liked to hear. There are many amazing players, like Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai and Al Di Meola, but we only understand their greatness because we do play music and we understand how hard it is to play the way they play, even though out of all the shredders I think they're the best, because they're on the edge of something else, not just playing really fast music.

You don't have to understand music to enjoy it.

Shredders are a dime a dozen, just like hair metal bands were in the '80s and how pop-punk/emo-pop music now and just like nu-metal and like grunge. Once something becomes popular it creates replicas of itself through the people it influenced.

I think anyone can shred and play pop-punk music and play as fast as possible or create a sound that's already been made, that's why there are so many shredders on youtube, and yet there are a handful that are successful through their playing.

Few people can play like the top 10
Froosh has a style that is completely original and amazing, he approaches music in a way most people would never think of.
Slash came around at a time when every guitar player was trying to be like Eddie Van Halen, and even though he did play fast he was tracing back to the roots of blues and minor based music, and he created alot of really great riff and groove based music. If you play Appetite For Destruction, it sounds relevant and completely different from all the band from that time.

Johnny Marr did that in the Smiths too, he focused on rhythm and actually playing songs than anything and he did an amazing job too. The stuff he does with chords and harmonics is astounding as well- it's an individual style and it's unique which is what makes it so special.

No one can play like Jonny Greenwood, he's incredible, he does something with the guitar that is just...to me, I can't describe with words but it's otherworldly.

Sure, I disagree with the list in some spots. Randy Rhoads is way better than Slash and Kirk Hammett. But it's a poll and it's people's opinions, so there's nothing we can really say about it.
Because it could have been a whole lot worse- based on what's on the radio today. If a bunch of preteens had voted they would have picked something entirely different, like Jonas Bros or something, I don't even know what's popular but, the fact that these individuals were picked is amazing.
How many people even knew who Peter Buck was before this poll? How many of you guys notice how few non-musicians know the name of any guitarists, like Kirk Hammett or Jonny Greenwood. There were a lot of musicians who voted in this, trust me

For all Americans, we have to take in consideration that this was a BBC poll and a lot of the players are English (most of the rest of the top 40 are, but there's a few in the top 10)

BackdoorRomeo
04-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Geoff Tyson [T-Ride]

- best sound ever

(I'd give the guy who changes my opinion a thousand dollars, and I'm serious)

:D

lookpizza
04-11-2010, 04:08 PM
This is a terrible list and polling the general public is the very worst way to get any sort of factual information it's like the ol dhmo hoax

Emails Index
How Gullible Are We?

A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to the alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide." And for plenty of good reasons, since
1. it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting;
2. it is a major component in acid rain;
3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state;
4. accidental inhalation can kill you;
5. it contributes to erosion;
6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes;
7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients.

The student asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical. Forty-three said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the chemical was water. The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?" The conclusion is pretty obvious.

Aberinkula
04-12-2010, 09:54 AM
I still think Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is the best. Although Jonny Greenwood would be a close second, and Froosh would also make my top 5.

DaddyTwoFoot
04-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Anyone from the 80's shouldn't be up there. As much as i love slash he is a guitarist from the 80's and early 90's. Derek Trucks should be up there. Jack White should be 2nd. Derek Trucks should be 3rd or so. Joe Bonamassa is another great guitarist.
Are you simple? It's a list of the "best" guitarists of the last 30 years. Appetite for Destruction came out 23 years ago. Slash counts.

megagage
04-12-2010, 10:04 PM
A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to the alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide." And for plenty of good reasons, since
1. it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting;
2. it is a major component in acid rain;
3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state;
4. accidental inhalation can kill you;
5. it contributes to erosion;
6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes;
7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients.

The student asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical. Forty-three said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the chemical was water. The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?" The conclusion is pretty obvious.

...I must ask...what the **** does this have to do with anything???

punkforlife93
04-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Let's see...

Omar Rodriguez Lopez needs to be there, same with Paul Waggoner and Muhammed Suicmez, some Mikael Akferdelt wouldn't be out of line...Drew Speziale is a personal favorite, as is Thomas Erak, but I'm not sure either belongs on here...Johnny Greenwood is a beast, he stays...no Syd Barrett? You've got to be kidding. J Mascis is a stud, and John Petrucci might deserve a little love too.

Overall, list fails. Maybe influential, but best?

HA.

JohnFrusciante6
04-13-2010, 10:20 AM
matt belamy at #3? he is amazing but the last 30 years? come on...

30 years is stupid because a guitarist doesn't hang around at the top of the industry for that long. the last 10 years is more reasonable. oh well at least my favorite guitarist got #1. tom morello should be #2!!

D.A.treat
04-30-2010, 06:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oNFRWXDSA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A125h-WwmLY

Ignore him to your own detriment.

EvilAngel93
05-01-2010, 05:39 PM
This list just proved to me how overrated Kirk Hammett is. There were only a few songs where he had some soulful solos, but most of the time he overuses the wah and shreds the same progressions over and over. Why the hell isn't Jerry Cantrell in there? He's not just known for his solos, his riffs are one-of-a-kind. Put him in there along with John Petrucci, Mike McCready, hell even Alexi Laiho, and this list will make some sense.

romencer17
05-01-2010, 05:58 PM
any answer that isn't Luc Lemay is obviously wrong.

aig91
05-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I vote Derek Trucks.

D.A.treat
05-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Looking at it closely it's amazing how messed up that list is. I'm not saying he's the best guitarist of the last 30 years, but come on! How can they not include Mike McCready on there some where? He's a very influential player from one of the most influential bands of the last 20 years.

sbauer187
05-03-2010, 12:01 AM
I cant really argue about frusciante being at #1 but some of the other picks are suspect. But it's obviously not a list based on who can shred the fastest, it's more based on who has created some of the most memorable guitar parts on songs. I guess they also factored in longetivity of their careers because rhandy rhoads might have been near the top if he had played on more than 2 Ozzy albums. (RIP) But yeah music is not really a competition and I think people make too big a deal out of these lists.

Iphone Eyes
05-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I thought how amazing it would it be to see them live, shame I live in the ass if the world.