Cliffs of Dover

PDA

View Full Version : Cliffs of Dover

Chenryy
04-14-2010, 07:31 PM
I've been learning Cliffs of Dover for quite a while. I was wondering if anyone could give me tips for some of the following sections:

1. The hybrid picking section in the beginning solo - How do I mute this section properly? I can play it but it sounds messy, not because I hit the wrong notes, but because the notes mush into each other. I'm adequate at muting naturally, but my intuitive ability seems to die out here.

2. The main riff - Yes, I am the very many that play it the noob way, where you play it on the higher register of the neck using pull-offs instead of playing it the way Eric Johnson does on the lower portion of the neck and alternate picking every note. I'm trying to learn it the way it's actually supposed to be played, but it's so hard to make it sound fluid. Any suggestions?

Any other tips on how to play difficult songs such as this one would be much appreciated!

MikeHYA
04-14-2010, 07:47 PM
5 years ago i tried out for an emo band, and the lead guitarist made a requirement that i learn that song for the audition.

Chenryy
04-14-2010, 10:22 PM
hahahhahaha. well, they clearly did not want you in that band. did you make it in?

MikeHYA
04-15-2010, 01:06 AM
nope the guy couldnt even play it himself so i just told them to f off

spirogyra_
04-15-2010, 09:56 AM
This might fair better in the guitar techniques section.

I too have been chipping away at parts of this master piece, but only occasionally and without concern for the pure way Eric plays it.

Good luck pilgrim!

DeadH34d
04-16-2010, 01:25 PM
I've tried so many times to sit down and learn that blasted song. I get about 20 or so measures in before I go, "I'll try again in 6 months...*sigh*"

Maybe I'll give it another go today. I'll let you know if I find an easy way to do those parts.

Good luck to ya.

DeadH34d
04-16-2010, 02:12 PM
\1. The hybrid picking section in the beginning solo - How do I mute this section properly? I can play it but it sounds messy, not because I hit the wrong notes, but because the notes mush into each other. I'm adequate at muting naturally, but my intuitive ability seems to die out here.
I hold my index finger on the 15th fret on the high e, then use my pinkie for the 19's and 17's. Using your ring finger for the 19's and your middle finger for the 17's may be easier, depending on which fingers you use more. I rely on my pinkie quite a bit, so I use the first method.