GAS: ENGL Fireball 100 vs Peavey 6505+ vs ENGL Blackmore

PDA

View Full Version : GAS: ENGL Fireball 100 vs Peavey 6505+ vs ENGL Blackmore

SCopeland24
04-25-2010, 09:31 AM
I've been gasing for a new amp and I have narrowed it down to these three; The ENGL Blackmore, Fireball 100, and Peavey 6505+.

I want to get an amp for lower tuning (C Standard and lower) and can do extreme metal and heavy prog. Which one of these can nail extreme metal tones and have a great clean sound. The amp(s) would be run through a 2x12 cab with V30s and I have a Keeley TS-9 for a boost if needed.

Basically I would use the amp for Death Metal, Melodic Death Metal, Prog Metal, and other forms of extreme metal in the vein of bands like In Flames, At the Gates, Amon Amarth, Dethklok, Nevermore, Dream Theater, Carcass, Arch Enemy, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Cannibal Corpse, and Machine Head.

So which amp would work the best for what I'm looking for?

*My price range is $1000-1500 give or take a couple hundred dollars.

Guitar-KID125
04-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Really all of them but i'd personally go with the savage if you were set on the ENGL path
I'd rather go with the SE but...

SCopeland24
04-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Well Savage is out of my price range...which I forgot to post. Let me fix that.

JagerSlushy
04-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Out of the Fireball and the 6505+, I'd definitely take the Fireball. The 6505+'s cleans suck.

Never played a Blackmore though. Check out the ENGL Powerball too.

Guitar-KID125
04-25-2010, 10:00 AM
^yeah id go with the fireball 100 aswell but seriously TS go try these amp out there isnt much difference between all of them other than the ENGL's having a better clean channel and different voicing the the peavey.

SCopeland24
04-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Well I've tried the Peavey and well... One I tried sucked ass and was stail, lifeless, toneless, and just plan gay. Another one had a crap clean and the distortion was dark but i couldnt really tell if I liked it or not because I had a guitar tuned to E standard and I wanted to try it with a low tuned guitar.

And the third 6505+ was the magic one. It was a used head and obviously was either modded or retubed and biased hotter. But it sounded incredible. I had a guitar tuned to drop B/C standard and it sounded pretty damn good, hell even the clean channel was better.

As for the ENGLs where I live, there isn't a store in probably a 300/400 mile radius that sells ENGLs. I don't even remember seeing one in LA when I visited last, and thats about a 3 hour drive from my town.

kambing69
04-25-2010, 10:17 AM
The 6505+ is ur best bet i think but the clean is not great but usable. . ENGL you need to try yourself because it a love/hate amp, someppl will love it but some wont. . I dont like powerball ( tried about 30 min only) but i like savage . . You just need to try them.. . Good luck~

SCopeland24
04-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Well crap and I have no clue where I'm going to find an ENGL Fireball or Blackmore anywhere in state.

kambing69
04-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Well dont buy it if u never tried it. . . Relax take a time, this is big purchased you going to make~

Just 2 cent~

Lr-Mtb
04-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Well, I have no experience with any of the amps, but I think I would go for the Blackmore, because it just sounds amazing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MPslfXqFa4). (not my video).

Wizard of Ozz
04-25-2010, 11:40 AM
You can buy a used Engl Savage in the $1700 range. And if you can come up with the extra $200, that's what I'd recommend. I love the Savage. There's one for sale on another forum for $1700. If not, the Engl FB 100 will also get the job done, just less versatile, with a more scooped mid voicing.

My rig:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r88/1987JMP/rig94.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r88/1987JMP/rig90.jpg

I've also owned the 6505+, and it is a cool amp, but kind of limited as far as tones go. It's the best bang-for-buck of all three.

SCopeland24
04-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Damn, can you will me your rig, lol. If I can find a used Savage for that price then I'll get that. So does the Peavey 6505+ not have as good of a lead tone since its a bit rawer sounded than the ENGLs? And how easy is it to set up the ENGLs. I'm skeptical about the Blackmore because I don't like the idea of having four channels share an EQ, I never read if the Blackmore is midi enabled or not.

Wizard of Ozz
04-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Damn, can you will me your rig, lol. If I can find a used Savage for that price then I'll get that. So does the Peavey 6505+ not have as good of a lead tone since its a bit rawer sounded than the ENGLs? And how easy is it to set up the ENGLs. I'm skeptical about the Blackmore because I don't like the idea of having four channels share an EQ, I never read if the Blackmore is midi enabled or not.

Sent you a PM.

The Blackmore is not midi capable, but I think you can buy a midi converter box from Engl. The only Engls that have direct midi in ports are the SE and Invader.

I also recommend the Engls over the 6505+... for several reasons.

MatrixClaw
04-25-2010, 08:50 PM
The 6505+'s cleans suck.
Maybe if you don't know how to use it :shrug:

SCopeland24
04-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Ok another thing. I just tuned down my Gibson SG to C and played it through my Carvin V3 (it has 6L6s; Sovtek; the gibson has d-activator xs in it) and the tone was very rectifierish and all kinds of harsh and all the tone you'd expect out of a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.

So the question would be, does the Peavey 6505+ have a similar harshness to it, and if so, how the hell do guitarists like Bjorn and Jesper get those tones out of the peaveys? And how does the tone of the ENGLs compare to the rectifierish type of tone?

thrasher.
04-25-2010, 11:15 PM
ENGL Blackmore.

TheBrownPenguin
04-26-2010, 12:14 AM
I think you wouldnt go wrong with either of the ENGL's

SCopeland24
04-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Ok then whats the main difference between the Firball 100 and the Blackmore in terms of the higher gain channels?

Wizard of Ozz
04-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Ok then whats the main difference between the Firball 100 and the Blackmore in terms of the higher gain channels?

I've not played the Blackmore, but after talking to several people that have it has a more old-school metal voicing, more mids, than the Fireball which has a more modern (more bass, more scooped mid sound) voicing.

There's also the new Powerball II... which I'd like to try as well. :devil: