Emotional, Depressing songs?

PDA

View Full Version : Emotional, Depressing songs?

jktheman
04-19-2010, 03:33 PM
I''m in need of some good emotional, depressing songs, preferably acoustic but some heavies maybe. I'm not after actual "emo" music, just something that fits this.

thank you.

Kurt-Corgan
04-19-2010, 03:38 PM
"Asleep" by the Smiths
"This Night has opened my Eyes" by At the Drive-In (cover of the Smith's song)

jfreyvogel
04-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Anything off of the album Damnation by Opeth.

jktheman
04-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Anything off of the album Damnation by Opeth.
I love opeth. Is that a fully acoustic one? And, did you, ro anyone read about akerfeldt wanting to do an acoustic solo thing? Wow. I want to listen to that.

jfreyvogel
04-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I love opeth. Is that a fully acoustic one? And, did you, ro anyone read about akerfeldt wanting to do an acoustic solo thing? Wow. I want to listen to that.
It's all clean - you'll be able to play it acoustic just fine. Windowpane is really easy, try that. And yes I saw that about Akerfeldt, I'm pumped for it. I just saw them in NYC like 2 weeks ago. They were amazing.

EDIT: Also, maybe something by Alice in Chains? "I Stay Away" perhaps?

lookpizza
04-19-2010, 03:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzTlt5tTjPc
this guy
srsly

soundgarden19
04-19-2010, 04:00 PM
How Soon is Now by the Smiths or basically anything by the Smiths.

neidnarb11890
04-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Joy Division make The Smiths look like giddy school girls.

Somekid94
04-19-2010, 04:30 PM
The acoustic version of "Say Goodnight" by BFMV is pretty sad, and so is "Road to Nowhere" also by Bullet. "Blurry" by Puddle of Mud is another, and some of Three Days Grace songs are depressing too. Also, there are some Killswitch Engage songs that can be depressing like "End of Heartache" and "Arms of Sorrow." If you like country, Keith Anderson's "I still miss you" is sad as hell.

qotsa1998
04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Your Ex-Lover is Dead by Stars is a good one. Anything by Antony and the Johnsons, Werewolf by CocoRosie, or maybe some Postal Service. The Widow and Since We've Been Wrong by The Mars Volta are both good too.

soundgarden19
04-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Your Ex-Lover is Dead by Stars is a good one. Anything by Antony and the Johnsons, Werewolf by CocoRosie, or maybe some Postal Service. The Widow and Since We've Been Wrong by The Mars Volta are both good too.
Televators is pretty depressing.

hobson111
04-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Space Dimentia by Muse but has piano parts which may not be what you want.

Outerspacegrass
04-20-2010, 02:57 PM
alice in chains... pick any song

AustinxAtomic
04-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Talmidim (the servants) by For Today.

toyboxmonster
04-20-2010, 04:42 PM
"Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" and
"There is a Light That Never Goes Out",
by the Smiths.

"How To Disappear Completely",
"Fake Plastic Trees", and
"No Surprises"
by Radiohead.

"Out There" and
"Not The Same"
by Dinosaur Jr.

"Dagger" and
"Ballad of Sister Sue"
by Slowdive.

steve_muse
04-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Joy Division make The Smiths look like giddy school girls.

This.

Mean Mr Mustard
04-21-2010, 04:54 PM
"Hurt" by Johnny Cash
"Space Dye-Vest" by Dream Theater
"Wake up" by Coheed and Cambria

I cant imagine these not workng, but just in case:
"Mad World" by Gary Jules
"Macy's Day Parade" by Green Day
"Forget Her" by Jeff Buckley
"The Drugs Dont Work" by The Verve
Yep, that should do it

Dark Foxle
04-22-2010, 10:33 PM
pain three days grace is pretty depressing in my opinion.

Reevo
05-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Breathing Slowly Acoustic - Crossfade, might only be able to find it on youtube now. But dont get too depressed man, been there for ages, and i got outta it, and life's so much better now.

thedamon
05-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Day after day
Love turns grey
Like the skin on a dying man

But night after night
We pretend its alright

But I have grown older
And you have grow colder
And nothing is very much fun anymore...

