Advice on eminence the governor speakers

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on eminence the governor speakers

stratznhatz
04-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi guys,

This is my first post so hope it's valid! :o I've recently fitted two eminence 'the governor' speakers to my 4x12 cab, in x-pattern with two G12t75's. I took the cab to rehearsal with my band (80's metal covers) expecting a big fat sound and was surprised to find that it sounded really thin with loads of treble compared to using four g12t75's. Now the g12t's are from the 90's (possibly 80's) so are well broken in whereas the governors are brand new, but I have run white noise through them for 8 hours and have played gig level guitar through them for about 10-15 hours but they don't seem any different. I had to run my amp (an all tube 50watt plexi clone) with virtually full bass and mid with the treble at 9 o'clock to get a useable tone. My guitar is in the Kramer baretta style with a bare knuckles 'cold sweat' pup in the bridge. Has anyone else tried a similar configuration?
I've heard nothing but good things about the govenor- eminences V30 clone- and it's well known to run g12t75's and V30's in x-pattern with good results. Could I have done something wrong? I'm fairly handy with modding gear but am no expert. They are all 8 Ohm speakers and wired in series/parallel thus giving 8 Ohms which I've checked.
Hope you guys can help!
Here's thanks in advance, cheers guys. :cool:

zakkwyldefan79
04-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Here's a link to The Ultimate Speaker Thread. If you post this there you'll probably get more helpful info.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823671

And Welcome to UG.

Phil Starr
04-17-2010, 08:18 PM
the Governors have a fs of 101hz and in a cab will start to roll off at 127 Hz well above E on your guitar.The sound will be dominated by the midrange peak. If your cab is small, less than 200l then the speakers will tail off even earlier.

Having said that, which means I wouldn't expect exceptional bass from the governors, check that you have wired up the speakers in phase. The series part should be + to - and the parallel part + to+ and - to -. if they are incorrectly wired you will lose all your bass.

stratznhatz
04-17-2010, 08:51 PM
My cab is a Marshall 8412 which is about as small as they can possibly be!
I'll open it up tomorrow to check the wiring is correct as well. Many thanks for the advice and if I still have problems I'll post in the ultimate speaker forum as zackwyldefan79 suggests.
Cheers guys and thanks for the welcome!
I'll let you know how I get on.

stratznhatz
04-18-2010, 07:58 AM
the Governors have a fs of 101hz and in a cab will start to roll off at 127 Hz well above E on your guitar.The sound will be dominated by the midrange peak. If your cab is small, less than 200l then the speakers will tail off even earlier.

Having said that, which means I wouldn't expect exceptional bass from the governors, check that you have wired up the speakers in phase. The series part should be + to - and the parallel part + to+ and - to -. if they are incorrectly wired you will lose all your bass.

Hi Phil, I've just checked the wiring and the polarity was correct, but I hadn't wired it in the x-pattern! I've just rewired it that way so I'll see if that makes any difference at next rehearsal.

Many thanks for your help, I'll let you know the results.

Cheers!

stratznhatz
04-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Hi Phil, I've just checked the wiring and the polarity was correct, but I hadn't wired it in the x-pattern! I've just rewired it that way so I'll see if that makes any difference at next rehearsal.

Many thanks for your help, I'll let you know the results.

Cheers!

Hi guys, just got back from rehearsal and can report that the cab still sounds thin to my ears. I'll post in the speaker forum to try and get some more info but I suspect they're just not for me :( . Thanks again for your advice.

Ethanb08
04-22-2010, 09:28 PM
From what I've heard the Governor is a speaker similar to the V30 but with less shrill on the highs... so its based a lot on your mids and highs, and not so much the lows... If you want more lows to give a "fatter" or "thicker" sound you should maybe look into Greenback based clones, like the Eminence Legend GB128s, or "The Tonker" Both of which are supposed to have fat/round agressive lows and moderate mids and highs.

stratznhatz
04-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I think I got sucked into what everyone was raving about instead of getting what I really wanted. I'm putting the old g12's back in tonight as I was happier with the sound. I guess you have to experiment but it's an expensive hobby!

Thanks for your advice, hope I can help you guys out one day,
Cheers.