i got a profesional recording pci card but im not sure if is what i need

PDA

View Full Version : i got a profesional recording pci card but im not sure if is what i need

stefan1988
04-13-2010, 01:48 PM
what the title says basically

i found a osprey video card model 230 i believe is just like this one on picture
http://www.viewcast.com/products/osprey-cards/osprey-230 and they look like it was a 900$ card in its time but now is close to 300$.

and i was wondering would this card be enough for recording? it has a microphone plug and i dunno if i could use other plugs or something besides those ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=160418547779&Category=86700&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

what could i use this card for? will it show on the modern software such as cubase or new audio programs?

i got card for free btw so if anybody says to return it or something

ZILtoid_1991
04-13-2010, 01:53 PM
This is a video capute card. Unusable to audio.

stefan1988
04-13-2010, 01:57 PM
This is a video capute card. Unusable to audio.

what about the XLR connectors? they seem they are to receive a signal since they are female?

JackMorris
04-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Even if you do manage to plug an XLR mic in, it wouldn't be worth it. This card is geared way towards video, meaning audio would be good. Good, but not recording standard. Plus, there's only one audio input.

Buy an audio interface (either an internal or external one). For the same price you could get something which is a lot better for audio.

EDIT:
Just seen the eBay link. Even though that adds other inputs, I still think it would be a lot better to get a dedicated audio card.

SirJamsalot
04-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I would read up a little before investing in a sound-card/interface. Great resource here: http://tweakheadz.com/guide.htm. It should answer most of your questions concerning 'what should I get'.

And before buying any one audio interface, either PCI, USB or FW, take some time perusing the mfg's support forums to get a feel for how helpful support is and the nature of the problems, especially surrounding the transistion between operating systems and how their drivers handle the transition.

http://tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Christian A.

stefan1988
04-13-2010, 10:06 PM
yeah i seen the other interfaces right now im being kind of cheap >_<.

i wanted a profire 610 friend let me borrow it for one week and i had all sorts of problem so i think i need to buy a separate firewire Card one with texas instrument chipset to be able to make it work

the other option is presonus mobile but the problem with this interface things are the drivers i had previously a mackie onyx that i used rarely, I only used it when i had a recording idea and it completely died on me one day and never got support or place to get it repaired from company and to make it a little more complicated im running windows 7 64 bits so most companies drivers are still kind of crap for win 7.

i was wondering about the cards since i got like 3-5 computers that they got rid of that have this cards inside but since i can't use them i guess i just leave it inside and save for another recording interface >_<

thanks for help guys

SirJamsalot
04-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Presonus support is *crappy* and the forums aren't much help either. I have a mobile, and no issue with it, but based on what I've seen on the support forums, there's no end to the frustration with the unit.

If want a cheap but good card, i've been reading rave reviews on http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAP2496

and the emu-404

good luck,
Christian A.

yeah i seen the other interfaces right now im being kind of cheap >_<.

i wanted a profire 610 friend let me borrow it for one week and i had all sorts of problem so i think i need to buy a separate firewire Card one with texas instrument chipset to be able to make it work

the other option is presonus mobile but the problem with this interface things are the drivers i had previously a mackie onyx that i used rarely, I only used it when i had a recording idea and it completely died on me one day and never got support or place to get it repaired from company and to make it a little more complicated im running windows 7 64 bits so most companies drivers are still kind of crap for win 7.

i was wondering about the cards since i got like 3-5 computers that they got rid of that have this cards inside but since i can't use them i guess i just leave it inside and save for another recording interface >_<

thanks for help guys

stefan1988
04-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Presonus support is *crappy* and the forums aren't much help either. I have a mobile, and no issue with it, but based on what I've seen on the support forums, there's no end to the frustration with the unit.

If want a cheap but good card, i've been reading rave reviews on http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAP2496

and the emu-404

good luck,
Christian A.

yeah that's what i seen from the forums and from the reviews they are mixed. >_<

i would really like the profire 610 though since is Pro-tools compatible and that is like one of the programs that is almost like a standard for recording.

is the 2496 pro tools compatible?

and forgive my ignorance but how would you even plug a guitar directtly or connect a microphone to the device all i see is 2 rca plugs and 2 midi plugs?

and also how would you manage the volume when you record without the front unit that goes in front that has the knobs to regulate the volume and that sort of thing?

and will it work with guitar rig to use effects?

SirJamsalot
04-16-2010, 03:50 PM
yeah that's what i seen from the forums and from the reviews they are mixed. >_<

i would really like the profire 610 though since is Pro-tools compatible and that is like one of the programs that is almost like a standard for recording.

is the 2496 pro tools compatible?

and forgive my ignorance but how would you even plug a guitar directtly or connect a microphone to the device all i see is 2 rca plugs and 2 midi plugs?

and also how would you manage the volume when you record without the front unit that goes in front that has the knobs to regulate the volume and that sort of thing?

Protools compatible?
I'm inclined to say yes simply because we're talking about a sound-card here, and any DAW should allow you to select which device to get its sound from, but you should contact DigiDesign and ask them for the official yes/no.

Pluggin in?
Plug your instrument/mic into your amp/preamp, which in turn should have the appropriate "outs" that you can connect a cable/adapter to the "ins" of the sound card.

If you need something that sits on your desktop to plug your stuff into, then you need a card with a break-out box, or a usb/firewire audio interface like the mobile.

here's an example of a pci-card with a breakout box.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--THKMIMD662

Christian A.

SirJamsalot
04-16-2010, 04:51 PM
"and also how would you manage the volume when you record without the front unit that goes in front that has the knobs to regulate the volume and that sort of thing?"

your pre-amp has a volumn control - and your recording software has input volume controls

Guitar rig is software - it is independant of the interface used to get the sound waves into the computer so yes.

All the interface does is convert audio waves (coming from your instrument/mic) into digital format for your computer to chew on. Once your computer gets the signal into digital, it routes that information to your recording software. Your VST's (e.g. guitar rig) can choose to apply the effects to the sound as it is recorded, or apply the effect after it has been recorded (inserts/sends).

Christian A.

stefan1988
04-18-2010, 04:56 PM
your pre-amp has a volumn control - and your recording software has input volume controls

so i need to have a preamp in front before connecting to the device? how would you use the preamp of your amplifier in this case?

littlephil
04-18-2010, 09:14 PM
so i need to have a preamp in front before connecting to the device? how would you use the preamp of your amplifier in this case?
Nono, not a preamp like that. Its a recording preamp, and the interface has one built in.