How much money bands make from sales?

PDA

View Full Version : How much money bands make from sales?

jambomarc
04-09-2010, 08:57 PM
How much money roughly would a band (say 4 members) make each from album sales? For example, an album sells a million copies at 10, for anybody that is poor at maths that is 10 million, so how much of that actually goes to each member of the band?

bingeandletgo
04-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Depends entirely on the record label

vjferrara
04-09-2010, 09:08 PM
and how much of the record label's money they used to make the record, how much the record label promoted it, the contracts, who wrote how much of the song. an average we were given in my copywright law class is that artists generally make 4.5 cents on the dollar - american. most of a band's money comes from merch and tour revenue

jambomarc
04-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Wow!! Thanks, I thought it would be a lot more!! I knew the record labels would get a fair chunk but to get that much is surprising!! I thought bands would get around 50% and I was way off!!

chocolate milk
04-10-2010, 07:36 AM
now a days a million copies is out of question, sadly :-/ so barely anything from cd sales

insatanity
04-10-2010, 09:27 AM
How much money roughly would a band (say 4 members) make each from album sales? For example, an album sells a million copies at 10, for anybody that is poor at maths that is 10 million, so how much of that actually goes to each member of the band?

How many original CDs have u bought vs how many mp3s have u downloaded for free?