Pink Floyd

romencer17
05-11-2010, 09:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMr61LyEV0

just read the lyrics

zuckuss00
05-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Street Spirit (Fade Out) - Radiohead

Quote from Thom:

"'Street Spirit' is our purest song, but I didn't write it.... It wrote itself. We were just its messengers... Its biological catylysts. It's core is a complete mystery to me... and (pause) you know, I wouldn't ever try to write something that hopeless... All of our saddest songs have somewhere in them at least a glimmer of resolve... 'Street Spirit' has no resolve... It is the dark tunnel without the light at the end. It represents all tragic emotion that is so hurtful that the sound of that melody is its only definition. We all have a way of dealing with that song... It's called detachment... Especially me.. I detach my emotional radar from that song, or I couldn't play it... I'd crack. I'd break down on stage.. that's why its lyrics are just a bunch of mini-stories or visual images as opposed to a cohesive explanation of its meaning... I used images set to the music that I thought would convey the emotional entirety of the lyric and music working together... That's what's meant by 'all these things are one to swallow whole'.. I meant the emotional entirety, because I didn't have it in me to articulate the emotion... (pause) I'd crack.... Our fans are braver than I to let that song penetrate them, or maybe they don't realize what they're listening to.. They don't realize that 'Street Spirit' is about staring the ****ing devil right in the eyes... and knowing, no matter what the hell you do, he'll get the last laugh...and it's real...and true. The devil really will get the last laugh in all cases without exception, and if I let myself think about that to long, I'd crack. I can't believe we have fans that can deal emotionally with that song... That's why I'm convinced that they don't know what it's about. It's why we play it towards the end of our sets. It drains me, and it shakes me, and hurts like hell everytime I play it, looking out at thousands of people cheering and smiling, oblivious to the tragedy of it's meaning, like when you're going to have your dog put down and it's wagging it's tail on the way there. That's what they all look like, and it breaks my heart.

I wish that song hadn't picked us as its catalysts, and so I don't claim it. It asks too much. (very long pause). I didn't write that song."

/ thread...

The Wildchild
05-12-2010, 12:59 AM
A Dying God Coming into Human Flesh.

a7xafterlife
05-12-2010, 04:38 PM
vermillion pt.2-slipknot. its acoustic.

YotamG
05-16-2010, 04:36 PM
You probably got enough acoustic songs... TIME FOR HEAVY!

The Sins of Thy Beloved - Lake of Sorrow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR4tm1xLziE&feature=related

EvilAngel93
05-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Every Alice in Chains song to date....specifically: Nutshell, Down in a Hole, Sickman, Them Bones, We Die Young, Love Hate Love, Private Hell, God Smack, Angry Chair Dirt, Hate to Feel....hell, just buy their entire 'Dirt' album, it's the sickest, most depressing, yet most awesomely intense howl from a heroin addict you'll ever hear.
Other than that, I can say Dying Youth, Russian Roulette, The Recipe, or Paralyzing Kings by 10 Years.

iwannabesedated
05-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Listen to Nirvana's Unplugged in New York.

In fact, listen to all the slow songs on In Utero, as they are depressing as ****.

dillon1022
05-20-2010, 10:34 PM
The Unnamed Feeling by Metallica is my favorite all time sad song.

jimmy_neutron
05-21-2010, 02:10 PM
When i was a younger angsty teen, and i was ever emotional, i would listen to nine lives(album) by aerosmith.

Alberthammond
05-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Joy Division- Closer. 24 hours. love shattered pride. nuff.
Smiths - actually quite uplifting if taken in the correct context. owd misery had sense of humour y'know.
BTW IC RIP

The final cut by the floyd. gunners dream. two suns.

An CD by v.a.s.t now lost somewhere in the "filing system"

and then theres always leonard cohen; the rem version of first we take manhatton wont exactly get em dancing

slipknot5678
05-23-2010, 02:26 AM
Many of Nine Inch Nail's songs (and whole albums).

which ones pink
05-27-2010, 02:58 AM
Stars Die by Porcupine Tree. Especially the live acoustic version on We Lost The Skyline.

Painkiller95
05-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Try Nothing Else Matters or Fade To Black by Metallica

Also, Judas Priest did an acoustic version of Diamonds and Rust. If anybody's interested in it who haven't already heard the acoustic version it's off the Rising In The East dvd. Just type in Judas Priest on youtube and it's the first video that comes up. Gets heavy towards the end but it's only for a very brief time.

Dmt8jr
05-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Nutshell- alice in chains
anything by staind.

spiritcrusher91
05-31-2010, 07:06 AM
The Ship by Swallow the Sun...it's slow, melodic, heavy, and depressing.

:devil:

Maxtronik
05-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTa2Bzlbjv0
Save Tonight - Eagle Eye Cherry

This song is very good

BobStinsonRules
06-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Rozz Williams- Flowers

Oh And Both Faith And Disintegration by The Cure

But why do you want depressing music??