Punk Riffs/Licks??

PDA

View Full Version : Punk Riffs/Licks??

Slapp62
04-28-2010, 01:41 AM
I already posted this in riffs but the mod said I would be better off posting here so...

Any tips on coming up with good punk riffs and licks?

axeslash
04-28-2010, 02:25 AM
There's no huge secret to punk riffs and licks.

Listen to all the music you like in the punk genre. Learn to play a lot of the songs that you like, easy and difficult. Do this for a while.

There's not really a style or secret to writing punk songs. The only thing you really need to focus on is how to structure a song and how to make one riff/progression flow into another. That's it.

lavazza
04-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Axe said fine things, and you should always keep in mind, that pretending to be a guitar god is nothing that makes a good punk riff.

I_Pwn
04-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Make sure you have lots of tapping and pinch harmonics.

BrianApocalypse
04-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Punk guitarists aren't very good or imaginitive, so just play 4 random power chords, then pick another 4 random power chords, and there's your song.

Also, don't have a guitar solo, unless it's the one from "We are 138".

SKAtastic7770
04-28-2010, 11:50 AM
As for lead playing, if you really felt the need, old chuck berry licks can be pretty punk.

Zero Substance
04-28-2010, 12:12 PM
take discharge songs, speed them up, and play through failing equipment. it's called dbeat. you'll be punk as ****.

werty22
04-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Put stickers on the guitar.

whyvern
04-28-2010, 05:18 PM
beer.

badgerific
04-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Do a wheelie.

werty22
04-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Left + R button + Circle button + Circle button

neidnarb11890
04-28-2010, 09:17 PM
-Do lots of heroin
-Tune all yr strings to the same note
-Use lots of distortion
-Hit yr guitar strings with knives*

You can also try adding lots of reverb.

*Disclaimer: Don't use sharp knives. I don't want any kids getting hurt.

iwannabesedated
04-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Step 1: Play power chord
Step 2: Move up five frets, play power chord
Step 3: Move up two frets, play power chord
Step 4: Go back to first power chord.
Step 5: Repeat

Lots O' FX
04-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Step 2: Move up five frets, play power chord
Step 3: Move up two frets, play power chord
Step 4: Go back to first power chord.
Step 5: Repeat

Whoa easy there Mr. Wakeman.

the true secret to punk is:

Step 2: Repeat

di4gram
04-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Solo-wise: Classic rock/garage rock type things (someone mentioned Chuck Berry) sound good with the upped distortion. In my opinion it has more to do with tone, on the cleaner side but still with a bite to it (I don't have a second guitarist so I need to be able to play lead and rhythm interchangeably, which means palm muting "chug" without a metallic lead sound).

Chord-wise: Whatever you like.

Basically the best way to write punk music is to write about what you care about and make it sound good to you. If it falls under punk, then awesome. If not, then at least you're happy with it. No matter what it sounds like, some idiot is going to spit on it because that's just how it works, so the only opinion that matters is yours.

Slapp62
04-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Those progressingly absurd replies cracked me up. :haha:

Mr Pringle
05-05-2010, 04:37 AM
i've written like 3 punk rock riffs in my life, they're all derived from scales and i make someone else do a 4 chord rhythm. I just play around when i'm watching TV, if i come up with a riff then i write it down in my trusty notebook.

fivepointnine
05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
the punk song is not a structure masterpiece, like someone above said, pick 3-6 power chords, play in a progression of choice, then pick 3-5 different powerchords for a chorus, maybe get fancy and throw a bridge in there if youre feeling really froggy! old Social D is a good reference point. Punk is about the words and attitude more than the music.

BrianApocalypse
05-05-2010, 12:54 PM
the punk song is not a structure masterpiece, like someone above said, pick 3-6 power chords, play in a progression of choice, then pick 3-5 different powerchords for a chorus, maybe get fancy and throw a bridge in there if youre feeling really froggy! old Social D is a good reference point. Punk is about the words and attitude more than the music.

Slander mi'lud! :p:

Of course the punk song is a structural masterpiece.

Listen to the delights of the band Gallows (IMO, the best group out there since the Clash. Their incredible songs conquer castles with distorted passages, scale mountains with sustained riffage, and woo Damsels with a lovely 1/2 time breakdown, a uniquely original touch, no other band ever has done that in the history of music. Yes, it's definitely not like EVERY band from the last 5 years has a breakdown in their song to the extent that it's a musicological cliche

Also, their singer and guitarist definitely aren't excessively small-framed inbred weak-chinned ginger rat people.

Utterly delightful band, awesome! :rolleyes:

nashawa
05-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Slander mi'lud! :p:

Of course the punk song is a structural masterpiece.

Listen to the delights of the band Gallows (IMO, the best group out there since the Clash. Their incredible songs conquer castles with distorted passages, scale mountains with sustained riffage, and woo Damsels with a lovely 1/2 time breakdown, a uniquely original touch, no other band ever has done that in the history of music. Yes, it's definitely not like EVERY band from the last 5 years has a breakdown in their song to the extent that it's a musicological cliche

Also, their singer and guitarist definitely aren't excessively small-framed inbred weak-chinned ginger rat people.

Utterly delightful band, awesome! :rolleyes:

Not used to seeing you troll. It's amusing.

werty22
05-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Sarcasm isn't quite the same as trolling.

nashawa
05-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Well it can be depending on how it's used.

Regardless, I found it amusing.

BrianApocalypse
05-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Sarcasm isn't quite the same as trolling.

This, I wouldn't troll here, because that would be disrespectful, even though I'd probably get away with it because the regulars would know that I'm just being my playful self. ;)