Bands then and now!

PDA

View Full Version : Bands then and now!

BigDC
04-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Remember back in the day (80s early 90s) when metal ruled, and you had all those great bands you listened to and how great they sounded. Now fast forward to the 2000s.....Why do a lot of these awesome bands feel the need to update their sound to what they think is CURRENT when it is not that appealing?

Without naming names, it just seems like a lot of those great bands have changed their sound to a more modern day sound, and frankly a lot of it really sucks! It is obvious by how much of a fan base that they have lost that the fans do not care for it, so why do they do it? Seriously, look at how small of venues they end up playing in (and I mean the bands that really want to play big arenas still), their record (CD) sales are dropping like flies, and fans are abandoning them by the hundreds. Yet they still want to be that great sounding band they were back in the day.

Now on another note, take a look at some of the bands that have stayed tru to their 80s/90s style of music...They seem to be going strong, in fact they seem to be growing their fan base to a new generation, plus their retaining there old fans as well. Their sales are starting to increase, and their music is just as awesome nowq as it was back in the day!

So back to my original question (or rant)... Why do a lot of these awesome bands feel the need to update their sound to what they think is CURRENT when it is not that appealing?

C0FF1NCAS3
04-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Well most people are not updating as much as evolving. They are trying to advance and experiment. Look at Jeff Beck every time he comes out with a cd its a completely different sound, a new idea. Or look at Sabbath the difference between early Sabbath and current Sabbath are night an day, and that's just the direction the growth of the band took their sound. Its what happens. Granted I'm with you, I prefer to hear the classic sound your famous for rather than your new shit. But you know Ozzy wishes he didn't have to do Iron Man every night exactly the same, so I'd imagine when some one comes back out after not touring or writing for x number of years they figure an updated/new sound lets them get away with not being who they were even if that's who they are.