Jimi says Rory's the best

PDA

View Full Version : Jimi says Rory's the best

freakforjesus
04-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Jimi Hendrix once was asked "whats it like to be the greatest living guitarist?"
He replied "I wouldn't know ask Rory Gallagher."
Has anyone here heard of Rory Gallagher?
I just want to know what other people think.

Heylo12
04-14-2010, 03:18 PM
ya, hes a fantastic guitar player.

I dont think hes better than Hendrix, but I think hes a close runner up. He did allot of acoustic blues and folk stuff aswell as electric blues and rock n roll. he wasnt as influential as hendrix though, most people I know have never heard of him.

definitley worth a listen to, he was also in a band called "Taste" before he went solo...

hes also got an amazing Strat

KirkMetallica
04-14-2010, 03:19 PM
You've never heard of Rory Gallagher? My god man...Excellent guitarist, I bought my first guitar in the same music shop that Rory bought his, which is quite cool.

Anyway, it's all subjective, in my opinion there are much better technical players nowadays, but in Jimi's time, he would probably be waay up there.

Jayjayobrien
04-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Brute Force & Ignorance is all I've heard, did'nt seem too bad. Yeah, his strat is some battered sunburst, looks so awesome :P

SatanPriest
04-14-2010, 03:23 PM
My coworker blasts one of his CDs at work, he's a wicked guitar player, sounds to me like a mix of Hendrix and SRV.

ParasiticTwins
04-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Certainly not the best in terms of ability, but a fantastic, entertaining and incredibly modest blues guitarist. Always seemed to be an all round great guy (interviews and stuff, not personal)

freakforjesus
04-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Also some more quotes
"The man who got me back into the blues"- Eric Clapton
"So these couple of kids come up, whos me and my mate, and say 'How do you get your sound Mr. Gallagher?' So he sits down and tells us. I owe Rory Gallagher my sound"- Brian May

lefthandman9876
04-14-2010, 03:26 PM
not true, jimmy said some other dude, not rory.

soundgarden19
04-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Rory's awesome, just need to say that. And I think that other guy Jimi was talking about was ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons.

Swannie
04-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Shin Kicker is one of the best songs ever written